The Star Trails of Kilimanjaro

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Joan Girones
Ensign
AKA: jgirop

The Star Trails of Kilimanjaro

Post by Joan Girones » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:50 am

HI.

The image of today Sep 11, “The Star Trails of Kilimanjaro” was also published on 2003 March 7.

The text says: “The view from this famous equatorial African mountain is toward the south, putting the South Celestial Pole close to the horizon…”.

Both texts, from 2003 and from 2004, talk about South Pole.

I saw the image from 2003 published on the Catalan mirror; I’ll try to translate a bit of text from Catalan:
“The view from this famous equatorial African mountain is toward the north, and Polaris, the polar star, putting close to the horizon…”.

So, I guess that the text was modified just before to be published, of some time after releasing it, and I don’t got it.

Unfortunately, I never saw South Pole, but the image appears closely to north pole, with a “fixed” star on the center of the concentric arcs.

In fact, the city of Moshi is at the South of Mt. Kilimanjaro, and therefore this image is captured towards South Pole, otherwise Kilimanjaro itself should hide Polaris star. Furthermore Moshi is around 3 degrees latitude south.

Greetings
Joan Gironès Pau
Catalan APOD mirror

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:28 pm

Does anyone understand what mobilefantasy is saying? I thought all posts were supposed to be in English
Orin

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:46 pm

Apparently the link is to a russian language web site the original post was probably written in the cryllic alphabet and not understood by most p.c.'s

Or maybe their keyboard map is messed up.