APOD: At the Core of NGC 6752 (2012 Feb 10)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: APOD: At the Core of NGC 6752 (2012 Feb 10)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Ann wrote:Chris, can you explain the point of having a "blue" filter which is entirely contained inside a "green" or clear filter?
I don't know the science goals behind the choice of filters used here. There's a good chance that data was collected using other filters as well.

From the standpoint of producing something like a "true color" image, there is no point at all in having the bandpass of one filter contained within another. Ideally, you'd have three bands with separated peaks and overlapping wings. But I think it's a good bet that there was no intent to capture an RGB image with this project.

These filters might be good for distinguishing typical blue stragglers (which will be strong in the G and B channels) from other main sequence stars (many of which will be stronger in the G channel relative to the B channel), from young stars (which will be comparatively strong in the R channel, with my channel nomenclature reflecting the display device, not the filters used). That's only a guess, but it's representative of the logic behind choosing a set of filters for making a science image. Images like this may be used for surveys, as well, identifying stars or other objects that will later be subjected to spectrographic analysis based on the relative weight of different sample filters.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:47 pm

alter-ego wrote:Not mentioned so far is one suspicious clue which supports an extraneous source for an internal reflection: All the figure 8's are aligned the same way. Looking at other 6752 pictures, I identified the APOD star field and quickly discovered that the figure 8's are all wistfully pointing to a "bright" 7.6 magnitude star (HIP 94198 / HD177999) located ≈2.6' out of the FoV. One reference I checked lists the star having a B-V = -0.03 which I believe fits within Chris's spectral expectations. I believe this star is the light source for those figure 8 artifacts.
Caustic reflections are often caused by bright sources outside the FOV. They can also change with the choice of filter, simply because a mechanical change inside the telescope makes light bounce around differently. They can also show an artificial color, largely unrelated to the source, because they are colored by the objects their light reflected from. In many cases this will be a AR coated optical surface, which means these artifacts are often green or blue, the colors most commonly reflected from AR surfaces.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
alter-ego wrote:Not mentioned so far is one suspicious clue which supports an extraneous source for an internal reflection: All the figure 8's are aligned the same way. Looking at other 6752 pictures, I identified the APOD star field and quickly discovered that the figure 8's are all wistfully pointing to a "bright" 7.6 magnitude star (HIP 94198 / HD177999) located ≈2.6' out of the FoV. One reference I checked lists the star having a B-V = -0.03 which I believe fits within Chris's spectral expectations. I believe this star is the light source for those figure 8 artifacts.
Caustic reflections are often caused by bright sources outside the FOV. They can also change with the choice of filter, simply because a mechanical change inside the telescope makes light bounce around differently. They can also show an artificial color, largely unrelated to the source, because they are colored by the objects their light reflected from. In many cases this will be a AR coated optical surface, which means these artifacts are often green or blue, the colors most commonly reflected from AR surfaces.
Yes. I often use that attribute to help visually confirm (qualitatively) AR / HR coatings on AR coated optics ranging from UV to IR. Multi-layer, mult-wavelength coatings can result in multiple of colors.

I'm sure curious about the light path for these artifiacts. There appear to be some significant off-axis relections happening, but it's not clear to me if they are pre- or post filter glints from spectral information alone. However, given the faintness of the artifacts, it is reasonable that they involve an off-axis reflection from an AR coated surface.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:59 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Ann wrote:Chris, can you explain the point of having a "blue" filter which is entirely contained inside a "green" or clear filter?
I don't know the science goals behind the choice of filters used here. There's a good chance that data was collected using other filters as well.

From the standpoint of producing something like a "true color" image, there is no point at all in having the bandpass of one filter contained within another. Ideally, you'd have three bands with separated peaks and overlapping wings. But I think it's a good bet that there was no intent to capture an RGB image with this project.

These filters might be good for distinguishing typical blue stragglers (which will be strong in the G and B channels) from other main sequence stars (many of which will be stronger in the G channel relative to the B channel), from young stars (which will be comparatively strong in the R channel, with my channel nomenclature reflecting the display device, not the filters used). That's only a guess, but it's representative of the logic behind choosing a set of filters for making a science image. Images like this may be used for surveys, as well, identifying stars or other objects that will later be subjected to spectrographic analysis based on the relative weight of different sample filters.
Chris, thank you for your answer. Much as I love true color, I realize that from a scientific point of view nothing is necessarily gained from producing a "true" RGB image.

