nightskylive.net web site status

The cosmos at our fingertips.
RJN
Baffled Boffin

nightskylive.net web site status

Post by RJN » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:44 pm

I noticed last night that I could not access the nightskylive.net from home. I think the problem was with Michigan Tech's Internet connection in general because also http://www.mtu.edu was not responding. Google.com responded just fine, though. Things appear to have retrurned to normal now. The outage was unexpected.

- RJN

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:50 pm

Much of the computations and processing for NSL images have just today been moved to a math coprocessing machine that can access the same disks as the nightskylive.net main computer. The new math machine has dual P4 processors and is several times faster than the old machine, which will be retained solely as a web server. Thanks to Dave Torrey and Lior Shamir for their work on this. The good news is that the old machine will now be able to serve web pages like found in the Asterisk* much faster than before! The bad news is that some unexpected errors are likely to occur over the next day or two.

- RJN

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Power outage on 2004 August 18/19

Post by RJN » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:40 pm

A power outage at Michigan Tech caused the nightskylive web site and the Asterisk* bulletin board to go down. The remote stations were not affected but their images could not be uploaded or displayed at nightskylive.net until power returned, the home concam.net computer rebooted, and the programs rerun. Things are now (mostly) back to normal. We apologize for the unexpected outage.

- RJN