ESA council successful conclusion

The cosmos at our fingertips.
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

ESA council successful conclusion

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:45 pm

In the video of the press conference, M. Jean-Jacques Dordain, the Director-General of the European Space Agency, looked mightily satisfied and spoke of there being €15 billion (~$18.5 billion) committed from member states over the next five years.

(I'm assuming that this was meaning 1000 million= one billion, not the usage - still common in Europe - of 1,000,000 million = one billion! M. Dordain was speaking in French and I was listening to the simultaneous translation into English. The translator would probably have translated the French "milliard" as "billion")

He also spoke of €6 billion, which seems to be new money committed by the member states today in response to his funding proposals.

The video is available at this link below and a pdf of the Resolutions can also be downloaded.
Successful Conclusion of ESA council at Ministerial level
2 December 2014 ESA today concluded a productive one-day Council meeting at ministerial level in Luxembourg.

Ministers of ESA Member States agreed the further development of a family of new launchers, and approved funding for the International Space Station and space exploration.

In addition, Ministers set a course for ESA to remain an independent, world-class intergovernmental space organisation.
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Re: ESA council successful conclusion

Post by starsurfer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Glad to see money still being commited to astronomical research! :D

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: ESA council successful conclusion

Post by MargaritaMc » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:08 pm

BBC: Europe to press ahead with Ariane 6 rocket

Research ministers have approved the development of a new rocket for Europe.

The Ariane 6 will succeed the Ariane 5, which, although highly successful, is now facing stiff competition on price.

The politicians believe industry will find the new vehicle cheaper to construct and to operate.

European Space Agency member states authorised the project at a special council meeting in Luxembourg, where they also agreed funding for the space station and a rover to go to Mars.

All up, the Esa nations came forward with 5.924bn euros in contributions to cover a number of programmes over the next few years.

"I think I can summarise this ministerial council by saying it is a success; I'd even go so far as to say that it is a great success," said agency director-general Jean-Jacques Dordain.
M

PS. I've just found this informative discussion of the nitty gritty details behind this agreement at the Nasa Spaceflight forum.
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS