APOD: Red Aurora Over Australia (2012 Feb 01)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: APOD: Red Aurora Over Australia (2012 Feb 01)

Post by bystander » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:52 pm

wolf kotenberg wrote:Is it possible to " git " a picture like this for us in the northern latitutes ? Maybe a poster size ?
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Scabulus
Asternaut

Post by Scabulus » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:44 am

It is possible that it did glow green, but the sea level observer couldn't see it because of the curvature of the earth. In the summer, I can see thunderstorms a couple hundred miles away, but I only see the tops. In the time lapse video of the aurora, some green can be observed, but it is concentrated on the horizon. It is possible that during that time the aurora was closer, thus making the green visible to the observer.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:33 am

But I was thinking of a plan
To dye one's whiskers green,
And always use so large a fan
That they could not be seen.
So, having no reply to give
To what Scabulus said,
I cried, "Come, tell me how you live!"
And thumped him on the head.
Scabulus wrote:
It is possible that it did glow green, but the sea level observer couldn't see it because of the curvature of the earth. In the summer, I can see thunderstorms a couple hundred miles away, but I only see the tops. In the time lapse video of the aurora, some green can be observed, but it is concentrated on the horizon. It is possible that during that time the aurora was closer, thus making the green visible to the observer.
Art Neuendorffer

Flase
Brother of Ture

Post by Flase » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:13 pm

Of course you're also looking through a lot of atmosphere at the horizon. The Sun also appears red.

Flase
Brother of Ture

Post by Flase » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:25 pm

The video has a lot of satellites whizzing past. There might have also been one or two meteors.
We have a lot of space traffic up there, don't we? No wonder space junk is a concern.

Flase
Brother of Ture

Post by Flase » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:34 pm

Imagine the night sky in a couple of hundred years. Such a timelapse video would look like a web of white lines of satellite paths.
There might even be space stations big enough to see clearly with your naked eye.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:35 pm

Flase wrote:Of course you're also looking through a lot of atmosphere at the horizon. The Sun also appears red.
Yeah, but these colors are produced by narrow emission lines. No amount of atmosphere can make a narrow green line look red- all it can to is reduce the brightness.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:38 pm

Flase wrote:Imagine the night sky in a couple of hundred years. Such a timelapse video would look like a web of white lines of satellite paths.
There might even be space stations big enough to see clearly with your naked eye.
Unless we're back in the stone ages by then <g>.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

wbd
Ensign

Post by wbd » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:47 pm

terrastro wrote:It was my first visual Aurora and I was overwhelmed with emotions.

Alex Cherney
Awesome imagery Alex, congratulations!

Oh man, I wish I had have known about this. I've always wanted to see an aurora (it's #1 on my 'bucket list') and I only live a few kilometres away from Flinders in the outer SE suburbs of Melbourne! :clap:
I always thought I'd have to travel to very northern latitudes - Canada, Scandinavia, etc. - to see one, but here's one in my own backyard and I didn't even know about it. :(
Is there any way of knowing (weather permitting of course) when and where auroras might be visible and if so, are there any websites that publish such information (I have looked at http://www.iceinspace.com.au a couple of times - would that be the best resource for such information)?

Cheers,
Rohan

Flase
Brother of Ture

Post by Flase » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Flase wrote:Of course you're also looking through a lot of atmosphere at the horizon. The Sun also appears red.
Yeah, but these colors are produced by narrow emission lines. No amount of atmosphere can make a narrow green line look red- all it can to is reduce the brightness.
It probably did that, then, meaning any green was lost.

terrastro
Ensign

Post by terrastro » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:19 pm

wbd wrote:
terrastro wrote:It was my first visual Aurora and I was overwhelmed with emotions.

Alex Cherney
Awesome imagery Alex, congratulations!

Oh man, I wish I had have known about this. I've always wanted to see an aurora (it's #1 on my 'bucket list') and I only live a few kilometres away from Flinders in the outer SE suburbs of Melbourne! :clap:
I always thought I'd have to travel to very northern latitudes - Canada, Scandinavia, etc. - to see one, but here's one in my own backyard and I didn't even know about it. :(
Is there any way of knowing (weather permitting of course) when and where auroras might be visible and if so, are there any websites that publish such information (I have looked at http://www.iceinspace.com.au a couple of times - would that be the best resource for such information)?

Cheers,
Rohan
I use these two web pages as a guide:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/forecast.html
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/OverviewS.html

Cheers,
Alex

wbd
Ensign

Post by wbd » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:57 pm

terrastro wrote:I use these two web pages as a guide:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/forecast.html
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/OverviewS.html
Thank you!

Cheers,
Rohan

Madaya

Post by Madaya » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:41 am

Ahh, I get it, because I am at a higher latitude (~33 deg south), I mostly see the 'upper' red regions of the Aurora = solved.

jessy27
Ensign

Post by jessy27 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:55 pm

Rohan,
I grew up in Alaska and as far as I know there's no way to predict when an aurora borealis will happen except it
happens more often in the middle of winter when it's coldest. Green is most common but I have been there
when the whole sky was lit up with all the colors or the rainbow. awesome :D