APOD: QR Codes: Not for Human Eyes (2011 Oct 04)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.

jridley

Re: APOD: QR Codes: Not for Human Eyes (2011 Oct 04)

Post by jridley » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:44 pm

Yeah, I too am upset that the stuff I get for free doesn't meet my expectations. I deserve that you work to give me interesting content every day forever for no cost.

Kadaitcha_Man
Ensign

Post by Kadaitcha_Man » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:13 pm

QR? Quick Response?...or Quantum R?
My immediate analysis of this image compels me to the irreducibly decoded conclusion that it simply means "Seeing is believing".
From a more enigmatical quantative perspective (as in 'Q') I sense an holistic wailing of ungrateful prats who bear no appreciation whatsoever for the hard work and dedication of those who work on the APOD site, hence 'Quantum R'.

steve case

Post by steve case » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:24 am

I visit APOD every day, and I find most of the deep space photos
as grand and glorious as they are rather boring. Seen one you
have seen them all. Starship Asterisk however is a cute illustration
of the sorts of technology that is helping us leave the planet.
Is that a stretch? Sue me! Well anyway I love this sort of thing.
And I find that it's technology that I can use. I created a code
that leads to an image of my calling card. I thought it great fun.

Deb

Post by Deb » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:23 pm

alter-ego wrote:Is it the APOD URL?
This is the code of mobile en Wikipedia

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:16 am

I derived a new meaning for it, bubbling up well beyond its intended meaning. I printed it out on thick card stock, cut it out and now use it as a coaster for a glass of beer. Skål

Rob

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Perhaps, now that the link leads to todays APOD rather than itself anymore, traffic in this thread will (and has) come to a skreeching halt

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:10 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
Perhaps, now that the link leads to todays APOD rather than itself anymore,
traffic in this thread will (and has) come to a skreeching halt
MegasCOPS will see to that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screech-owl wrote: <<Screech owls or Screech-owls are typical owls (Strigidae) belonging to the genus Megascops. Twenty-one living species are known at present, but new ones are frequently recognized and unknown ones are still being discovered on a regular basis, especially in the Andes. For most of the 20th century, this genus was merged with the Old World scops owls in Otus, but nowadays it is again considered separate based on a range of behavioral, biogeographical, morphological and DNA sequence data.

Screech owls are restricted to the Americas. As usual for owls, female screech owls are usually larger and fatter than the males of their species, with owls of both sexes being compact in size, shape, and height. The Eastern Screech Owl Megascops asio is one of the smallest species of owls in North America. All of the birds in this genus are small and agile. Screech owls are generally colored in various brownish hues with usually a whitish, patterned underside, which helps to camouflage them against the bark of trees. Some are polymorphic, occurring in a grayish- and a reddish-brown morph.

A screech owl fossil from the Late Pliocene of Kansas indicates a longstanding presence of these birds in the Americas, while coeval scops owl fossils very similar to the Eurasian Scops Owl have been found at S'Onix on Majorca. The scops and screech owl lineage probably evolved at some time during the Miocene (like most other genera of typical owls), and the three modern lineages separated perhaps roughly 5 million years ago. Like almost all scops and screech owls today, their common ancestor was in all probability already a small owl, with ear tufts and at least the upper tarsus ("leg") feathered.>>
Art Neuendorffer

captwiggins

Post by captwiggins » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:21 pm

Please remind people that those fantastic, colorful pictures of galaxies, nebulae, etc., are time exposures. They do not portray the actual object as it appears from earth.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:04 pm

captwiggins wrote:Please remind people that those fantastic, colorful pictures of galaxies, nebulae, etc., are time exposures. They do not portray the actual object as it appears from earth.
Actually, they more accurately portray the objects as they appear from the Earth, by eliminating some of the physical limitations on human vision. (I guess it comes down to what you mean by "appear"; if you restrict the word to human vision, the Universe "appears" to be a pretty boring place!)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:01 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
if you restrict the word to human vision, the Universe "appears" to be a pretty boring place!
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 57#p118657
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 14#p159614
Art Neuendorffer

Rick314
Asternaut

Post by Rick314 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:09 pm

bystander wrote:Image

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:13 pm

Wow, what a bunch of winers! Are you people always like this? :?

