APOD: Happy People Dancing on Planet Earth (2010 Jul 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.

Re: APOD: Happy People Dancing on Planet Earth (2010 Jul 25)

Post by 208.83442 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:42 am

What the hell does this have to do with astronomy? Is this part of NASA's "outreach to the Muslim world"?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:20 am

Planet Earth is also a part of space and is there-fore eligible for the same scrutiny given to any other part of space as the Apod staff decides.
Enjoy IT and the View while you still have it. Space is a very volatile place. Why do you think they make :b: :D
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Zone 1

Post by Zone 1 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:21 am

beyond wrote:Planet Earth is also a part of space and is there-fore eligible for the same scrutiny given to any other part of space as the Apod staff decides.
Enjoy IT and the View while you still have it. Space is a very volatile place. Why do you think they make :b: :D
Good Luck with that, you'll need it. Stick your head back in the sand like an Osterich :D

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:10 am

Moriarty wrote:Not astronomy related... so I concur that it doesn't belong it APOD.
Beyond that, it's a bit retarded.

mexhunter
Science Officer
AKA: César Cantú

Post by mexhunter » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:53 am

Hi to all:
This discussion is very funny.
And the dance, that also is part of the universe, near and familiar, but universe.
Grettings
Cesar
I come to learn and to have fun.

Marcel, the Netherlands

Post by Marcel, the Netherlands » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:56 am

I would say: candidate Matt Harding for the Nobelprice for Peace.
Why?
Just look, don't think, feel and encounter the collective happiness and joy of humankind.
In my opinion there is no better medicine to fulfil peace,

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:30 am

Once again, my public service announcement for all those whose need for a picture of a galaxy/nebula/stars/moons/etc. was not fulfilled by "Happy People Dancing on Planet Earth." Please click on one or more of these links; you'll find galaxies/nebulae/stars/moons/etc. aplenty:
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:22 pm

mexhunter wrote:Hi to all: This discussion is very funny.
And the dance, that also is part of the universe, near and familiar, but universe.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Art Neuendorffer

mexhunter
Science Officer
AKA: César Cantú

Post by mexhunter » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Beam me up, Scotty!
I come to learn and to have fun.

Joe Eaton

Post by Joe Eaton » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:07 pm

Thank you for making me cry pure tears of joy.
I wish so much that the world could understand that we are all truly One people, one human race.
Thank you for this great gift.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:36 am

Joe Eaton wrote:
Thank you for making me cry pure tears of joy.
  • ____ The Serenity Now

Jerry Seinfeld: What--what is this salty discharge?

Elaine: Oh my God. You're crying.

Jerry: This is horrible! I care!
Joe Eaton wrote:
I wish so much that the world could understand that we are all truly One people, one human race.
  • One tree of life actually:
http://tolweb.org/tree/learn/concepts/whatisphylogeny.html wrote:
<<The notion that all of life is genetically connected via a vast phylogenetic tree is one of the most romantic notions to come out of science. How wonderful to think of the common ancestor of humans and beetles. This organism most likely was some kind of a worm. At some point this ancestral worm species divided into two separate worm species, which then divided again and again, each division (or speciation) resulting in new, independently evolving lineages. Little did these worms know, those hundreds of million years ago, that some of their number would end up evolving into beetles, while their brothers and sisters would end up as humans or giraffes.

Organisms have evolved through the ages from ancestral forms into more derived forms. New lineages generally retain many of their ancestral features, which are then gradually modified and supplemented with novel traits that help them to better adjust to the environment they live in. Studying the phylogeny of organisms can help us explain similarities and differences among plants, animals, and microorganisms.>>
Art Neuendorffer

licketysplit

Post by licketysplit » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:07 am

I'm confused. What does this have to do with Astronomy??? I can see this as a modern art project or better yet, a scientific study of human behavior, but to label this as anything to do with astronomy is absurd. I kind of like my old-fashioned NASA, remember? The one that explores space and other worlds and makes people even more proud to be AMERICANS! Who posted this to NASA's site anyway? What was your agenda for doing so???!

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:40 am

licketysplit wrote:I'm confused. What does this have to do with Astronomy??? I can see this as a modern art project or better yet, a scientific study of human behavior, but to label this as anything to do with astronomy is absurd. I kind of like my old-fashioned NASA, remember?
ImageImage
NASA's Meat-ball ______ NASA's Matt-ball
Art Neuendorffer

gpronger

Post by gpronger » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Thanks for the video. If once in a blue moon you choose to point your camera at the 3rd planet and its inhabitants, would be well within your mission.

Sincerely,

Greg Pronger

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:05 pm

OK I give up...Why this for this forum ???...A little too touchy-feely for me....show me the stars & Mars....not bad dancers & prancers

goose171717

Post by goose171717 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:41 am

astronomy has been a passion since I can't remember, and now, in my 60's I realize all the more how beautiful and amazing our little corner of the unverse really is. maybe I'm just a romantic (or a fool), but I can't watch the video without tears. I checked a few clips "about" and "making" the videos, and though it usually takes away some of the impact, I found myself saying, "Good for you, Matt." I can't believe how many fellow stargazers had to chime in that it had nothing to with astronomy. come on, folks, where's your spirit, your heart; enjoy it for what it represents

StarstruckKid
Ensign

Post by StarstruckKid » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:34 pm

:shock: Wow! Last time I saw anybody this upset was when Grandma ran out of grits and Grandpa had to eat toast! :wink: RJN, you can throw a little variety my way any time you want to.

What's it got to do with astronomy?

1) Planet Earth exists in the same cosmos astronomy studies.

2) A better understanding of the life on this planet might just help with understanding any intelligence we might encounter on another one.

3) Broadening our experience of other humans opens the door to incorporating their world views into ours. Who knows where the next great insight will come from?

4) I always think better about arcane stuff like astronomy if I occasionally turn off my brain and live in my body and emotions for a while.

5) If the APOD didn't usually evoke an emotional reaction, I doubt I'd look at it.

6) Didn't the aliens in "Close Encounters" communicate with music? How do we know they didn't expect us tor respond by dancing?

7) If we aren't studying astronomy for the benefit of humanity as a whole, who(m) are we doing it for?

8) I'd swear I saw stars in some of those eyes.

Just my eight cents worth.

Michael, the Starstruck Kid
If life's only an illusion, what's really going on?

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:12 pm

StarstruckKid wrote:
What's it got to do with astronomy?

1) Planet Earth exists in the same cosmos astronomy studies.
2) A better understanding of the life on this planet might just help with understanding any intelligence we might encounter on another one.
3) Broadening our experience of other humans opens the door to incorporating their world views into ours.
Who knows where the next great insight will come from?
4) I always think better about arcane stuff like astronomy if I occasionally turn off my brain and live in my body and emotions for a while.
5) If the APOD didn't usually evoke an emotional reaction, I doubt I'd look at it.
6) Didn't the aliens in "Close Encounters" communicate with music? How do we know they didn't expect us tor respond by dancing?
7) If we aren't studying astronomy for the benefit of humanity as a whole, who(m) are we doing it for?
8) I'd swear I saw stars in some of those eyes.
Art Neuendorffer

StarstruckKid
Ensign

Post by StarstruckKid » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:24 am

:twisted: Don't bother me, I'm busy poisoning pigeons... :twisted:
If life's only an illusion, what's really going on?