What I do wonder is what is gained from a scientific point of view from producing an image from three different filters where one filter is totally contained inside another filter.

So, Chris, this is my question. I have noticed that Hubble/ESA images are usually produced with no blue filter. Usually these images are produced using only two filters, and infrared one centered at 814 nm and a visual one centered at 606 nm. To me that last filter sounds like its aim was to capture yellow-orange light, but you tell me that this is a clear filter, aimed at capturing all optical light, like old black and white photography.

I have noticed, as I said, that very many Hubble/ESA images are produced with these two filters alone. They appear to be some sort of standard for ESA. The reason for using these two filters must be, or so I assume, to compare the optical and infrared appearance of objects in space. All right. That makes sense.

But I still can't can't understand the reason for adding a third filter which is completely contained inside the "clear" filter. You know very well, Chris, that I would have wanted a blue filter that was not contained inside the clear filter for aesthetic reasons. But we are not talking aesthetics here.

It seems to me that you would most probably get better scientific results by using a short-wave filter that was not entirely contained within the clear filter. It would, or so I think, be easier to tell the difference between blue stragglers and main sequence stars that way.

I was surprised at this:
These filters might be good for distinguishing typical blue stragglers (which will be strong in the G and B channels) from other main sequence stars (many of which will be stronger in the G channel relative to the B channel), from young stars (which will be comparatively strong in the R channel, with my channel nomenclature reflecting the display device, not the filters used).
I'm not absolutely sure what you are saying here, so correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't questioned the use of an infrared filter, so I'm still going to assume that the infrared filter is going to be used. So, okay, Chris. Are you saying that young stars, regardless of spectral class, will be comparatively strong in the R channel, but not in the I channel? So we can distinguish a B8V main sequence star from a 12,000 degrees Kelvin horizontal branch star from the fact that the main sequence star will be noticeably brighter than the horizontal branch star in the R channel, but not in the I channel?

Fascinating, as Spock would have said. Why will the B8V star produce more red light than the hot horizontal branch star, if they are the same temperature?

Also, the main sequence young stars must emit more red light, but not more infrared light, if the infrared filter can't distinguish between these two kinds of stars, but two optical filters where one is entirely contained within the other can do the job. This seems pretty far from Occam's Razor to me.

My impression - and I will be grateful to you if you explain to me why I am wrong! - is that the people at ESA who use Hubble to take their pictures are somehow almost perversely unwilling to look at the universe through a blue filter. They want to avoid doing it because they have an aversion against it.

Really, I understand that that can't be the reason. I will be grateful to you if you give me your opinion as to what the reason can be.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Ann wrote:What I do wonder is what is gained from a scientific point of view from producing an image from three different filters where one filter is totally contained inside another filter.
Actually, there can be more information present in that case than when you have two filters that don't overlap at all. In one case you have additive data, in the other subtractive (very much like additive and subtractive color). Either way, different wavelengths of light produce different ratios between the two channels, right? I think that you'll agree, looking at the transmission curve for the F606W filter, that it's basically clear. If you look through it, you'll see everything with a very slight yellow cast, due to the cutoff of deep blue and violet (filters like this are sometimes called "minus violet", and are popular with visual observers because they eliminate most chromatic aberration when using a telescope). If you look at a deep red source through this filter, you'll see it as red- the light is passed. If you look at it through the overlapping F555W filter, you won't see anything, because that filter blocks red. So by using this pair of filters, you've narrowed the spectral range of the source... which is the purpose of filters.

