APOD: Earth Rotating Under VLT (2011 Jun 01)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
davidruben

Re: APOD: Earth Rotating Under VLT (2011 Jun 01)

Post by davidruben » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:37 pm

The video is described as "been digitally rotated so that it is the stars that stay (approximately) steady, and the Earth that moves beneath them". The digital alteration seems though misconcieved. What we seem to be shown is the ground rotating around a horizon point with the backdrop of stars staying still. Hence (where a dot is distant star) _. to \. to |. to /. yet if free floating in space the earth would not seem to rotate about this camera on one spot on its surface, but of course rotate about the earth's centre.

So while the description is of "as if the camera were floating free in space", this is anything but - that camera in space whilst indeed not rotating with respect to the distant stars would not see these views unless traveling in a huge circle, the diameter of the earth, so that its telescoped tangential view of one spot on the earth's surface would not change. If a camera in space was really free floating, i.e. stationary with respect to the star background, then the surface of the earth seen in these clips would rotate out of view at some 1000mph plus! No wonder people have commented about vertigo feeling !

LinuxGuyInVA

Post by LinuxGuyInVA » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:18 am

As of 21:16 US/EDT, youtube says:
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by nicolas fabian bustos vargas.
Sorry about that.
Anyone know what's up?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:41 am

LinuxGuyInVA wrote:As of 21:16 US/EDT, youtube says:
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by nicolas fabian bustos vargas.
Sorry about that.
Anyone know what's up?
Hmm, that's odd! An earlier version is still up.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
nicolas fabian bustos vargas (NikoBustos) is the uploader of the original video upon which this video is based.
He is not the copyright holder of any of the footage in the video. I suggest you voice your objections on his video.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

cmflyer
Ensign

Post by cmflyer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 am

I was going to show both videos to my students, but not either now that the edit has been redacted. It's very cool and educational and flattering to the original. Neener, neener, I guess.
cmflyer
Montana
USA

Craig

Post by Craig » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:59 am

I was saddened to see the video taken down by a copyright dispute. It was my intention to show it to someone unfamiliar with the site; pity that small minds and big egos so often obscure a far larger universe. Thanks for posting the video regardless. :D

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:17 am

bystander wrote:
nicolas fabian bustos vargas (NikoBustos) is the uploader of the original video upon which this video is based.
He is not the copyright holder of any of the footage in the video. I suggest you voice your objections on his video.
http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheBizarroJerry.htm wrote:
    • The Bizarro Jerry
    FELDMAN: Look who I ran into.

[VARGAS, a heavy Fed-Ex guy comes into view in the hall.]

VARGAS: [testy] Hello, José..

JOSE: [testy] Hello, VARGAS..

[They both break into grins, chuckling--it was a joke.]

JOSE: Ya wanna catch a ballgame this weekend?

VARGAS: Great! I'll see ya later! [leaves]

JOSE: Okay. [to self, smiling] VARGAS..
    [JERRY and GEORGE are eating at an outdoor table, possibly in a zoo.]

JERRY: All right. How 'bout this one: let's say you're abducted by aliens.

GEORGE: Fine.

JERRY: They haul you aboard the mother ship, take you back to their planet as a curiosity.
    Now: would you rather be in their zoo, or their circus?

GEORGE: I gotta go zoo. I feel like I could set more of my own schedule.

JERRY: But in the circus you get to ride around in the train, see the whole planet!

GEORGE: I'm wearin' a little hat, I'm jumpin' through fire.. They're puttin' their little alien heads in my mouth..

JERRY: [resigned] At least it's show business..

GEORGE: But in the zoo, you know, they might, put a woman in there with me to uh.. you know, get me to mate.

JERRY: What if she's got no interest in you?

GEORGE: W--then I'm pretty much where I am now. At least I got to take a ride on a spaceship.
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:35 am

I have to wonder about the validity of the complaint, given that the credits on the version vargas uploaded say
ALL IMAGES: (eso.org) taken on location by Stephane Guisard and Jose Francisco Salgado.

