Happy People Dancing On Planet Earth (APOD 22 Jul 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Ankh
Asternaut

Happy People Dancing On Planet Earth (APOD 22 Jul 2008)

Post by Ankh » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:04 am

Don't get me wrong..I rather love Matt and his dancing, but is this appropriate for APOD? :|

adrianxw
Ensign

Post by adrianxw » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:19 am

Another waste of opportunity. And most people saw that when it was first posted.

Refers to this one.

What next, Rick Roll?
Last edited by adrianxw on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

Ankh
Asternaut

Post by Ankh » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:56 am

adrianxw wrote:Another waste of opportunity. .
That's how I felt too.

It's kind of disappointing to check what's today's astronomy image is going to be... to be met with a well-known viral video of people dancing. (Sponsered by Stride chewing-gum, no less)

Ah well, it seems ungracious to complain when APOD usually delivers beautiful astronomy-related pictures. There's always tomorrow after all.

MarcoInNorCal
Asternaut

Post by MarcoInNorCal » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:07 am

Ok, who's the wise guy who leaked this November's election results?

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Disappointing

Post by Andy Wade » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:37 am

I have to agree on this particular APOD.

There's not even a tenuous link to astronomy and JPL.

Come on guys, the Kayuga lunar mission has been delivering incredible videos of fly-overs of Tycho crater on the moon and we get people dancing on here.

http://lpod.wikispaces.com/July+17%2C+2008

http://wms.selene.jaxa.jp/data/jpn/tc/0 ... 0mbps.html
Regards,
Andy.

devany
Ensign

Post by devany » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:13 am

Well, I didn't know it was well known, or that it was sponsored by chewing gum until I read this thread.

But I had come to post a complaint. What a disappointment. What was the point?

Except driving more traffic to the forum maybe?

Really, the guy can't even effing dance.

And every cloud has a silver lining... thanks for the links to the Kayuga mission.

geonuc
Ensign

Post by geonuc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:18 am

I liked it.

Astrokeener
Asternaut

Dancing

Post by Astrokeener » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:45 am

From some of the comments I am seeing, I must be one of the only people in the who had never seen or heard of this video before.

I loved it and appreciated the sharing of it. APOD never fails to surprise, educate and otherwise inform. They did it again, for me anyway and I thank them for it. Some peole could not see the link between this video and astronomy, but it is so obvious..........they both "expand your horizons"!

Thanks for the curve ball. I like that you rattled a few cages out there in astronomy land. I think some of your readers need to dance a little more?
Astrokeener

cgb
Asternaut

Post by cgb » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:50 am

As one who can very easily not smile while watching this video, I had intended to post a scathing critique of both this insipid presentation and the obviously drug-induced decision that caused it to appear here. And I see I am not alone.
But when I think of the hours of speculation, wonder and, yes, joy that other offerings have brought me in the past, my sense of gratitude overwhelms this momentary irritation. So, all is forgiven. We'll start afresh tomorrow. Just don't let it happen again.
Evil and brief hath been my pilgrimage....

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:51 am

Y'all are a bunch of whiners. :lol: (Except geonuc and Astrokeener) What does it matter if for ONE DAY the APoD isn't exactly astronomy-related? Sure, I can see the point that y'all come here for astronomy items and learning and all else, but to be fair, there are a LOT more astronomy sites that'll more than give you your fix of astronomy learning. So for one day, let's all just sit back, relax and enjoy an extremely 'happy' video.

Of course, y'all always have the option of starting your own astronomy sites and posting whatever space images you see fit. We'll miss you.

*And no, I hadn't seen this video previously, and really couldn't care less who 'sponsored' it. It's an uplifting, feel good video, and I enjoyed it thoroughly! 8)
Forget the box, just get outside.

pstevenson32
Asternaut

Dancing video auto-disable on our net.

Post by pstevenson32 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:32 am

The Dancing video is not showing on our browsers. Not that I really care. I didn't really click on this link to see people dancing. That seems pretty boring to me. Good grief. I want to see GALAXIES DANCING! :P Have a nice day. (Dancing people... mutter... mutter...)

