APOD: Huge Gamma Ray Bubbles Found Around... (2010 Nov 10)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Re: APOD: Huge Gamma Ray Bubbles Found Around... (2010 Nov 1

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:55 pm

Neufer. Your "More of a quadruple bubble actually (but that's not your fault, Dave)." made me :) (my bold emphasis on "fault").

petsie
Ensign

Post by petsie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi,

I'm just an interested person without much knowledge. So please don't hit me if I ask for a connection between this phenomenon and the one described at http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archiv ... 0/37/full/ .

Couldn't dark matter in the halo of "our" milkyway accelerate intergalactic matter so that it emits gamma-rays? Maybe angular momentum and magnetic fields could explain this?

Sorry, if this question is a dumb one,
Peter

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:24 pm

petsie wrote:Couldn't dark matter in the halo of "our" milkyway accelerate intergalactic matter so that it emits gamma-rays? Maybe angular momentum and magnetic fields could explain this?
Gravity is far too weak a force to accelerate interstellar matter sufficiently to produce gamma rays. And while the galaxy has a magnetic field, it is very weak, and doesn't visibly interact with matter in a significant way.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:42 pm

neufer wrote:
Art, my picture is nowhere near as delightful or as appropriate as yours. Nevertheless, I want to recommend the Tintin adventrue Destination Moon and Explorers on the Moon. In one of these books, probably the latter, the hoplessly clumsy and clueless detectives, Thompson and Thomson, accidentally ingest something that makes their hair and beards grow wildly and take on incredible colors. But the two detectives are also blowing bubbles as if they were full of soap, and they are breathing and blowing soap bubbles uncontrollably!

After a while they stop blowing bubbles, their hair stops growing and starts retreating, and the two detectives go sightseeing on the Moon, where they have a wonderful time. Note the low gravity ballet-like dance steps.

Ann
Color Commentator