Solar Polar Alignment

The cosmos at our fingertips.
BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Solar Polar Alignment

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:36 pm

As most know, the Earth's North Pole is roughly aligned with Polaris, the North Star, located near 90 degrees north on the celestial sphere. Where though are the Sun's polar points located? Edit: To what points on the sky do the Sun's poles point?

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Solar Polar Alignment

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:15 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:As most know, the Earth's North Pole is roughly aligned with Polaris, the North Star, located near 90 degrees north on the celestial sphere. Where though are the Sun's polar points located? Edit: To what points on the sky do the Sun's poles point?
The Sun, which is curiously tilted with respect to the ecliptic, has its north pole at 286.1°+63.9°, placing it in Draco, a few degrees from delta Dra (Altais). The Sun's south pole is at 106.1° -63.9°.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:The Sun, which is curiously tilted with respect to the ecliptic, has its north pole at 286.1°+63.9°, placing it in Draco, a few degrees from delta Dra (Altais). The Sun's South Pole is at 106.1° -63.9°.
Thanks. I couldn't find these points myself. I did find that the Sun's obliquely to the ecliptic is 7.25 degrees, which I surmise is the angle between due north or south to those points.

It is curious that the Sun's rotation is tilted by 7.25 degrees to the plane of the ecliptic, since everything in the solar system was formed from the same collapsing cloud of gas and dust. (Please don't think that I doubt this for any reason, because I don't.)

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:36 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:It is curious that the Sun's rotation is tilted by 7.25 degrees to the plane of the ecliptic, since everything in the solar system was formed from the same collapsing cloud of gas and dust. (Please don't think that I doubt this for any reason, because I don't.)
Its tilt is closer to 6° from the invariable plane, which is mostly determined by Jupiter, and is therefore very close to Jupiter's orbital plane. There has been some work over the last year or two arguing why this might be.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:30 am

Chris Peterson wrote:Its tilt is closer to 6° from the invariable plane, which is mostly determined by Jupiter, and is therefore very close to Jupiter's orbital plane. There has been some work over the last year or two arguing why this might be.
So, another clue to the existence of the elusive Planet X, err, 9? Cool.

Bruce

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Wed May 03, 2017 11:25 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:Its tilt is closer to 6° from the invariable plane, which is mostly determined by Jupiter, and is therefore very close to Jupiter's orbital plane. There has been some work over the last year or two arguing why this might be.

Bruce
Nibiru is coming! Prepare for doom! :lol2:

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed May 03, 2017 1:46 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
Its tilt is closer to 6° from the invariable plane, which is mostly determined by Jupiter, and is therefore very close to Jupiter's orbital plane. There has been some work over the last year or two arguing why this might be.
Jupiter's tilted reign on the invariable plane Planet Nine might explain :?:
Art Neuendorffer