APOD: NGC 2174: Stars Versus Mountains (2011 Feb 09)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: NGC 2174: Stars Versus Mountains (2011 Feb 09)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:06 am

Image NGC 2174: Stars Versus Mountains

Explanation: It's stars versus gas mountains in NGC 2174 and the stars are winning. More precisely, the energetic light and winds from massive newly formed stars are evaporating and dispersing the dark stellar nurseries in which they formed. The structures of NGC 2174 are actually much thinner than air and only appear as mountains due to relatively small amounts of opaque interstellar dust. A lesser known sight in the nebula-rich constellation Orion, NGC 2174 can be found with binoculars near the head of the celestial hunter. About 6,400 light-years distant, the entire glowing cosmic cloud covers an area larger than the full Moon and surrounds loose open clusters of young stars. The above image from the Hubble Space Telescope shows a dense interior region which spans only about three light years while adopting a color map that portrays otherwise red hydrogen emission in green hues and emphasizes sulfur emission in red and oxygen in blue. Within a few million years, the stars will likely win out completely and the entire dust mountain will be dispersed.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: APOD: NGC 2174: Stars Versus Mountains (2011 Feb 09)

Post by bystander » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:19 am

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:35 am

http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/Bios/hodierna.html wrote: <<Giovanni Battista Hodierna was born on April 13, 1597 in Ragusa, Sicily as the son of Art Vita Dierna, who was either a mason or a shoemaker. Very probably, he grew up in poor environment, and was self-educated at least in science. As a young man, he observed the three comets of 1618-19 from Ragusa, with a telescope of Galilean type and fixed magnification 20. He became a Roman Catholic priest and was ordained at Syracuse, Sicily in 1622. From 1625 to 1636, he served as a priest in Ragusa, and taught mathematics and astronomy at his hometown.

Hodierna was an enthusiastic follower of Galileo. In 1628 he wrote the "Nunzio del secolo cristallino", an appraisal of Galileo's "Siderius Nuntius." Hodierna was particular impressed by Galileo's resolution into stars of the Milky Way and the "Nebulae" like Praesepe; this generated a life-long interest in nebulae, although most of his astronomical work concentrated on the bodies of the solar system.

In 1637, he followed Carlo and Gulio Tomasi, the Dukes of Montechiaro, to the newly founded Palma di Montechiaro. They gave him a house and a piece of land to live and funded his publications, and he served them first as a chaplain and parish priest. In 1644, he earned a doctorate in theology, in 1645, he was named archpriest, in 1655 court mathematician.

Besides his duties as priest, Hodierna practised astronomy, as well as natural philosophy, physics, botany, and other sciences. He studied light passing a prism and formulated a vague explanation of the rainbow. Also, he developed an early microscope and studied e.g. the eyes of insects and the fangs of vipers, and studied meteorological phenomena.

Hodierna's contributions to astronomy, though interesting and remarkable in particular if one takes his isolated life into account, have been of at best little impact, because his publications had only little circulation and were hardly known outside Sicily. Therefore, standard tracts of the history of astronomy rarely spend more than a few lines on this early priest astronomer. Also, his astronomy always tended to be mixed up with astrology.

In 1646 and 1653, Hodierna observed Saturn and created drawings showing the planet with its ring quite correctly; he had a short correspondence with Huygens on this subject around 1656. His "Protei caelestis vertigines sev. Saturni systema", published 1657, is among his best known publications.

In 1652, observed eclipses of Jupiter's moons, as well as the passages of their shadows over the disc of the planet. In 1656, he published the "Medicaeorum Ephemerides", probably his best known work, the first published ephemerides of the Galilean satellites, based on an improved theory of the motion of Jupiter's moons by the contribution of three types of periodic disturbations, analogous to contemporary planetary theory.

In his 1656 "De Admirandis Phasibus in Sole et Luna visis," Hodierna gives a treatise on the appearance of the Sun and the Moon, including sunspots and eclipses.

