APOD: Mosaic: Welcome to Planet Earth (2010 Jul 13)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Mosaic: Welcome to Planet Earth (2010 Jul 13)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:05 am

Image Mosaic: Welcome to Planet Earth

Explanation: Welcome to Planet Earth, the third planet from a star named the Sun. The Earth is shaped like a sphere and composed mostly of rock. Over 70 percent of the Earth's surface is water. The planet has a relatively thin atmosphere composed mostly of nitrogen and oxygen. This picture of Earth, dubbed Blue Marble, was taken from Apollo 17 in 1972 and features Africa and Antarctica. It is thought to be one of the most widely distributed photographs of any kind. Here, the world famous image has been recast as a spectacular photomosaic using over 5,000 archived images of Earth and space. With its abundance of liquid water, Earth supports a large variety of life forms, including potentially intelligent species such as dolphins and humans. Please enjoy your stay on Planet Earth.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: APOD: Mosaic: Welcome to Planet Earth (2010 Jul 13)

Post by bystander » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:11 am

Very nice, Rob! I'm impressed. Congratulations!

mexhunter
Science Officer
AKA: César Cantú

Post by mexhunter » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:45 am

Hi Rob:
An authentic and beautiful crafts.
Congratulations!
Regards
Cesar
I come to learn and to have fun.

nhaenni
Asternaut

Post by nhaenni » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:52 am

Very nice picture, thanks!

Reading the last two sentences makes me think on what a beautiful jewel we live on ... and that we should watch out when the dolphins depart the Planet Earth.

Best regards
Nicolas

zzwerzy

Post by zzwerzy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:12 am

Yes, beautiful. But Africa and Antarctica - not so much.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:46 am

Congratulations, Rob! I was delighted to see this as an APOD; yay!!!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:50 am

Yes, congratulations, Rob! This is a very fine picture. I think you yourself said about it that you particularly liked the background blackness of space, which is made up of hundreds of images of small galaxies seen against the blackness of space... the realism of this is very attractive, isn't it?

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:37 am

Is it really true, though, that the Earth is mostly made of rock? I thought it was mostly made of iron and nickel. Perhaps iron and nickel make up most of the Earth's mass, but rock makes up most of the Earth's volume?

Ann
Color Commentator

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:40 am

Thank you all for the kind comments. Did you notice Albert Einstein overseeing the whole thing from his perch just east of the south-eastern tip of the Arabian peninsula? Al does like to drop in once in a while just to check things out.

Rob

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:06 am

Ann wrote:Is it really true, though, that the Earth is mostly made of rock? I thought it was mostly made of iron and nickel. Perhaps iron and nickel make up most of the Earth's mass, but rock makes up most of the Earth's volume?
By coincidence, I was paying attention in class last week. :shock:

Counting the atmosphere, the earth is about 50% oxygen with half the remainder being silicon. Then there's a bunch including (in descending order) aluminum, iron, calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium. At that point we're below 1% for each of the rest of the elements.

I find it interesting that we think of the earth as having lots of nickel in its core, and there certainly seems to be plenty in the upper crust for mining, but it doesn't even make the list in my textbook. An on-line reference tells me it makes up only 0.018% of the total. Iron, by the way, is number four in the list with less than 5%.

Of course "rock" is made up of lots of things including silicon and oxygen and carbon and ... . And since a whole lot of rock contains those top two elements and many others near the top of the list, I suspect that yes, the earth can be said to be mostly rock, though a good deal of it would be molten.

Is there a geologist in the house?

Rob

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:23 am

rstevenson - what a spectacular effect!! Good work!!

I'm sure the dolphins have already considered the negative impacts of that other species ....

DavidS

Post by DavidS » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:41 am

Beautiful job..... and the keywords in the description "potentially intelligent" hit the nail on the head.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:56 am

I liked the story about the Sun; Sol. It was both humerus and educational. :) I always love a picture of the Earth.
named the Sun.
Nice job Rob!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Paulmac

Post by Paulmac » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:21 pm

"Potentially intelligent species" - dolphins and humans? Are you joking? Humans are, dolphins are not, cute as they may be.

guit.art

Post by guit.art » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:37 pm

What a fantastic piece of work! Science and art in perfect harmony.

