APOD: Galaxies on a String (2010 Jul 02)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: APOD: Galaxies on a String (2010 Jul 02)

Post by bystander » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:45 am

harry wrote:G'day

The bottom Galaxy had formed a dipole jet and one has connected with the above galaxy.

The bottom jet has twisted because of the dual gravity pulled by the top galaxy and its own galaxy core.

These type of jets are normal and observable

Chandra Observes Cosmic Traffic Pile-Up In Energetic Quasar Jet
http://chandra.harvard.edu/press/00_rel ... 3c273.html

and
Spectacular X-ray Jet Points Toward Cosmic Energy Booster
http://chandra.harvard.edu/press/00_rel ... 00pic.html

and
"Death Star" Galaxy Black Hole Fires at Neighboring Galaxy
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archiv ... s/2007/37/
What evidence do you have that this is what's happening? I see no similarities, at all. :?
For a more plausible explanation, just view the video Adam mentioned.
ngc1535 wrote:I believe you can even watch it on a YouTube video:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:11 pm

bystander wrote:What evidence do you have that this is what's happening?
You know that Harry is obsessed by jets, imagined or otherwise. Nor has evidence ever been of interest to him. Indeed, I think a lack of evidence usually reinforces his ideas- that is, after all, a key feature of the pseudoscientist.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:14 am

G'day

And you call yourselves scientists with that attitude.

Look and research the formation of jets.

Should I give the links or are you able to research it.

If you know anything about Vector Theory you would understand.

do a bit of research on arXiv or NASA ADS

Supersymmetric Configurations
Electric-Magnetic Duality
R-Invariance
Spontaneous Gauge Symmetry-Breaking

as for silly comments by Chris
You know that Harry is obsessed by jets, imagined or otherwise. Nor has evidence ever been of interest to him. Indeed, I think a lack of evidence usually reinforces his ideas- that is, after all, a key feature of the pseudoscientist
I have no time for.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Bystander's response is perfectly reasonable, but Chris' comment is way out of line.

Keep your editorial comments to yourself, Chris. You do nothing but dig yourself into a hole with a personal attack uttered publicly. Clearly your intent was to hurt someone with it.

-Noel

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:12 pm

NoelC wrote:Keep your editorial comments to yourself, Chris. You do nothing but dig yourself into a hole with a personal attack uttered publicly. Clearly your intent was to hurt someone with it.
Sorry, I disagree. You've been around this group long enough to know that Harry's posts are often disruptive, non-topical, and violate the rules of the forum. He's often at risk of being banned.

The statement was one of fact: evidence is seldom of interest to him, and his posts (including the one referenced) are frequently not relevant to the discussion at hand. This is worth pointing out to people who read these forums and are likely to be confused. Certainly the post regarding jets was nonsense.

Although I don't really think it was Bystander's intent, he was really just feeding a troll with his response.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

cseligman

Post by cseligman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:53 pm

The APoD discussion of Keenan's System (NGC 5216 and 5218) repeats a common error in its distance and dimensions.
NASA/IPAC NED, HyperLeda, and NOAO all present data showing that both recessional
velocity and redshift-independent distance estimates are 130 to 160 million light years,
not 17 million, and the "string" between the two galaxies is more like 250 thousand light years
across, not 22 thousand. So the dimensions and distances are off by nearly a factor of ten. This is why the apparent sizes translate to less than ten thousand light years, which is far too small for them to have such a spectacular interaction. Using the correct distance, the galaxies turn out to be about 55 and 75 thousand light years across. (See http://cseligman.com/text/atlas/ngc52.htm and scroll down to NGC 5216 and 5218 for a correct discussion of the system.)

Courtney Seligman
Professor of Astronomy
Long Beach City College

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:44 pm

cseligman wrote:... and the "string" between the two galaxies is more like 250 thousand light years
across, not 22 thousand. ... (See http://cseligman.com/text/atlas/ngc52.htm and scroll down to NGC 5216 and 5218 for a correct discussion of the system.)
That "correct discussion" says "The overall extent of Keenan's system, from one galaxy to the other, and the trails of gas extending between and beyond them, is about 250 thousand light years." So the string itself can't be anywhere near that long. Given the galaxy widths of approximately 55 and 75 thousand light years, and the fact that the tails also go out the sides opposite (more or less) to the string, the string length between the galaxies must be closer to 115 thousand light years.

Rob (who played with a bolas when but a mere yout')

cseligman

Post by cseligman » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:30 am

::red-faced grin:: Sorry about that. Miscopied my own page. Trouble came from sending a note directly to APoD a while back, then being directed to this thread, and mis-editing the original email to fit the thread. You are correct. Entire extent is about 250 thousand light years, so "string" between the galaxies is less than half that amount.

niteman1946

Post by niteman1946 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:07 pm

This may aready have been mentioned, but I believe APOD has the galaxy designations reversed. NGC5216 s.b. NGC5218 and vice versa.
Mark