Perhaps his most interesting work is his 1654 "De systemate orbis cometici; deque admirandis coeli characteribus" [Of the systematics of the world of comets, and on the admirable objects of the sky]. Unfortunately, this work fell forgotten and was ignored until it was recovered by Serio et.al. (1985). Hodierna thought there were profound differences between comets and nebulae: Because of the motion and changing appearance of comets, he thought them to be made up of a more terrestrial matter, while nebulae should be made up of stars, and thus "Lux Primogenita". In the first part he follows Galileo's ideas on comets. In the second, more interesting part, he describes and lists 40 nebulae he had observed, with finder charts and some sketches, which Hodierna classifies according to their resolvability into stars in Luminosae (star clusters to the naked eye), Nebulae (appearing nebulous to the unaided eye, but are resolved in his telescope) and Occultae (not resolved in his telescope). About 25 of them could be identified with real deepsky objects (mostly open clusters), the others are either asterisms or insufficiently described for identification.

Hodierna's catalog of nebulous objects includes independent rediscoveries of the Andromeda Nebula (M31) and the Orion Nebula (M42) and at least 9, but probably 14 and perhaps 16, own original discoveries: M6, M36, M37, M38, M41, M47, NGC 2362, NGC 6231, the Lagoon Nebula M8, the Alpha Persei Cluster (Mel 20), probably M33, M34 and NGC 752, and (possibly) NGC 2451, as well as two further possible discoveries of NGC 2169 and NGC 2175 for which the identification is very unsafe. Also in this work, he created the first preserved drawing of the Orion Nebula.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Andy Snow

Post by Andy Snow » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:15 am

You call it a mountain, but I swear I see the profile of a pointy-nosed dog in a cloak. As long as we are making stuff up, that's my contribution. BTW, I love APOD. Keep up the great work.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:11 am

Andy Snow wrote:You call it a mountain, but I swear I see the profile of a pointy-nosed dog in a cloak. As long as we are making stuff up, that's my contribution. BTW, I love APOD. Keep up the great work.
You beat me to it Andy, I see the dog too. To me, it is also "sitting".

Mr Zorg

Post by Mr Zorg » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:43 pm

Look, I've been an avid follower of APOD since 1996. I'm getting really tired of the same ol pictures being posted. Are there not any new pictures?? I mean really, do you even realize how many times you have shown these same images?
Get a clue people... We as the taxpayers want MORE, not more of the same.

Larry

BikerMike
Ensign
AKA: BikerMikeM

Post by BikerMike » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Perhaps Mr Zorg be given the responsibility of providing a brand new APOD photo everyday with the proviso that he be hung, drawn and quartered if he fails.
Still on the green side of the sod. --> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hometruths/ ... tion.shtml

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:03 pm

Mr Zorg wrote:
Look, I've been an avid follower of APOD since 1996. I'm getting really tired of the same ol pictures being posted. Are there not any new pictures?? I mean really, do you even realize how many times you have shown these same images?
Only other NGC 2174 APOD: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap061208.html
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119116/quotes wrote:
Memorable quotes for The Fifth Element (1997)
  • Zorg: This case is empty.

Priest Vito Cornelius: What do you mean, empty?

Zorg: Empty. The opposite of full. This case is supposed to be full! Anyone care to explain?

Priest Vito Cornelius: You're a monster, Zorg.

Zorg: I know. Torture who you have to, the President, I don't care.
    . Just bring me the stones. You have one hour.
Art Neuendorffer

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Mr Zorg wrote:Look, I've been an avid follower of APOD since 1996. I'm getting really tired of the same ol pictures being posted. Are there not any new pictures?? I mean really, do you even realize how many times you have shown these same images?

Larry

Is this post for real???!?!?!
Here's a clue for you, Larry: if you don't like today's image, you can always come back tomorrow. Or better yet - don't.
Buh-bye! Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Jeezus Christ........
:roll:
Forget the box, just get outside.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:57 pm

neufer wrote:
Only other NGC 2174 APOD: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap061208.html
Since the only previous APOD showing NGC 2174 is also a Hubble palette image, we need a lovely RGB image of NGC 2174 now. Here is one:

http://www.collectingphotons.com/Astro/ ... 201200.jpg

Note, pretty much in the middle of the nebula, the blue star almost enveloped in a small but extra-bright pink emission nebula. Could that be an "extra newborn star" in a cluster of young newborn stars, Cederblad 67b? That star and its nebula hasn't got an HD number, but it has got a GSC identifier: GSC 1322 283.