Henning Makholm
Science Officer

Post by Henning Makholm » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:07 pm

rstevenson wrote:
Ann wrote:Is it really true, though, that the Earth is mostly made of rock? I thought it was mostly made of iron and nickel. Perhaps iron and nickel make up most of the Earth's mass, but rock makes up most of the Earth's volume?
By coincidence, I was paying attention in class last week. :shock:

Counting the atmosphere, the earth is about 50% oxygen with half the remainder being silicon. Then there's a bunch including (in descending order) aluminum, iron, calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium. At that point we're below 1% for each of the rest of the elements.
That sounds like the figures Wikipedia gives for the crust alone. For the planet as a whole, the iron figure is significantly higher (at 32%, opposed to about 5% in the crust).

Of course, it is considerably easier to run assays on crust samples than to do whole-planet estimates...
Henning Makholm

DCStone
Ensign

Post by DCStone » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:30 pm

Paulmac wrote:"Potentially intelligent species" - dolphins and humans? Are you joking? Humans are, dolphins are not, cute as they may be.
After all, all they do is eat, swim, and play, while we fight terrorists, attempt to clean up massive oil spills, and argue about whether man-made global warming is real or not... Ok, so Douglas Adams was right. :cry:

Actually, defining intelligence is very complicated, and I'm far from convinced that we're done with defining human intelligence, let alone intelligence as it pertains to other species. See, for example, "rationailty quotient"
http://www.tvo.org/cfmx/tvoorg/theagend ... 20:00:00.0

htom

Post by htom » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:05 pm

Beautiful work, Rob.

"Potentially intelligent", we (and the dolphins) have the potential to be intelligent. Sadly, we don't often live up to that potential. But that's a rant for a different day. Mr. Stevenson demonstrates the proper use of the potential.

I'll go and look for Mr. Einstein, and other potential Easter Eggs.

moonstruck
Science Officer

Post by moonstruck » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:26 pm

Very beatifuly done Rob. Thanks for posting it. I hope someday they have enough photographed so we can click on it with our curser and spin it around like with the Google Earth map.

moonstruck
Science Officer

Post by moonstruck » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:09 pm

That way we could see what's on the other side :lol:

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:35 pm

moonstruck wrote:Very beatifuly done Rob. Thanks for posting it. I hope someday they have enough photographed so we can click on it with our curser and spin it around like with the Google Earth map.
Hmmmmm, let's see ... . My Calculus mid-term is tonight and my Chemistry mid-term is Friday morning ... ... . Yeah, I've got time. :mrgreen:

I was joking when I wrote the above, but I just thought of how to do it. Anyone know of a good gif-based animation of the earth rotating? I should be able to map ... ... no, never mind. I just thought of a problem. Maybe later. :)

Rob

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Henning Makholm wrote:
rstevenson wrote:Counting the atmosphere, the earth is about 50% oxygen with half the remainder being silicon. Then there's a bunch including (in descending order) aluminum, iron, calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium. At that point we're below 1% for each of the rest of the elements.
That sounds like the figures Wikipedia gives for the crust alone. For the planet as a whole, the iron figure is significantly higher (at 32%, opposed to about 5% in the crust).
Uh, oh! My Chemistry prof wrote the textbook I was quoting. He would not be happy I misquoted him. He did, of course, say that this was the list for the crust plus the atmosphere.

[Note to self: a passing mark is in the details!]

Rob

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:34 am

If iron makes up 32% of the Earth, does that mean that it makes up 32% of the mass of the Earth, or 32% of the volume of the Earth, or 32% of the molecules of the Earth?

And I'd really like to know how much of the mass of the Earth that comes from iron.

Ann
Color Commentator

Henning Makholm
Science Officer

Post by Henning Makholm » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:03 am

Ann wrote:If iron makes up 32% of the Earth, does that mean that it makes up 32% of the mass of the Earth, or 32% of the volume of the Earth, or 32% of the molecules of the Earth?
Mass.

The other two options wouldn't be sensible: Most of the matter in the Earth does not form molecules (at least not in the nice clear-cut way we half-learn in school), and volume is not additive when you mix things, so a breakdown by volume would depend on very arbitrary choices along the way.
Henning Makholm

zzwerzy

Post by zzwerzy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:49 pm

My bad. This was bugging me so I came back and looked again. Yes, you're description is correct and I am ashamed! No more commenting after 2 am!!!

Thanks for all the wonderful images and information.

zzwerzy

zzwerzy wrote:Yes, beautiful. But Africa and Antarctica - not so much.