ESO/S. Guisard (http://www.eso.org/~sguisard)

ESO/José Francisco Salgado (http://www.josefrancisco.org)
and these two are credited with the video shown on today's APOD. Seems backwards to me, that vargas is claiming rights.
islader2 wrote:Since ANN and OWL like the music, I withdraw my comment about the bad music. ANN and OWL often are more sagacious that APOD itself.
Thank you! Kind of you to say, but unnecessary; music is an individual thing, as the soundtrack used in the vargas video clearly shows. I found that soundtrack.... ahhh.... let's say "not to my liking" and leave it at that. I did like the music on the APOD video, and in checking out the composer, was amused to find a work called Yak-Sized Piece of Grit That Flew Into My Eye, Causing 15 Seconds of Painful Disorientation. Made me laugh, that!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Stonefoot

Post by Stonefoot » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:41 am

It would be nice if someone could check on the copyright status of videos before posting them as a "picture of the day" - - unless they did and got blindsided, in which case I'd want to know who did that (to put them on my permanent sh*tlist).

bubbaraymartin

Post by bubbaraymartin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:33 am

What a shame the video was redacted due to some sort of copyright war. So much for mr. vargas's possible large number of views and the satisfaction of having the video become a part of APOD. :?

mizaralcor64

Post by mizaralcor64 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:26 am

Interesting that the video has been pulled under a copyright claim. First time I've seen that in APOD. Which begs the question, why not remove it and post another one?

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:48 am

mizaralcor64 wrote:
Interesting that the video has been pulled under a copyright claim. First time I've seen that in APOD.

Which begs the question, why not remove it and post another one?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
<<Begging the question is a type of logical fallacy in which the proposition to be proven is assumed implicitly or explicitly in the premise. The first known definition in the West is by the Greek philosopher Aristotle around 350 BC, in his book Prior Analytics, where he classified it as a material fallacy. Begging the question is related to the circular argument or circular reasoning, though these are considered absolutely different by Aristotle.

Example:
  • Person 1: Bob is annoyed right now.
    Person 2: How do you know?
    Person 1: Well, because he is really angry.
Many English speakers assume "begs the question" means "raises the question" and use it accordingly:for example, "this year's deficit is half a trillion dollars, which begs the question: how are we ever going to balance the budget?" Many experts deem such usage incorrect.>>
Art Neuendorffer

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:02 am

I never saw the video due to it being pulled under the copyright claim. I do though wonder why the 'Astronomy Picture of the Day' is gradually becoming more an 'Astrononomy Video of the Day'. I very much prefer a single astronomy image to having to watch videos that I also sometimes have problems loading. I hope members do not mind me posting my moan as I appreciate from threads over time that videos seem to be popular with others.

Edit added shortly after I posted. I've found that the "here" in the final sentence of the explanation brings up an 8 minutes 10 seconds video titled 'VLT (Very Large Telescope) HD Timelapse Footage'. I wonder how that original video (credited to NikoBustos) compares to what was the APOD video before it was pulled. Thanks for any help.

mizaralcor18
Asternaut

Post by mizaralcor18 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:32 pm

Wow, people really like to waste space on off-the-topic posts on this list. I didn't really need a lecture on begs the question. I doubt if anyone else did either.

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:41 pm

mizaralcor18 wrote:
Wow, people really like to waste space on off-the-topic posts on this list.
I didn't really need a lecture on begs the question.
I doubt if anyone else did either.
Person 1: mizaralcor18 is annoyed right now.
Person 2: How do you know?
Person 1: Well, because he is really angry.
Art Neuendorffer

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:17 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:I never saw the video due to it being pulled under the copyright claim. I do though wonder why the 'Astronomy Picture of the Day' is gradually becoming more an 'Astrononomy Video of the Day'. I very much prefer a single astronomy image to having to watch videos that I also sometimes have problems loading. I hope members do not mind me posting my moan as I appreciate from threads over time that videos seem to be popular with others.

Edit added shortly after I posted. I've found that the "here" in the final sentence of the explanation brings up an 8 minutes 10 seconds video titled 'VLT (Very Large Telescope) HD Timelapse Footage'. I wonder how that original video (credited to NikoBustos) compares to what was the APOD video before it was pulled. Thanks for any help.
I've just found that the video is now live when clicking on the arrow on the APOD (the other links though still state the video is blocked) so I've been able to see it! :o

Pablo Morgan

Post by Pablo Morgan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:56 pm

Though some at the VLT might be offended, I surely heard the great refrain of The Beatles,
But the fool on the hill,
Sees the sun going down,
And the eyes in his head,
See the world spinning 'round.

Nice job. An inspired way of looking.