eclipse APOD 30 March 2006

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
John Carswell
Asternaut

eclipse APOD 30 March 2006

Post by John Carswell » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:15 pm

I do not understand why the eclipse traveled from west to east. It seems that we should travel under the shadow as we ride the earth to the east. I am sorry to ask a stupid question, but I am old and not well educated.
jlc

dogel
Asternaut

Post by dogel » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:02 pm

I found this website http://www.exploratorium.edu/eclipse/2006/index.html yesterday. If you click on "click here for windows media stream" you can watch the solar eclipse as seen from turkey. The video is over an hour long but you can skip through it. Early in the video I think they explain exactly how and why an eclipse occurs. I figured a visual representation would be far better than a written one. By the way, your question isn't stupid.

John Carswell
Asternaut

Post by John Carswell » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:22 pm

I think I might have figured it out. The shadow would move east if the whole earth travels through the shadow faster than it's rotation carries any given place on its surface in the opposite direction. Also, the moon is moving so if the earth were stopped in it's orbital path and not rotating, the shadow would move east. Three motions, the earth in it's orbit, the earth on it's axis, and the moon in it's orbit determine the point at which a projection of a line from the center of the sun through the center of the moon ( the eclipse shadow) falls on the surface of the earth. It seems like I should be able to understand this if people have been calculating eclipse time and place for 3000 years.
jlc

kovil
Science Officer

diamonds schmiamonds

Post by kovil » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:56 pm

Not to be an eclipse party pooper but;

This picture is grossly overexposed.
There are no diamonds remotely possible to be seen.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:02 pm

The shadow also moves from west to east if it is caused by the moon's movement (orbit). As the Moon moves accross the face of the sun, its shadow moves accross the face of the earth but slightly faster.