APOD: QR Codes: Not for Human Eyes (2011 Oct 04)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Dr ikey

Re: APOD: QR Codes: Not for Human Eyes (2011 Oct 04)

Post by Dr ikey » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:35 pm

We're not all ET wonks. Most of us are fascinated by the natural - not the man-made or the whimsical (like communicating with "extra terrestrials").

mtbdudex
Ensign

Post by mtbdudex » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:37 pm

So;
I saw this QR code, took my iPhone4 out, and scanned it hoping to see some Easter Egg, another great/educational NASA APOD, then I came to the APOD page with explain of QE, felt confused.

Read the comments posted here, I’d like to offer my take on this.

Can we take QR’s to the next level?
In other words, we could have a NASA QR contest, where each person participating has their APOD user name embedded into the QR code, and the APOD site keeps track of how many hits is generated over a specified time frame.

People participating in the contest would spread NASA APOD via their forums, their avatars, facebook, etc.

Point would be some “fun” and exposure for NASA APOD, “winner” could get some small NASA swag, possible a t-shirt?

Just thinking outside the box and a different viewpoint than those posted.
Mike R, P.E. .....iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 11-16 / 15-85 / f1.4 50
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head / iOptron EQ tracker
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110805.html

NotDom

Post by NotDom » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:40 pm

On my phone (An android phone) I have a phone app that automatically downloads the APOD and sets it as my background (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.blork.anpod). I like it as I get a nice surprise when I get up in the morning and (usually) something nice and new to look at during the day. Today was certainly a surprise as my background is so ugly that it makes it hard to find my icons. I first thought my phone had crashed. Today is the first time I changed my background off an APOD. So sad... :cry:

Phix
Asternaut

Post by Phix » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:43 pm

What's with all the APOD hate today? I also like pretty pictures of nebulas, but APOD posting a QR code is by no means the end of the world. Also, it's nice to see some of the background and uses explaned.

Thank you, APOD! I'll still be loading the page every morning :)

evajsmom

Post by evajsmom » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Please don't do this again.

tuvac

Post by tuvac » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:48 pm

what does this have to do with astrophysics?

why don't we show a plate of scrambled eggs next and call it entropy?

for years and years, day after day, on this site, but no scrambled eggs, or even a mention of them, but all of a sudden an iUPC is exciting, enthralling, or enlightening? to put it into perspective, lazy realtors are using the iUPCs now on their lawn signs.

welcome to further commodotization..

Jace

Post by Jace » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:50 pm

Perhaps tomorrow we can have some Spongebob related image? Afterall cartoons have historically have space themes...pluto, Bugs bunny. Not, of course, that this new APOD approach needs any theme it seems!!!!

Enderby

Post by Enderby » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:52 pm

I've never posted on here before obviously but I go to APOD everyday. I can't believe the posts I'm reading. Every one of you has sand in your vagina. Not every picture here is related to astronomy but who cares? Don't you like the occassional unrelated picture? You probably learned something you didn't already know. What a bunch of spoiled brats you all are. Keep up the good work, APOD!

xmyuux

Post by xmyuux » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:55 pm

Had to post something. OMG 6 pages! o_o Geez, what time do you all get up in the morning just for this? All grouchy so early... I will echo what lots of people have already said: interesting read, thanks for the infos, let's move on. I'm not particularly fond of a few subject matters on some picture posts but I know there is always tomorrow. I have better things to "foam at the mouth" at.

Thanks APOD for the infos! : D

flip

Post by flip » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:56 pm

i am dissapointed about todays picture. you can do better!
bye

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:59 pm

I tend to agree with other comments aboput the QR image, though I am essentially charitable in nature. APOD is a daily treat for me, something I look to first thing when I log on in the morning at work. I'll consider this is like getting the one cocoanut bonbon in the Russell Stover's candy box - just an unpleasant selection for me, today. I'll surreptitiously spit it out in a napkin, look back through a few archive images, and keep on hoping for for a raspberry cream tomorrow!

splammo1

Post by splammo1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:07 pm

I had been thinking the very same thing - regarding QR codes and alien communication. Once in awhile it's neat to take a break with something like this. How about something new about Haumea or Pluto soon? (From a fan who links to your website.)

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:08 pm

Wow! A lot of ticked off people about a QR being the APOD url. Sorry, I just don't get why anyone would be mad. Especially to the point of GBCW http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gbcw.

Lara

Post by Lara » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:09 pm

I don't have a phone that can scan these things, so I also feel a bit disappointed by today's post. :cry:

KJK22956

Post by KJK22956 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:16 pm

Yo APOD,

Wow....what a bunch of unforgiving readers!

Don't post any photos of Paris Hilton...and I'll be totally happy.

jinger
Ensign

Post by jinger » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:21 pm

The sum total of the posts in this discussion is an education in the diversity of human nature more than anything else

Daddio

Post by Daddio » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Count me in as one viewer who liked the QR picture. It's a nice break from the artsy landscape shots and over-processed nebula photos. I prefer a picture that teaches me something new each day, and this photo did just that. Please give us more 8" scope, backyard light-polluted pictures with interesting facts. Now there's something I can relate to.

Nosefirst

Post by Nosefirst » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:26 pm

Obama's IQ

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:27 pm

Phix wrote:....but APOD posting a QR code is by no means the end of the world.
^^^THIS^^^

Enderby wrote: Every one of you has sand in your vagina.
:shock: Even the males among us????!!!?! :shock:
(LOL!)

Peter123123 wrote:And please drop the juvenile nonsense, that people shouldn't complain about a website, but should just make their own instead. It's not valid. If you don't like peoples real opinions, don't visit the forum.
And get over yourself, Peter123123. You think you are the only one allowed to post an opinion? Puh-leeze. :roll:
Oh and click on any one of the links in the description, and you might learn something as well.

:saturn:
Forget the box, just get outside.

karma98g@yahoo.com

Post by karma98g@yahoo.com » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:28 pm

I like this post. It's relevancy to astronomy is obvious to me; simply the connection to our alien message, and it could be considered nice/fascinating to look at in a modernistic way, and finally, I learned something I did not know ~ a 2D representation of a bar code. I'm satisfied! Frankly, I've been getting bored of nebulae pics...I no longer read the text, and I've been a daily fan of APOD for years.

Firehorse

Post by Firehorse » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:29 pm

Thank you, APOD! These strange symbols have suddenly popped up everywhere and I did not even know what they were called. I have the APOD archive for hours and hours of interesting photos. Today's picture helped me in a different way.

qmutt

Post by qmutt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:30 pm

people, rather than complaining better to petition nasa for new editors of this page.
the two current editors seem to have tired of their task, as they frequently go off topic.
today's being one of the most absurd examples.
the apod page is a great educational tool but when it's used like this it becomes a joke that only the editors seem to be in on.
contact nasa for some fresh blood & focused direction:
phillip.a.newman@nasa.gov

Mikeandhisharem

Post by Mikeandhisharem » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:31 pm

Wow! Lighten up astrogeeks :D I enjoyed the QR Code. Nice and informative.

lewfoster

Post by lewfoster » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:35 pm

Agree with those posting prior to me - lame waste of time.

yybar

Post by yybar » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Seriously. You guys put this up on a day that the Nobel prize was awarded to 3 astronomers?