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:17 pm

Just Me wrote:Wow, what a bunch of winers! Are you people always like this? :?
Nah,
It is mainly the Unregistered occasional Lookie Lew (guest) that has anything negative to say about any non space image on the site

dan reiswig

Post by dan reiswig » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:39 am

Dr. Nemiroff and Dr. Bonnell:

Thank you for enriching my life in so many ways over the last 16 years. Many times APOD has brought laughter to my day with whimsical posts, occasionally it has brought tears to my eyes with images that evoke emotions that I cannot express in words, but always it has brought enlightenment. I feel a deep sense of appreciation for the many hours you have spent helping me to see and understand our place in this glorious universe. I not only give you my permission, but I encourage you to continue posting ANY material that YOU find interesting on these pages. I will continue visiting APOD and I will be richer for it.

To those who have posted such vehement condemnations, I suggest you look for a way to redirect your time and energy towards something that adds even the smallest fraction of value to society that APOD can claim.

Rick314
Asternaut

Post by Rick314 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:23 am

FYI, this thread currently holds the #3 position in the forum for number of replies:
1) Strange streak discussion: 2004 Dec 7 APOD -- 2124 replies
2) APOD: Global Warming Predictions (2009 April 21) -- 592 replies
3) APOD: QR Codes: Not for Human Eyes (2011 Oct 04) -- 391 replies (and counting)

BigSwifty

Post by BigSwifty » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:14 am

I'm shocked at the outpouring of negative sentiments regarding this APOD. Its an attempt at mixing things up and is one photo out of a vast gallery of outstanding astronomical wonders. Your brilliant images with informative explanations are a one of the few things I look forward to on a daily basis. So rather than berate the effort because of one seemingly lack-luster post, I want to thank everyone responsible for the APOD, day in and day out for outstanding material that never ceases to amaze me.

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:22 am

BigSwifty wrote:I'm shocked at the outpouring of negative sentiments regarding this APOD. Its an attempt at mixing things up and is one photo out of a vast gallery of outstanding astronomical wonders. Your brilliant images with informative explanations are a one of the few things I look forward to on a daily basis. So rather than berate the effort because of one seemingly lack-luster post, I want to thank everyone responsible for the APOD, day in and day out for outstanding material that never ceases to amaze me.
I agree with you completely.
Last edited by alter-ego on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

guest Ro

Post by guest Ro » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:20 pm

I scanned the code and my blackberry rebooted. why, why??

OzRattler
Ensign

Post by OzRattler » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:42 pm

Hey All!!!

It would seem that a lot of petulant kids like APOD. HAHAHA! Strewth! If it's free, then be grateful.

I particularly liked how it sent me off on a tangent that I would not otherwise have contemplated. :D

Have fun!

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

...tom...

Post by ...tom... » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:12 pm

jridley wrote:Yeah, I too am upset that the stuff I get for free doesn't meet my expectations. I deserve that you work to give me interesting content every day forever for no cost.
This.

Amazing how spoiled we are . . .from the mini-selection of comments read from sixteen pages.

...tom...

Geeze oh man

Post by Geeze oh man » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:13 pm

O.K. people, I think its time for a reality check. The truth is that APOD is one of the very finest web pages on the internet today. It certainly harks back to a better time when the internet was free from the onslaught of advertising madness. Don't be one of those "Ya, but what have you done for me lately?" people. APOD could post a pic of Alfred E. Numan all week long, and still be tops in my book. I think todays story was an interesting tidbit, and is quite worth my while in my book. Anything that is perfect all the time is a bit boring; how else would you know when an APOD pic needs to become your next new PC wallpaper? Lighten up.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:09 pm

Geeze oh man wrote:O.K. people, I think its time for a reality check. The truth is that APOD is one of the very finest web pages on the internet today. It certainly harks back to a better time when the internet was free from the onslaught of advertising madness. Don't be one of those "Ya, but what have you done for me lately?" people. APOD could post a pic of Alfred E. Numan all week long, and still be tops in my book. I think todays story was an interesting tidbit, and is quite worth my while in my book. Anything that is perfect all the time is a bit boring; how else would you know when an APOD pic needs to become your next new PC wallpaper? Lighten up.
Will this do :?:
Alfred E. Neuman.jpg
Alfred E. Neuman.jpg (75.04 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Cys

Post by Cys » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:36 pm

thanks to the best of votes, I finally checked out the boards....
After reading all the slamming posts at one of the occasional tech pic APOD might throwout.... not sure you bunch are safe to talk with.... :shock:
Been following the pics since the start, 1995. I love it so I now use it for work to confirm a browser is not using a cached page while I troubleshoot computer connection and browsing issues. Claerly the only misstep was not including instructions to print out the link and spread it around :wink: