halley's comet

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

Comet Halleys Nucleus: An Orbiting Iceberg (2010 Jan 04)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:01 am

Image Comet Halleys Nucleus: An Orbiting Iceberg

Explanation: What does a comet nucleus look like? Formed from the primordial stuff of the Solar System, comet nuclei were thought to resemble very dirty icebergs. But ground-based telescopes revealed only the surrounding cloud of gas and dust of active comets nearing the Sun, clearly resolving only the comet's coma, and the characteristic cometary tails. In 1986, however, the European spacecraft Giotto became one of the first group of spacecraft ever to encounter and photograph the nucleus of a comet, passing and imaging Halley's nucleus as it approached the sun. Data from Giotto's camera was used to generate this enhanced image of the potato shaped nucleus that measures roughly 15 kilometers across. Some surface features on the dark nucleus are on the right, while gas and dust flowing into Halley's coma are on the left. Every 76 years Comet Halley returns to the inner solar system and each time the nucleus sheds about a 6-meter deep layer of its ice and rock into space. This debris shed from Halley's nucleus eventually disperses into an orbiting trail responsible for the Orionids meteor shower, in October of every year, and the Eta Aquariids meteor shower every May.

keel
Asternaut

halley's comet

Post by keel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:15 am

Re: the pic about Halley's Comet. Seeing this pic, I wondered if an astronaut standing on the surface of the comet would feel/experience that 'wind'. How bad would it be, if at all?
keel131@comcast.net

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: halley's comet

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:40 pm

keel wrote:Re: the pic about Halley's Comet. Seeing this pic, I wondered if an astronaut standing on the surface of the comet would feel/experience that 'wind'. How bad would it be, if at all?
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap100104.html wrote:
<<Formed from the primordial stuff of the Solar System,
comet nuclei were thought to resemble very dirty icebergs.>>
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Comet Halleys Nucleus: An Orbiting Iceberg (2010 Jan 04)

Post by geckzilla » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Crud, looks like someone forgot to include the robot's discuss link in the APOD today.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:07 pm

geckzilla wrote:Crud, looks like someone forgot to include the robot's discuss link in the APOD today.
Maybe the Robot's human after all :)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Maybe. He just hacked his way up to the top. 8-)
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Bernie40
Asternaut

Comet Halley's Nucleus, 1/4/10

Post by Bernie40 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:34 pm

If 6 meters are vaporized each time it visits the solar sytem, would it disapear after 1250 years
asuming that it is nearly round and the diametric loss is 12 meters?
Bernie

Doum
A personalized rank.

Post by Doum » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:47 pm

More like a 95000 years. (15 000m dia. / 12 meter each pass) give 1250 and X 76 years per visit. Assuming it does lost 6 meter thick on each pass.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:09 pm

<<It was a strange figure -- like a child: yet not so like a child as like an old man, viewed through some supernatural medium, which gave him the appearance of having receded from the view, and being diminished to a child's proportions. Its hair, which hung about its neck and down its back, was white as if with age; and yet the face had not a wrinkle in it, and the tenderest bloom was on the skin. The arms were very long and muscular; the hands the same, as if its hold were of uncommon strength. Its legs and feet, most delicately formed, were, like those upper members, bare. It wore a tunic of the purest white, and round its waist was bound a lustrous belt, the sheen of which was beautiful. It held a branch of fresh green holly in its hand; and, in singular contradiction of that wintry emblem, had its dress trimmed with summer flowers. But the strangest thing about it was, that from the crown of its head there sprung a bright clear jet of light, by which all this was visible; and which was doubtless the occasion of its using, in its duller moments, a great extinguisher for a cap, which it now held under its arm.

Even this, though, when Scrooge looked at it with increasing steadiness, was not its strangest quality. For as its belt sparkled and glittered now in one part and now in another, and what was light one instant, at another time was dark, so the figure itself fluctuated in its distinctness: being now a thing with one arm, now with one leg, now with twenty legs, now a pair of legs without a head, now a head without a body: of which dissolving parts, no outline would be visible in the dense gloom wherein they melted away. And in the very wonder of this, it would be itself again; distinct and clear as ever.

"Are you the Spirit, sir, whose coming was foretold to me?" asked Scrooge.

"I am." The voice was soft and gentle.
Singularly low, as if instead of being so close beside him, it were at a distance.

"Who, and what are you?" Scrooge demanded.

"I am the Ghost of Christmas Past.">>
Art Neuendorffer

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:46 pm

My bad about the Robot. This APOD was created in December quite possibly before coding the date in the Discuss link was implemented. It got "bumped into the future" for a number of reasons and came down on today. I don't think there are any more like this, but then again I think that snow contains micrometeorites. - RJN

bownh
Asternaut

Post by bownh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:32 pm

I don't understand the photo. Shouldn't the tail be on the dark side of the comet? The photo appears to be showing the comet nucleus to be illuminated from the left side, the same direction the tail extends.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:05 pm

bownh wrote:I don't understand the photo. Shouldn't the tail be on the dark side of the comet?
The photo appears to be showing the comet nucleus to be illuminated from the left side, the same direction the tail extends.
Sunlight generates a plume on the sunlit side.
Only later does the weak solar wind push the plume back in the opposite direction.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

___________________________ Flame in ZERO GRAVITY:
Art Neuendorffer

edgarhons
Asternaut

Post by edgarhons » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:53 pm

In the photo there appears to be a spiral in the plume (easily visible if you tilt a laptop away from you). I understand the comet can spin but this looks more like it is rotating around some center of gravity. Is this just a camera effect or is something actually spiraling around in there?

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:04 pm

edgarhons wrote:In the photo there appears to be a spiral in the plume (easily visible if you tilt a laptop away from you). I understand the comet can spin but this looks more like it is rotating around some center of gravity. Is this just a camera effect or is something actually spiraling around in there?
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap970414.html
http://www.sydneyobservatory.com.au/blog/?p=443
Art Neuendorffer

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:57 am

I would say that it is most likely the Dust Trail that is seen in the image. The Dust Trail forms behind the cometary nucleus, opposite the direction of travel so if the comet were outbound in this image, the dust tail would be lit up and the face of the cometary body would be dark.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:36 am

BMAONE23 wrote:I would say that it is most likely the Dust Trail that is seen in the image. The Dust Trail forms behind the cometary nucleus, opposite the direction of travel so if the comet were outbound in this image, the dust tail would be lit up and the face of the cometary body would be dark.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap960328.html wrote:
<<NASA's Hubble Space Telescope captured this image of the near-nuclear region of Comet Hyakutake on March 25 as the comet approached within 9.3 million miles of the Earth. It covers a relatively "small" 2,000 mile wide area with the sunward direction toward the lower right (tailward is upper left). The image shows large amounts of dust jetting from the sunward side of the nucleus as the sun heats the surface of this dirty "orbiting iceberg". Pressure from sunlight eventually pushes the dust tailward and as the dust production increases, the already visually impressive tail will grow even brighter! The actual size of the nucleus is uncertain but is estimated to be 5-10 miles, similar to Comet Halley. As seen here, the brightest point is probably the tip of the strongest dust jet rather than the nucleus itself. A dramatic dust jet feature also appears to arise from the nightside but its true angle to our line of sight is difficult to judge. Some large fragments which have broken away from the comet nucleus are visible in the upper left of the image, producing dust tails of their own. Comet dust may represent primordial material from the formation of the solar system and NASA has plans for a comet dust sample return mission. >>
Art Neuendorffer