a zillion stars

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
ta152h0
Schooled

a zillion stars

Post by ta152h0 » Tue May 02, 2006 11:52 pm

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060501.html

Now for a re-question, similar to a previous question

What would the night sky look like if we lived in that vicinity ? :)
Wolf Kotenberg

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Wed May 03, 2006 5:54 am

Hello ta152h0

The Sky would look stary stary night.

But! imagine looking at the Milky Way you mabe able to see the whole lot.

Also it makes a statement:
quote:
"NGC 290 and other open clusters are good laboratories for studying how stars of different masses evolve, since all the open cluster's stars were born at about the same time"

How could it say they were born at the same time when they say different star amsses evolve?. Just a thought.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Wed May 03, 2006 2:15 pm

Stars in clusters like this are estimated to be of the same, or similiar ages, due to the fact that they're located spacially near to each other, usually embedded in the remains of the same gas cloud, have the same metallicity, and have co-moving velocities, ie. they travel as a group. This implies that they were born from the same interstellar cloud at roughly the same time.

The Sun is actually located on the outskirts of the remains of an open cluster of stars right now, or seems to be. Several of the stars in the Big Dipper, and a number of other stars scattered about the sky, appear to be a nearby, co-moving group, albeit more scattered than a young open cluster. It's called the Ursa Major moving group.
Don't just stand there, get that other dog!

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri May 05, 2006 11:06 am

Hello Qev

Thanks,,,,,,,,,

I know we have been told of the formation of stars and cluster of stars from dust clouds.

I have been looking at the evolutions of galaxies with respective blackholes and the super black holes and the making of stars and star clusters from the jets of the black holes. When I get through it I will let you know what I found.

Until than stay cool.
Harry : Smile and live another day.