APODs not in Starship

The cosmos at our fingertips.
LuigiF
Ensign

APODs not in Starship

Post by LuigiF » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:20 pm

I'm wondering if all the images published at the APOD web page come from Starship Asterisk.
Most of them have never been published here. Is there another preferential channel where to send our pictures?
All the times I've sent the images directly to the editors Nemiroff and Bonnell they have been redirected here.
Thank you

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APODs not in Starship

Post by Ann » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:45 pm

LuigiF wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:20 pm I'm wondering if all the images published at the APOD web page come from Starship Asterisk.
Most of them have never been published here. Is there another preferential channel where to send our pictures?
All the times I've sent the images directly to the editors Nemiroff and Bonnell they have been redirected here.
Thank you
LuigiF, I don't think you can make Nemroff and Bonnell accept one of your images as an APOD just because you send some of your images to them.

What you can do is post one or more of your own images in the Latest Sky Photography forum. If you want to post a picture of your own, you should post it in the latest Recent Submissions thread, not in the Found Images thread.

Read here how you should go about posting an image at Starship Asterisk*.

Good luck!

Ann
Color Commentator

LuigiF
Ensign

Post by LuigiF » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:03 am

this is not the point Ann. I see at the APOD NASA web page images that have never been posted here

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:42 am

doesn't this post belong in the post anything thread?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:59 am

The editors have some assistants (or assistant, not sure if there is more than one at a time) who help post images to Asterisk, and that's how they end up over here even if they're only submitted via email.

...however, there are some folks who do not want to be seen submitting APODs, and those are the ones you see sometimes make it on APOD though they are not submitted elsewhere. You can request this when you submit via email.

I have gotten a few APODs without submitting them myself. I used to submit my favorites, but at some point I felt too involved personally with the editors with the various things I help out with around the place, and felt like it was a conflict of interest, so I stopped submitting. Dr. Nemiroff seems to rarely look through my website or Flickr gallery and pick one, usually before he goes on a holiday and needs to set up a long lineup. I believe my circumstances are unique, though. Most of the ones you never see posted are due to whatever personal reasons photographers have.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.