James Webb

The cosmos at our fingertips.
BaldEagle
Asternaut

James Webb

Post by BaldEagle » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:35 am

Aside from looking deeper into space, what new revelations should we expect to see with the James Webb?

Will the Webb take us further toward the big bang and fine-tuning of the age of the Universe? If so, how far into the beginning of spacetime?

What will the various filtering show us? Will we be able to see into the center of galaxies?

Will the Webb allow us to see deeper into our own Milky Way galaxy?

How much improved detail can we expect viewing galaxies? Individual stars? And/or planets?

Thank you.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: James Webb

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:25 am

BaldEagle wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:35 am
Aside from looking deeper into space, what new revelations should we expect to see with the James Webb?

Will the Webb take us further toward the big bang and fine-tuning of the age of the Universe? If so, how far into the beginning of spacetime?

What will the various filtering show us? Will we be able to see into the center of galaxies?

How much improved detail can we expect viewing galaxies? Individual stars? And/or planets?

Thank you.
I'm really excited about the James Webb; and I wish it was in orbit already! I think it will really open up the nearby universe to really great knowledge of the neighboring stars as well as deep space!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Of all the Asterisk Cafes, in all the towns, in all the world, BaldEagle walks into mine…
BaldEagle wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:35 am

I heard those questions once — as a matter of fact, I’ve heard a lot of questions in my time.
They began with the sound of a tinny piano playing in a parlor downstairs…”

orin stepanek wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:25 am

I'm really excited about the James Webb; and I wish it was in orbit already! I think it will really open up the nearby universe to really great knowledge of the neighboring stars as well as deep space!
And if, perchance, JWST never becomes operational...we’ll always have Hubble.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:11 pm

neufer wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:55 pm

orin stepanek wrote:

I hope that doesn't happen! Isn't that a reason it's taking as long to git it up? To make sure everything is going to go as planed?🤞
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:59 am

orin stepanek wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:11 pm
neufer wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:55 pm
orin stepanek wrote:

I hope that doesn't happen! Isn't that a reason it's taking as long to git it up?
To make sure everything is going to go as planed?🤞
  • The curse of Hubble:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Space_Telescope wrote:
<<The JWST has a history of major cost overruns and delays which have resulted in part from outside factors such as delays in deciding on a launch vehicle and adding extra funding for contingencies. By 2006, $1 billion had been spent on developing JWST, with the budget at about $4.5 billion at that time. A 2006 article in the journal Nature noted a study in 1984 by the Space Science Board, which estimated that a next generation infrared observatory would cost $4 billion (about $7 billion in 2006 dollars). By October 2019, the estimated cost of the project had reached $10 billion for launch in 2021.>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Space_Telescope wrote:
<<By early 1986, the planned HST launch date of October that year looked feasible, but the Challenger accident brought the U.S. space program to a halt, grounding the Space Shuttle fleet and forcing the launch of Hubble to be postponed for several years. The telescope had to be kept in a clean room, powered up and purged with nitrogen, until a launch could be rescheduled. This costly situation (about US$6 million per month) pushed the overall costs of the project even higher. Furthermore, the ground software needed to control Hubble was not ready in 1986, and was barely ready by the 1990 launch.

Eventually, following the resumption of shuttle flights in 1988, the launch of the telescope was scheduled for 1990. On April 24, 1990, Space Shuttle Discovery successfully launched the telescope into its planned orbit during the STS-31 mission. From its original total cost estimate of about US$400 million, the telescope cost about US$4.7 billion by the time of its launch. Hubble's cumulative costs were estimated to be about US$10 billion in 2010, twenty years after launch.

Within weeks of the launch of the telescope, the returned images indicated a serious problem with the optical system. Although the first images appeared to be sharper than those of ground-based telescopes, Hubble failed to achieve a final sharp focus and the best image quality obtained was drastically lower than expected. Images of point sources spread out over a radius of more than one arcsecond, instead of having a point spread function (PSF) concentrated within a circle 0.1 arcsec in diameter, as had been specified in the design criteria.

Analysis of the flawed images revealed that the primary mirror had been polished to the wrong shape. Although it was probably the most precisely figured optical mirror ever made, smooth to about 10 nm (0.4 μin), the outer perimeter was too flat by about 2,200 nm. This difference was catastrophic, introducing severe spherical aberration, a flaw in which light reflecting off the edge of a mirror focuses on a different point from the light reflecting off its center.>>
Art Neuendorffer