Moon / earth relationship

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
rmalarz

Moon / earth relationship

Post by rmalarz » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:03 pm

I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a site that I might find information on this particular relationship of the earth and moon. As the moon orbits the earth, a line connecting the center of the earth and the center of the moon intersects the surface of the earth at some point. Is there any place to obtain information about the location of this intersection point for a given year, month, day, and time? I appreciate you taking time to respond.
Thanks.

David

Re: Moon / earth relationship

Post by David » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:12 pm

rmalarz wrote:I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a site that I might find information on this particular relationship of the earth and moon. As the moon orbits the earth, a line connecting the center of the earth and the center of the moon intersects the surface of the earth at some point. Is there any place to obtain information about the location of this intersection point for a given year, month, day, and time? I appreciate you taking time to respond.
Thanks.
This very complicated because the Earth rotating but wobbling and precessing. Furthermore, the orbits are not circular so the relative speeds vary. The Earth and moon are not spherical so the position is not straight forward.
If you just want an approximation just download one of the programs that
predict eclipses or satalite orbits and modify it.

crosscountry
Ensign

Post by crosscountry » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:38 pm

I wonder if you are asking this because you want to predict oddities like human/animal behavior?

This information would be interesting, and I question your motive?