By the way, I found the RGB photo of NGC 2174 here: http://www.collectingphotons.com/AstroNNwinter.htm
Let me recommend this site! :D

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Boomer12k wrote:
Andy Snow wrote:You call it a mountain, but I swear I see the profile of a pointy-nosed dog in a cloak. As long as we are making stuff up, that's my contribution. BTW, I love APOD. Keep up the great work.
And there's another dog; at the bottom next to the larger dog sitting below the bright red star. 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Ann wrote:Since the only previous APOD showing NGC 2174 is also a Hubble palette image, we need a lovely RGB image of NGC 2174 now.
Actually, the other APOD is a mouseover image, showing both a narrow band Hubble palette view as well as a broad band RGB "true color" view.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:19 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Boomer12k wrote:
Andy Snow wrote:
You call it a mountain, but I swear I see the profile of a pointy-nosed dog in a cloak. As long as we are making stuff up, that's my contribution. BTW, I love APOD. Keep up the great work.
And there's another dog; at the bottom next to the larger dog sitting below the bright red star. 8-)
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Ann wrote:Since the only previous APOD showing NGC 2174 is also a Hubble palette image, we need a lovely RGB image of NGC 2174 now.
Actually, the other APOD is a mouseover image, showing both a narrow band Hubble palette view as well as a broad band RGB "true color" view.
The Hubble palette is much more interesting, revealing detail not seen in true color.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:31 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Oh. Ooops. :oops:

Okay, Chris, but I personally think that "my" RGB image is nicer! :wink:

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:41 pm

bystander wrote:The Hubble palette is much more interesting, revealing detail not seen in true color.
I suppose "interesting" is subjective. But when studying emission nebulas, narrow band, multichannel images almost always show far more information than true color images- which is why most interesting targets are imaged that way.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Zorg is simply ignorant. I think he has mixed up the often imaged Pillars of Creation with this one. You've seen one pillar, you've seen 'em all, I suppose.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Like all dogs, the "Fido" nebula is ready to go, ears pricked up and nose in the wind! :D

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:19 pm

Mr Zorg wrote:Look, I've been an avid follower of APOD since 1996. I'm getting really tired of the same ol pictures being posted. Are there not any new pictures?? I mean really, do you even realize how many times you have shown these same images?
I guess we'd better build a bigger, more capable space telescope then. The Hubble has apparently just become old news to the taxpayers. :D

And all it seems to do is make boring old magenta colored stars!!!!

-Noel

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:04 am

WOW!! Magnificent! What a wind storm ...

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:25 am

NoelC wrote:
I guess we'd better build a bigger, more capable space telescope then. The Hubble has apparently just become old news to the taxpayers. :D

And all it seems to do is make boring old magenta colored stars!!!!

-Noel
Congratulations on your 500 posts, NoelC! And as you know, I heartily agree with you about the magenta stars - however, magenta stars is not the only thing the Hubble can do... :wink:

Ann
Color Commentator

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:28 am

Thanks, Ann. And yes, I know very well what the Hubble can produce... Ah to have a couple of hours time on that beautiful machine to do some wideband RGB imaging...

-Noel

miliksitek
Asternaut

Post by miliksitek » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:58 pm

biddie67 wrote:WOW!! Magnificent! What a wind storm ...
I totally agree!
Michael

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:27 pm

NoelC wrote:Thanks, Ann. And yes, I know very well what the Hubble can produce... Ah to have a couple of hours time on that beautiful machine to do some wideband RGB imaging...

-Noel
You won't get much but noise in a couple of hours. :)

Edit to above statement: Actually, it would depend on what object you are looking at. A bright object probably would only take a couple of hours. Thanks for making me think about this.

Besides, why would you want to not include the narrowband? It's so interesting! Purple schmurple. Structure is more important than color bigotry.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.