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:52 am

Happy people dancing on planet Earth...

I am reading different opinions about the relativity of this APOD which if you not careful can reveal some of your disposition.

Who is happy with APOD at Asterisk and is grateful for being handed free images, information and sometimes fun at no charge?

Who feels that APOD owes them anything? and why?

I can't view the video right now due to bandwidth restrictions but will view it later. Some of the threads have been mentioning or proposing people on other planets... what would they think of bickering over an image of some of us on ours?

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080722.html Seems Astronomy related to me, IMHO. Earth is just another mote in the Universe but what a special mote! Easily something to dance about. 8)
Last edited by emc on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

shoby
Asternaut

Post by shoby » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:56 am

What a waste of a day it has been on APOD today.

Admittedly, some left-wingers might consider it good day, as it has promoted equality by saying that we are all capable of being happy.

Realistically, by taking a very close look at all the people, it shows just how different we all are. Sure, maybe we can all smile, but we can also all pee and fart. In fact, I would say that more people have farting and peeing in common than they do smiling.

BTW Apod, this is NOT a request for a video tomorrow of somebody urinating or demonstrating flatulence. Personally, I would like a nice picture of the stars; that is why I visit the site.

jimmysnyder
Ensign

Post by jimmysnyder » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:13 pm

I thought the video was a thoroughly entertaining, but shallow image of our fascinating universe. Apod's statement "Each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured". should be made more specific, or anything goes.
Making mistakes since 1950.

G12650
Asternaut

People Dancing <> APOD

Post by G12650 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:16 pm

I think APOD has lost its way. Come back! Come back! Focus on Astronomical visually appealing images. Stay away from sociological and anthropological missteps. You can post dancing people on the other APOD: Anthropological Picture of the Day!
Jeff

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:17 pm

shoby wrote:What a waste of a day it has been on APOD today.
That is your opinion; you're entitled to it. But you know what they say about opinions....
shoby wrote:Admittedly, some left-wingers might consider it good day....
Please, spare us all your politically-minded assessment. There is no place for it here.
shoby wrote:Realistically, by taking a very close look at all the people, it shows just how different we all are. Sure, maybe we can all smile, but we can also all pee and fart. In fact, I would say that more people have farting and peeing in common than they do smiling.
BTW Apod, this is NOT a request for a video tomorrow of somebody urinating or demonstrating flatulence.
Good to know. I'm sure hopeful that TPTB here at APoD wouldn't honor your request anyway.
shoby wrote:Personally, I would like a nice picture of the stars; that is why I visit the site.
As was stated previously, there are numerous other sites you can visit to get your fix of "pictures of the stars" that you seem to be so desperately lacking today....
Bye, you'll be missed. :roll:

Star*Hopper
Science Officer

Post by Star*Hopper » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:27 pm

Aww c'mon! Are we that short of decent astronomy pictures?

Those complaining about 'whiners' et al - please re-peruse the header.
That's what I come for - the APOD - not 'Romper Room Stooges' videos.
If you want those, they're easy enough to find.....elsewhere.
We've right & reason to complain!
I'm complaining!

:!:
"Perhaps I'll never touch a star, but at least let me reach." ~J Faircloth

DSYoungEsq
Asternaut

Post by DSYoungEsq » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:43 pm

While the video may be appealing, and interesting, it has nothing to do with Astronomy. Not even a little bit. Not an ounce. Not an iota. Nothing.

It was disappointing to come to the site and see something totally irrelevant. It doesn't make me angry, or cause me to want to throw things, but it did waste my time.

When you have a specific mission you claim to perform, you really should stick to that mission, even if other appealing things are available to do. After all, videos like the one posted for today are a dime a dozen; if one wanted to, one could find numerous non-astronomy things to post that would interest us tremendously. But, then it wouldn't be the Astronomy Picture of the Day, now, would it? Somehow, it seems Indigo_Sunrise has lost that message (and the rather bitter and nasty response to shoby doesn't really argue well in favor of your position, either).

edwacole
Asternaut

Dancing--July 22

Post by edwacole » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:48 pm

This is not the place for this kind of video---bad

msadesign
Asternaut

Post by msadesign » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:53 pm

This is just stunningly cool. Period.

