APOD: Home from Above (2010 Nov 15)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Home from Above (2010 Nov 15)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:56 am

Image Home from Above

Explanation: There's no place like home. Peering out of the windows of the International Space Station (ISS), astronaut Tracy Caldwell Dyson takes in the planet on which we were all born, and to which she would soon return. About 350 kilometers up, the ISS is high enough so that the Earth's horizon appears clearly curved. Astronaut Dyson's windows show some of Earth's complex clouds, in white, and life giving atmosphere and oceans, in blue. The space station orbits the Earth about once every 90 minutes. It is not difficult for people living below to look back toward the ISS. The ISS can frequently be seen as a bright point of light drifting overhead just after sunset. Telescopes can even resolve the overall structure of the space station. The above image was taken in late September from the ISS's Cupola window bay. Dr. Dyson is a lead vocalist in the band Max Q.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

jduffy

Re: APOD: Home from Above (2010 Nov 15)

Post by jduffy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:36 am

I think it's the Pacific Ocean

Gralstin

Post by Gralstin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:40 am

I think Pacific Ocean too -its the largest on the planet and all you can see is water.

KeeofEff

Post by KeeofEff » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:44 am

Yep, it's gotta be the Pacific Ocean

Albatross

Post by Albatross » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:47 am

Could be any very large body of water. Pacific, Atlantic, or Indian ocean...

talismanic

Post by talismanic » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:08 am

Indian Ocean, south of Madagascar

Genbug

Post by Genbug » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:09 am

Home from above - it's the Gulf of Mexico

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:02 am

It's a fantastic image. It speaks of achievements that humanity only a hundred years ago could only dream of - humans actually orbiting the Earth, looking down on this amazing planet from a height of about 350 kilometers.

But at the same time, this image speaks of how closely bound we humans are to the Earth. Yes, we have travelled 350 kilometers away from the surface of the Earth, and we have travelled even farther - humans have, after all, walked on the Moon. But the distance to the Moon, while more than a thousand times greater than the distance to the International Space Station, is still only about 450,000 kilometers. In the universe, where most distances have to be measured in lightyears or better yet, in kiloparsecs or megaparsecs, 450,000 kilometers is nothing.

I once saw a black and white movie that may have been from the early forties. Here some brave humans were struggling heroically to make their spaceship overcome the Earth's gravity. But once they had climbed out of the Earth's gravity well, the universe was literally theirs for the taking. They could go anywhere, to Mars, to Saturn, to Sirius, because they were no longer bound by the Earth's gravity.

But that is not how it works. We are so incredibly bound to the Earth, this little blue speck in the universe that sustains us, and that hosts all the life that we know of.

Ann
Color Commentator

Benibouftou

Post by Benibouftou » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 am

I think it's south Pacific ocean. At upper left , perhaps we could see West cost of CHILI ......

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:16 am

If you take the Exif info of the picture then you can see it was taken om 2010-09-11, 18:38:35. Now if we know the timezone of the camera then we know the position of ISS and thus the part of the earth we can see.

Nyh

ovidiu_c

Post by ovidiu_c » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:22 am

So blue ... so beautiful ...
I guess is Atlantic Ocean with a view to Bahamas Islands and Cuba or Haiti.

sraddhanjali@live.com

Post by sraddhanjali@live.com » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:30 am

i really don't know but by logic,i wil go for pacific ocean!:') i just wanted to reply...

mjsfish

Post by mjsfish » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:45 am

Could the small bay visible in the lower window be San Francisco Bay. That is my Guess. It is hard to differentiate the clouds from snow capped mountains.

rimbaud3000

Post by rimbaud3000 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 am

I also thought it was The Pacific.
On a loosely related matter - doesn't Tracy Caldwell Dyson look a bit like Sigourney Weaver in that photo?
I find this both disconcerting and inspiring at the same time.
Disconcerting in a facile, stupid way because of the fear the Alien films created in me when I was younger.
Inspiring because not only do they both represent the strength and courage of women astronauts, they are linked by our desire to explore space.
We are at the beginning of a journey that will hopefully take us to the stars. Who knows where the endeavours of the intrepid inhabitants of the ISS will eventually take us?
Incredible photo. Gave me goosebumps. Take me there please!

Wiebster

Post by Wiebster » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:54 am

If i look at the clouds, it looks like the "boot" of Italy?

martini

Post by martini » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:59 am

Woman always thinks whether she unplugged the ironer! :D

GETDAM

Post by GETDAM » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:18 am

DID ANYONE NOTICE THAT IF YOU LOOK AT THE ENLARGED VIEW OF THIS APOD AND OUT THE RIGHT TOP VIEW PORT
AND WAY DOWN AT JUST ABOVE THE CLOUDS; YOU CAN MAKE OUT WHAT APPEARS TO BE A LARGE HOT-AIR OR
WEATHER BALLOON. POSSIBLY ORANGE OR RED. IF IT IS A BALLOON OF SORTS SOME 340 OR SO MILES DOWN; THEN
THAT IS ONE BIG BALLOON.

Star*Hopper
Science Officer

Post by Star*Hopper » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:43 am

I also thought Indian Ocean at first.....but remember, ISS views don't necessarily coincide with our normal 'north up map' perspective -- in fact that view is likely fairly rare for the 'nauts.

Leftmost window, just inside left edge about halfway between window bottom & where the side intersects the picture's left margin....looks like the Florida peninsula to me. Ergo.......Hail, Atlanti(c)!

Clear'ns!
~S*H
"Perhaps I'll never touch a star, but at least let me reach." ~J Faircloth

Flatpackhamster

Post by Flatpackhamster » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:43 am

@Getdam: I'd guess that red spot you can see is a star, not a balloon.

wcorvi

Post by wcorvi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:48 am

If the altitude is 350 km, then the horizon is 2141 km away, or 1338 mi. I don't see anything but clouds and water in the picture; it could be any of the oceans. There are not even any shadows, so the sun is high in the sky - in September, that means near the equator, but that doesn't tell much.

Jack Bryant

Post by Jack Bryant » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:53 am

Who cares? It's all beautiful beyond belief.

pen25b

Post by pen25b » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:02 pm

visible are Himalayas & Indian Ocean

lettush

Post by lettush » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:24 pm

I believe the ISS is travelling NNW to SSE over the Philipine Sea, and, if it is, the land mass in top left window are the Philipines and Papua New Guinea. But I might be wrong!

wistex70-fel@yahoo.com

Post by wistex70-fel@yahoo.com » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:44 pm

The round part of the cupola shows the clouds and very faint landmass of Texas, Mexico with Yucatan and the Gulf of Mexico. Nick.

Rms
Asternaut

Post by Rms » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Hawaï...