Tips for Total Solar Eclipse Videos

The cosmos at our fingertips.
BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Tips for Total Solar Eclipse Videos

Postby BDanielMayfield » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:16 am

For those planing to be in the path of totality on August 21 are there any tips for taking good recordings of this event? We have iPhone & iPad devices, and want to capture as much as possible of this rare astronomical treat.

Bruce
"Happy are the peaceable ... "

Case
Commander

Re: Tips for Total Solar Eclipse Videos

Postby Case » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:59 pm

As cool as some direct imaging is, I also love the projected images and the leaf-filtered ‘pinhole camera’ multi images.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Postby BDanielMayfield » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:32 am

Thanks for that Case. I do have a spotting scope that I mainly use for birding, which could be used for projected images. I'd need to be extremely protective though lest someone tries looking directly through it during the partial phases. Maybe I'll set it up high in the bed of my pickup.

Bruce

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Postby Fred the Cat » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Last eclipse I made a cap for my 4 inch reflector with safety film. It worked pretty well.

Hope the ISS astronauts get a decent view too. 8-)
Feynman's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Postby BDanielMayfield » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:25 am

Thanks Fred. I wonder if there is a possible substitute like a very thin tin foil that could be used as a filter. I also don't want to overheat the inside of my spotting scope.

Bruce

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Postby Chris Peterson » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:18 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:Thanks Fred. I wonder if there is a possible substitute like a very thin tin foil that could be used as a filter. I also don't want to overheat the inside of my spotting scope.

No, that will be opaque. Full aperture solar filters are either glass or some kind of coated plastic. Almost everyone agrees that the Baader film works very well, maybe best. It's cheap and easy to work with. That's what I would suggest (and there is no concern about your scope getting warm or damaged).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Postby BDanielMayfield » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:03 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
BDanielMayfield wrote:Thanks Fred. I wonder if there is a possible substitute like a very thin tin foil that could be used as a filter. I also don't want to overheat the inside of my spotting scope.

No, that will be opaque. Full aperture solar filters are either glass or some kind of coated plastic. Almost everyone agrees that the Baader film works very well, maybe best. It's cheap and easy to work with. That's what I would suggest (and there is no concern about your scope getting warm or damaged).

But if the spotting scope was used to project an image without the use of such a filter there would be a real risk of damage to the scope, right?

Bruce

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Postby Chris Peterson » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:20 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:

But if the spotting scope was used to project an image without the use of such a filter there would be a real risk of damage to the scope, right?

Yes, you could damage the interior if your pointing was off, or even the eyepiece lenses if they are cemented together. But as long as the aperture is under a couple of inches, you're unlikely to have a problem.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Postby BDanielMayfield » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:44 pm

Well, better safe than sorry, so I think I'll go ahead and order a sheet of film then. One sheet could be used to make filters for my scope, binoculars, and even eyeglasses.

Thanks for the tips.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Postby BDanielMayfield » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:48 pm

But my initial question is about iPhones and iPads. Is it ok to video the sun with cellphones, etc.?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Postby Chris Peterson » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:53 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:Well, better safe than sorry, so I think I'll go ahead and order a sheet of film then. One sheet could be used to make filters for my scope, binoculars, and even eyeglasses.

Thanks for the tips.

Note, however, that the film is for visual and photographic use. You can't use a filtered telescope for projection.

This is the one I made for my new refractor. The ripples look scary to anyone used to normal optics, but they're normal and cause no problems at all. If you try stretching the stuff out, that's when you may create issues. I made this on my 3D printer, but simple cardboard designs work just as well.

IMG_20170707_104835p.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Postby Chris Peterson » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:55 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:But my initial question is about iPhones and iPads. Is it ok to video the sun with cellphones, etc.?

You won't damage the devices. I doubt that the results will be very good, however. If those are your only options, you might consider an external lens to give you a much longer focal length.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Case
Commander

Postby Case » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:04 pm

There are smartphone adaptors for optical instruments for sale. So that the lenses align well and they stay in position (no shaky hands).
Some are tailored towards specific model smartphone, but more often to a specific model scope. Some are for more general use and very adaptable. Some are easy to use and sturdy, some less so. Some are cheap, and eh, some should be considered with very frequent use, because of the price.
The Carson products seem to get good reviews (compared to similar).

Return to “The Asterisk Café: Discuss Anything Astronomy Related”