Free Caltech class: The Evolving Universe

The cosmos at our fingertips.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Free Caltech class: The Evolving Universe

Post by owlice » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:46 am

The superlative and rockin' Dr. George Djorgovski, Professor of Astronomy at Caltech, is teaching The Evolving Universe, an introductory class that is a "survey of the physical universe and its constituents, including the formation, function, and evolution of stars, galaxies, black holes, quasars, and more." Free, free, free, and with Dr. Djorgovski! Enjoy!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: Free Caltech class: The Evolving Universe

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:04 am

Thanks for the info - I'm going straight over to sign up.

Also, Professor Mike Brown of Caltech is offering The Science of the Solar System!

I've just started it and it is WONDERFUL. And also FREE :shock:

Amazing, simply amazing...
M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:56 am

Djorgovski's intro astronomy class, "The Evolving Universe" went live on-line yesterday at 2 pm PST, in edX:

https://www.edx.org/course/caltechx/cal ... verse-1686

It is intended for non-astro/phys major freshmen, and it follows his Caltech class (Ay 1) with a 3 week delay. It is free, as all MOOCs are these days.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:54 pm

I think I can handle introductory calculus but "Knowledge of physics at a solid introductory university level" is screwing with me. I doubt that the physics review book of Pat's I worked something like halfway through counts as "solid introductory university level" and not making it to general (or was it special I needed to know?) relativity is probably not acceptable. I could probably muddle my way through...
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:01 pm

I'm on the Evolving Universe course - try it and see, geckzilla.
Several other people from the Caltech Science of the Solar System course https://class.coursera.org/solarsystem-001 are trying it as well. And are lined up for this one from the University of Edinburgh AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery

M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS