APOD: Visual Effects: Wonders of the Universe (2011 Apr 18)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Re: APOD: Visual Effects: Wonders of the Universe (2011 Apr

Post by DavidLeodis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:34 pm

How come some people have apparently been able to recently see the video, as I cannot view it. :?: I get a message "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by British Broadcasting Corporation".

Redstone

Post by Redstone » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Too Bad The BBC took it down!

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:02 pm

Yes, the video has been taken down. That is unfortunate. It's not just APOD that linked to the original Vimeo; other sites had linked to it, too, and the video is dark for them as well. APOD editors are looking into this.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Shutout

It's gone. :-(

Post by Shutout » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Apparently the BBC claimed copyright and YouTube took it down.

Mr.Mike

Post by Mr.Mike » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:17 pm

This video has been removed from YouTube, courtesy of the BBC. Sure wish I had been able to see and hear it.
What are the chances?

Mr.Mike

ljmoss

Post by ljmoss » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:49 pm

The video is no longer available. BBC requested it's removal.
4/19/11 1848

Anansii

Post by Anansii » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:08 pm

Alas, I couldn't get to it until today, and it's been pulled. You Tube blames the BBC.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:47 am

apparently some one screwed up by using this video without permission...so it was pulled ....oh well guess i dont get to see it

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:49 am

i am so mad......ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........

HHeHeaven
Asternaut

Post by HHeHeaven » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:09 am

R Spehn wrote:At 13:00 The ignition of a black hole after a nova Blowoff.
R Spehn
BTW - Your answer was awesome & inspirational!
"heic0211 - Science Release - Missing link found between supernovae and black holes 18 November 2002"
http://www.spacetelescope.org/news/heic0211/
At 13:00, the creation of a black hole from a 'chaotically controlled' supernova explosion's after-effect reveals how the birth/beginning of black hole is directly related to the death/end of a star going supernova as the two are inexorably linked. Depending on one's personal perspective, I surmise the 18 Apr 2011 APOD of "Visual Effects" from the "Wonders of the Universe" either is, or is not, an intelligently designed artistic masterpiece.

HHeHeaven
Asternaut

Post by HHeHeaven » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:13 am

Once again, good job.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:37 am

Guest wrote:apparently some one screwed up by using this video without permission...so it was pulled ....oh well guess i dont get to see it
APOD had permission to post the special effects video (A Cosmological Fantasia) from the producers (BDH - Burrell Durrant Hifle).
BBC is saying it infringes on their copyrights of the special (Wonders of the Universe) for which BDH produced the special effects.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:04 am

Copyright sometimes really s*cks. What does BBC hope to gain by removing this short video? It's not that they're going to sell it on DVD. So why? Just another narrow minded corporation I guess. I once had a movie on youtube filmed from my car and with the car radio playing in the back. And they removed my video because of the song that was played on the radio. Crazy...

rzl

Post by rzl » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:23 am

yeah, quite the contrary - i am now pretty curious about the series itself, of which i wouldn't have known if it weren't for apod and this cool vid... a great promo for bbc if you ask me. maybe they'll put it up on their own channel.

crow

Post by crow » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:11 pm

For all those wondering where the BBC come into this - the video was actually used for their recent series, led by Dr Brian Cox, 'Wonders of the Universe'. It wasn't shown in full during the series (as it is/was on APOD) but rather they plucked each part of this video to accompany and give context to Brian's explanations throughout, so in essence if you watched the series you would have got many of the 'labels' that people are wanting to accompany the video as there is dialogue over the top of the music. In some cases though, Brian would explain a supernova for example, using the animation as visuals but still not reference the name of the star in question, stil leaving you to wonder what the simulation was based upon. The video posted on APOD looks like the raw version of the animation, which from what I can see was made up by a seprate company for the BBC to pull apart and use as they saw fit for the program.

Anyway, Wonders of the universe was a great series, and the successor to 'Wonders of the Solar System'. Its been a big hit and fast selling franchise for the BBC, with books and DVD's (some of which I own) spilling out the back of the series so I can totally understand them pulling it. There's more info here if anyone's interested: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zdhtg

anniekapn69

Post by anniekapn69 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:31 pm

Why would you have a site that refuses us, as if humans are race horses; BBC - Wonders of the Universe. Are they unfit?????? Annie

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Sigh. If only a certain other country could embark on a return to focusing on intelligent, educational, information-rich media instead of so much trailer park entertainment.

-Noel

maxxagain
Asternaut

Post by maxxagain » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:30 am

ThePiper
Ensign

Post by ThePiper » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:27 am

maxxagain wrote:Link to the video:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gowbvd4vqvbafjg

Thanks, Maxxagain!

:b: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jdbgn

Post by jdbgn » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:46 am

You have to watch the whole video to understand what they were trying to relate. When I say watch the video, I refer to the "Wonders of the Universe".
I don't care for the presenter but the program is worth every penny. Available from Amazon UK .

SandJ
Asternaut

Post by SandJ » Mon May 09, 2011 7:41 pm

I have been really, really busy lately; too busy to even allow myself 20 minutes to watch this video. So I have had the link open since 18th of April.

I am now full of a head cold and unable to be constructive. I thought: aha! I have that video to watch.

So here I am, all settled, phone off the hook and I click on "play".
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by British Broadcasting Corporation.
Sorry about that.
What great, fat, hairy, numbskull thought they could breach copyright like that?

Now I am well narked. I didn't get to see the video.

:evil:

Bum. Bum, bum, bum, bum, bum.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:20 am

SandJ wrote:I have been really, really busy lately; too busy to even allow myself 20 minutes to watch this video. So I have had the link open since 18th of April.

I am now full of a head cold and unable to be constructive. I thought: aha! I have that video to watch.

So here I am, all settled, phone off the hook and I click on "play".
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by British Broadcasting Corporation.
Sorry about that.
What great, fat, hairy, numbskull thought they could breach copyright like that?

Now I am well narked. I didn't get to see the video.

:evil:

Bum. Bum, bum, bum, bum, bum.
I believe that the video was originally submited by its creator. I've PM'd you with a link to the video from an archive site. In the banner at the top of the BB you will see that you have (1 new messages). Click on that text to open yout private messages. You will find one there with a link to the original video.
Enjoy