APOD: Highlights of the North Autumn Sky (2018 Sep 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Highlights of the North Autumn Sky (2018 Sep 25)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:05 am

Image Highlights of the North Autumn Sky

Explanation: What can you see in the night sky this season? The featured graphic gives a few highlights for Earth's northern hemisphere. Viewed as a clock face centered at the bottom, early (northern) autumn sky events fan out toward the left, while late autumn events are projected toward the right. Objects relatively close to Earth are illustrated, in general, as nearer to the cartoon figure with the telescope at the bottom center -- although almost everything pictured can be seen without a telescope. As happens during any season, constellations appear the same year to year, and, as usual, the Leonids meteor shower will peak in mid-November. Also as usual, the International Space Station (ISS) can be seen, at times, as a bright spot drifting across the sky after sunset. Planets visible after sunset this autumn include Jupiter and Mars, and during late autumn, Saturn.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Highlights of the North Autumn Sky (2018 Sep 25)

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:43 am

Thanks for the "heads up"....

:---[===] *

CFauble

Post by CFauble » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:28 pm

I believe the information regarding the planets is in error. Mars and Saturn are currently visible in the first half of the night and Jupiter is setting shortly after sun down in October.

Visual_Astronomer

Post by Visual_Astronomer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:28 pm

I must admit that I find this graphic rather confusing. Surely there is a better way to present this data.