Thanks for the light-hearted APOD. Really made my day.

And just ignore those 'ole whiners! jeez, guys! 365 pix a year, year in and year out, and they complain about an oddball?

Give 'em some slack, dudes.

It is terrific.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:02 pm

If I had the money and the time to visit all those places and shoot dumb videos, I would probably be ecstatic.

Forelan
Ensign

Post by Forelan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:09 pm

Even humans are wonders of the universe. Happiness is like gravity, pulling everyone together around a common feeling, dancing similar to the way galaxies dance around each other.

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Ever noticed how negativity is like a black hole... feeding on the positive??? According to astrophysics, (as far as I know as a non-astrophysicist), we have to have black holes to balance the nature of the cosmos. You know, the dancing of the stars. 8) So in turn, we have to have human negativity to keep us from getting too happy and letting our defense down providing an easy target for hostile aliens. :twisted:
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:59 pm

jimmysnyder wrote:I thought the video was a thoroughly entertaining, but shallow image of our fascinating universe. Apod's statement "Each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured". should be made more specific, or anything goes.
Universe, n. [L. universum, from universus universal; unus one + vertere, versum, to turn, that is, turned into one, combined into one whole; cf. F. univers.] All created things viewed as constituting one system or whole; the whole body of things, or of phenomena; the of the Greeks, the mundus of the Latins; the world; creation.
---------------------------------
AstroNOMY, n. [OE. astronomie, F. astronomie, L. astronomia, fr. Gr. , fr. astronomer; star + to distribute, regulate. See Star, and NOMAD]
NOMAD, n. [Gr. Living on pasturage, to distribute or divide, to feed. This verb is connected with L. Nemus, a wood, a place over-grown with trees, and also a pasture, the primary sense of which is probably to spring or shoot, for the verb signifies among other things, to leap, to dance, and may be allied to Eng. nimble. Cattle originally subsisted by browsing, as they still do in new settlements.] One who leads a wandering life, and subsists by tending herds of cattle which graze on herbage of spontaneous growth. Such is the practice at this day in the central and northern parts of Asia, and the Numidians in Africa are supposed to have been so called from this practice.
Art Neuendorffer

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:59 pm

DSYoungEsq wrote:While the video may be appealing, and interesting, it has nothing to do with Astronomy. Not even a little bit. Not an ounce. Not an iota. Nothing.

It was disappointing to come to the site and see something totally irrelevant. It doesn't make me angry, or cause me to want to throw things, but it did waste my time.
Right - and your time is THAT MUCH MORE valuable than anyone else's....
DSYoungEsq wrote:When you have a specific mission you claim to perform, you really should stick to that mission, even if other appealing things are available to do. After all, videos like the one posted for today are a dime a dozen; if one wanted to, one could find numerous non-astronomy things to post that would interest us tremendously. But, then it wouldn't be the Astronomy Picture of the Day, now, would it?
You're so right: one day out of an entire year's worth of images is really wasting your time, as valuable as that is... :roll:
DSYoungEsq wrote:Somehow, it seems Indigo_Sunrise has lost that message (and the rather bitter and nasty response to shoby doesn't really argue well in favor of your position, either).
"lost that message"? "bitter and nasty"?? Riiight. It seems you don't fully understand my position, so in no way should you attempt to interpret my response. I was being sarcastic to all the whiners - yes, whiners - that are getting all spun up because of one little video's inclusion in the APoD. Good Grief! TPTB do an amazing job providing us with outstanding images from our solar system, deep space, and yes, even images and videos from right here on Earth. We should all be grateful that they take their valuable time to do this - daily! If you - or anyone - doesn't care for today's image/video/whatever, well, tomorrow's another day...........