Multiverses, March 1, 2006

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
FieryIce
Science Officer

Multiverses, March 1, 2006

Post by FieryIce » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:06 pm

Multiverses??

APOD must be kidding!! I am still asking where has all the intelligence gone?
Tic Toc

ta152h0
Schooled

multiverse

Post by ta152h0 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:40 pm

Maybe APOD missed the April Fool's joke by exactly one month :D
Wolf Kotenberg

oamaam
Asternaut

multiverses

Post by oamaam » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:44 pm

not only was that disturbing to view, it was also offensive on several levels. not what i've come to expect after 4 years visiting the astronomy pic of the day.

fastartceetoo
Ensign

Post by fastartceetoo » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:59 pm

This stuff belongs on some mystic page, not APOD! It goes right along with such heady stuff as the long-running theological debate 'how many angels can fit on the head of a pin?'

All 'parallel universe' theories are absolutely untestable, and hence unverifiable, and hence have nothing whatsoever to do with science, or astronomy.

If these folks wish to contemplate that umpteen gazillion universes have come into existence since I started typing this message (oops! ...another gazillion! ...another gazillion! ...another gazillion!) I think that they should contemplate their theories--and their navels--elsewhere.

ta152h0
Schooled

multiverse

Post by ta152h0 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:35 pm

I agree, it belongs to the other APOD ( Astrology Post of the Day ). I remember the physics professor telling our class that if you can't assign numbers/units of measure to it, it doesn't exist .
Wolf Kotenberg

marges90
Asternaut

Well...

Post by marges90 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:16 pm

All science is theory until proven. To not ponder, is to not achieve.

Martin
Science Officer

Post by Martin » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:14 pm

Ignorance does not an argument make.

I appreciate a change of scenery now and then. It brings out the less tolerant and unimaginative folk around us.

J D Writer
Asternaut

multiverse

Post by J D Writer » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:15 pm

CRAP! and to those who think it's interesting or imaginative I suggest a healthy enema for their cranium.

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:50 pm

agreed
i come to APOD to see fantastic images of REAL things

fastartceetoo
Ensign

Re: Well...

Post by fastartceetoo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:34 am

marges90 wrote:All science is theory until proven. To not ponder, is to not achieve.
The point is, marges90, any 'multiverse theory' *cannot* be tested, hence it *cannot* be proven. This kind of 'pondering' will achieve exactly nothing.

People have every right to theorize anything; astrologers have every right to ponder or assert any belief. But APOD should not present it in the context of astronomy or science.

It does not constitute intolerance to point out that this was a poor choice of content for an astronomy site.

dbrownuu
Asternaut

Sensational Speculation

Post by dbrownuu » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:25 am

Like a lot of other folks, I found the artists rendering of some quantum speculation out of place on the APOD. I gave up reading Scientific American some mnths ago for the same reason - they seemed to be seeking something sensational to publish on the theory this would atdtract more customers. Well it lost one, and I now read with great interest the American Scientist, which has a healthy perspective on fancy speculation and a wonderful collection of articles which always teach me something I did not know I wanted to know!
I am hopeful the APOD will hear the voice of the People and give up any more of the nonesense none of us liked.

Pete
Science Officer
AKA: Long John LeBone

Re: Well...

Post by Pete » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:25 am

marges90 wrote:All science is theory until proven. To not ponder, is to not achieve.
Theories can never be proven, only disproven.

Martin
Science Officer

Post by Martin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:53 pm

In case you didn't know....

The Total Universe is not bound by our ability to understand and measure it. :shock:

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:39 am

Hello all

Re the link: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060301.html

It states that :"Some multiverse hypotheses may therefore be great fun to think about but not practically falsifiable and therefore have no predictive scientific value"

I think the APOD gives us a round about nothing.

Still its worth stating that???????

As to the question. Is there Multi-universes?

If the Universe is all, how can all have parts.

So! No
Harry : Smile and live another day.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:08 pm

what is untestable is "parallel universe". if another universe is not parallel, it may therefore intersect our, and so prove its existance.

J D Writer
Asternaut

Post by J D Writer » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:35 pm

Martin wrote:In case you didn't know....

The Total Universe is not bound by our ability to understand and measure it. :shock:

How do you know this to be a fact? Sounds like more "wishfull thinking"

kovil
Science Officer

On Seeing Rightly

Post by kovil » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:49 pm

In the illustrious words of those for whom the Sanskrit Language was invented and designed for, might have said;

See the truth in order to comprehend the truth, and the truth may be more subtle than you can ever imagine.