There is a technique for producing color images from just luminance and two color channels (actually, broadcast color TV does something like this). If you have an unfiltered (luminance) image, along with red and blue channels (perhaps because you were doing photometry, and those were good filter choices), you can make an RGB image by assigning the red channel to the red data, the blue channel to the blue data, and the green channel to (L - R - B). Green is synthesized by removing the red and blue from the luminance.
So, Chris, this is my question. I have noticed that Hubble/ESA images are usually produced with no blue filter. Usually these images are produced using only two filters, and infrared one centered at 814 nm and a visual one centered at 606 nm. To me that last filter sounds like its aim was to capture yellow-orange light, but you tell me that this is a clear filter, aimed at capturing all optical light, like old black and white photography.
We tend to think of "color" from the trichromatic human experience. But in the broadest sense, color just conveys some sort of spectral information, and the simplest way to do that is with a bichromatic system (which is much more common in the animal world than trichromacy). The Hubble camera can only take an image through one filter at a time, and observing time is valuable. So the fewer filters you use, the better. I think a great deal of effort went into planning the characteristics of the filters that are available- considering particularly the ways that the data can be used by adding and subtracting different components to synthesize others. Does that make sense?
But I still can't can't understand the reason for adding a third filter which is completely contained inside the "clear" filter. You know very well, Chris, that I would have wanted a blue filter that was not contained inside the clear filter for aesthetic reasons. But we are not talking aesthetics here.
Well, in this case it is obvious that there was no blue data to work with. But you don't necessarily need a dedicated blue channel. Using the same technique I described above, you could have data from a clear filter (typically with an IR cut), and separate red and green channels which fully overlap that, and then synthesize blue from (L-R-G). That gives you the same information as if you had used a blue filter, but it saves one entire exposure.
It seems to me that you would most probably get better scientific results by using a short-wave filter that was not entirely contained within the clear filter. It would, or so I think, be easier to tell the difference between blue stragglers and main sequence stars that way.
I don't know that the intent of the study was to identify blue stragglers. However, even if that was a goal, the filters used might be ideal for this purpose. I don't really know- stellar spectroscopy isn't my area of expertise. But here's an important point: when you make an image, the intensity you measure for any source has a signal component- the number of photons you actually record, and a noise component- the uncertainty on that value. Measuring light sources follows the rules of Poisson statistics, which means that the uncertainty is equal to the square root of the signal. If you count 100 photons, you only know that the true intensity of the source is 100±5; your signal-to-noise ratio (S/N) is 10. If you collect 10,000 photons, you know the actual source intensity is 10,000±50; your S/N is 100- much better. So in astronomical imaging, a primary goal is always to collect as many photons as possible. One way to do this is to increase the collection area, which is one reason for making big telescopes. But filters work by excluding photons (that's what "filter" means!) The narrower the bandwidth of the filter, the fewer photons you record, and the worse your S/N. Just look at the APOD images that have narrowband data, and you'll see that those channels typically involve hours of exposure time, because that's what you need to get enough photons when your filter is only 6nm wide. RGB exposures are typically much shorter, because those broad filters allow more light to be collected in the same time.

The scientific value of the HST camera data is closely linked to its S/N. So whenever possible, I think that observing programs are planned around using the widest pass filters possible (a review of the complete filter list shows that there are quite a few wide filters available). By choosing them carefully, high S/N data can be collected, and some narrow band (although lower S/N) data can still be synthesized from the overlap regions- without requiring additional dedicated exposures.
I was surprised at this:
These filters might be good for distinguishing typical blue stragglers (which will be strong in the G and B channels) from other main sequence stars (many of which will be stronger in the G channel relative to the B channel), from young stars (which will be comparatively strong in the R channel, with my channel nomenclature reflecting the display device, not the filters used).
I'm not absolutely sure what you are saying here, so correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't questioned the use of an infrared filter, so I'm still going to assume that the infrared filter is going to be used. So, okay, Chris. Are you saying that young stars, regardless of spectral class, will be comparatively strong in the R channel, but not in the I channel? So we can distinguish a B8V main sequence star from a 12,000 degrees Kelvin horizontal branch star from the fact that the main sequence star will be noticeably brighter than the horizontal branch star in the R channel, but not in the I channel?
Don't read too much into my example: it was hypothetical. My only point was that different classes of stars will show different signal ratios through the filters that were used, and from this a clever data analyst can probably figure out all sorts of useful things about what classes are present. I think a blackbody curve can be fully specified by three samples taken at different wavelengths, which means an unambiguous temperature can be determined. The choice of sample wavelengths used may be very odd from a visual standpoint, and may not even make an accurate visual reconstruction possible. But that is often not the goal, so the filters are chosen based on other criteria.
My impression - and I will be grateful to you if you explain to me why I am wrong! - is that the people at ESA who use Hubble to take their pictures are somehow almost perversely unwilling to look at the universe through a blue filter. They want to avoid doing it because they have an aversion against it.
There is exactly one broadband blue filter available on the camera- a Johnson B filter, and there are no narrowband blue filters. I think this reflects the fact that the blue part of the spectrum is not all that valuable scientifically. Or, more precisely, there isn't much information to be obtained by imaging that part of the spectrum that can't be obtained as well by looking elsewhere. So this filter is just not used very often by most researchers- from ESA or anywhere else.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Pavel Belozertsev