Sort of like how when walking along the road during the gloaming in India
and you, from the corner of your eye, mistake a rope lying on the ground
for a snake;
You first must have seen it,
then you jumped to the wrong conclusion,
but then you saw what it truly was and realized your mis-take.

You saw it first, veiled by the veiling power of Tamas,
Then you jumped to the wrong conclusion when it was mistaken for a snake, under the projecting power of Rajas.
Then when you see it rightly, and realize it is only a rope in the dirt, you are seeing it correctly with the revealing power of Sattva.

These are the 3 Gunas !

But this is a discussion of what the Universe looks like ! hahaha

And we expect we can see it rightly ? (more laughter)

If we cannot look upon the universe and laugh
or gape at it in astonished wonderment
then there is no hope for us.

Martin
Science Officer

Post by Martin » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:53 pm

Better yet Mr. J D Writer....

Please tell me when has our world, galaxy or universe ever been bound by our infinite ability to comprehend it?

Is our world still flat? Is Earth the center of the universe? Is the smallest matter an atom? Is the most powerful explosion a super nova?...................................

It is ignorant to think- "because you can't see it, taste it, touch it, measure it, calculate it or predict it" that it doesn't exist. History has shown us time and time again that we were WRONG. I say let's keep an open mind, be humble and always entertain the possibility.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:14 am

Not to say they don't exist; but I have trouble with parallel universes. Multi universes; I can fathom as I believe that space is endless. Proving any of this could be very difficult. Anyway; for a negative APOD This subject has created a lot of responses.
Orin

astroton
Science Officer

Post by astroton » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:31 am

To not imagine a multiverse is denying science an opportunity. Every scientific theory began with a speculation. Some theories with assigned numbers have proved to be just a number game. The quest for further scientific explaination expires when you say "It can not be proven."

Keep an open mind, we may someday even be able to prove multiverse.
The Universe Is What You Think It Is. Every Thought Ever Thought Is True.

rummij
Asternaut

Re: multiverse

Post by rummij » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:21 am

[quote="ta152h0"]I agree, it belongs to the other APOD ( Astrology Post of the Day ). I remember the physics professor telling our class that if you can't assign numbers/units of measure to it, it doesn't exist .[/quote]

How big's the universe?

rummij
Asternaut

Post by rummij » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:26 am

[quote="harry"]Hello all

It states that :"Some multiverse hypotheses may therefore be great fun to think about but not practically falsifiable and therefore have no predictive scientific value"

So! No[/quote]

I agree, 'multiple universes' is an oxymoron.

And if you ask 'how big is the universe?' the answer is in your question.

rummij
Asternaut

Post by rummij » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:31 am

[quote="fastartceetoo"]This stuff belongs on some mystic page, not APOD! It goes right along with such heady stuff as the long-running theological debate 'how many angels can fit on the head of a pin?'

All 'parallel universe' theories are absolutely untestable, and hence unverifiable, and hence have nothing whatsoever to do with science, or astronomy.

If these folks wish to contemplate that umpteen gazillion universes have come into existence since I started typing this message (oops! ...another gazillion! ...another gazillion! ...another gazillion!) I think that they should contemplate their theories--and their navels--elsewhere.[/quote]

Astronomy wouldn't exist without the much older astrology. Sometimes we don't give credit where it's due.

I also don't see how multiverse theory has anything to do with astrology, other than that both evidently produce questionable fantasy artwork.

astroton
Science Officer

Post by astroton » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:00 am

rummij wrote:
harry wrote:Hello all

So! No

I agree, 'multiple universes' is an oxymoron.

And if you ask 'how big is the universe?' the answer is in your question.
Universe linguistically is a word, which could be defined as, (Credit Dictionary.com)

· All matter and energy, including the earth, the galaxies, and the contents of intergalactic space, regarded as a whole.
· The sphere or realm in which something exists or takes place.

The word universe is in use from the time before, models such as big bang were hypothesized. With improved technology we have been able to put a limit to observable “universe”. Since than we have hypothesized existence of one or many such universes with their own laws. The new term derived to define many such universes is multiverse.

You need to understand when the word was coined and what has it come to define.

Besides, if you had told ppl of stone age that one day eletricity would power BBQs, they would have laughed at you the same way as you are doing to multiverse. If something can not be proved now with our limited knowledge, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Examples, existance of gravity before Newton. More complex theory of General theory of relativity to define some of the same phenomenas.
The Universe Is What You Think It Is. Every Thought Ever Thought Is True.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:53 am

Hello makc

I do not understand your statement.

I'm slow right now.

My brain has been burnt.
Harry : Smile and live another day.