Post by Pavel Belozertsev » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:59 pm

geckzilla wrote:There are also two larger, fainter figure 8's at around the 5 o'clock position. I easily spotted them by looking at only the blue channel of the image in Photoshop, which I have included with the figures circled below.
(decided not to put the image itself in the thread since it's a fairly large download)
http://www.geckzilla.com/apod/figure8s.jpg

edit: Spotted a 4th one that goes off the lower right edge of the image after posting the picture. See if you can spot it.
Primary information see here.
http://www.astronomy.ru/forum/index.php ... 136.0.html

Pavel Belozertsev

Post by Pavel Belozertsev » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:19 pm

It is russian astronomical forum from "Zvezdochot" (or "Stargazer") magazine. 4 figure 8. Each 8 contain of disks. May be it's artifacts.
But may be it's disks of matter? :roll:

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:12 am

Pavel Belozertsev wrote:It is russian astronomical forum from "Zvezdochot" (or "Stargazer") magazine. 4 figure 8. Each 8 contain of disks. May be it's artifacts.
But may be it's disks of matter? :roll:
I'm confident the elliptical-ring pairs are ghost images originating from at least one "offending" star. We are not the first to see and characterize ACS image anomalies. The figure 8 features result from reflections between the ccd surface and detector window (multiple surface reflections).

Filters for HST WFC3
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
ACS CCD Image Anomalies in the Hubble Legacy Archive
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:06 am

Perhaps we should ask Rob. They seem to resemble something that he should be well familiar with :!: :yes: :chomp:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:45 am

Hello Ann, Chris, and everyone else:

It has been very enjoyable reading all this extended information. I have really enjoyed learning all these details. So now we know that the fingure eights are elliptical pairs that are reflective anomilies (something with CCD and ~20deg,) whose source is 'offending' and they are artifacts that are not old. :? O', this is loads of fun. I can't make any sence of the Russian conversations, but they have cool pictures also.

What a great weekend this has been! Thank you All.
Diana

Pavel Belozertsev

Post by Pavel Belozertsev » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:24 am

I was think it's black holes with ~ 10 solar mass and with disks of matter. 7 black holes in it globular cluster.

http://i44.tinypic.com/28miflc.gif
http://i44.tinypic.com/16bep1e.gif

In it cluster stars can merged.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:55 am

Chris, thank you very much for your answer and explanations. I understand what you mean about gathering light as efficiently as possible, and having as few filters as possible, and avoiding narrowband filters when possible. I suppose that subtracting the light of one filter from another might work as well as adding the light of one filter to another.

However, I was surprised at this:
There is exactly one broadband blue filter available on the camera- a Johnson B filter, and there are no narrowband blue filters.

I checked the "Fast Facts" and the filters used for various Hubble Heritage images. This is what I found:

Cepheid variable star V-1 in M31: F475X (Wide Blue) and F600LP (Long Pass)

NGC 4214: F225W (UV), F336W (UV), F438W (B), F487N (H-beta), F502N ([O III]), F547M (y), F657N (H-alpha+[N II]), and F814W (I)

NGC 1376: F435W (B), F475W (g), F606W (V), and F850LP (z)

NGC 1999: F450W (Wide B), F555W (V), F675W (R)

My impression is that several blue filters have been used to produce Hubble images.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:45 am

Ann wrote:My impression is that several blue filters have been used to produce Hubble images.
Yes, you're correct. I was discussing the filters available for the ACS/WFC camera (which was used for this NGC 6752 image). The WFC3 camera has an entirely different set of filters (itemized here), including some long pass and wide band blue filters. So when considering the imaging options, we have to look closely at the choice of camera used- which isn't always obvious without a bit of research.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Pavel Belozertsev

Post by Pavel Belozertsev » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:12 pm

What the telescope was shoot the core of NGC 6752 at ESO? How his name? Who was created blue channel?

Other photo of NGC 6752 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NGC_6 ... ikiSky.jpg

Thanks for answers Ann, Chris, Diana.
Pavel Belozertsev with best regards from Irkutsk, Russia.