APOD: The Opposing Tails of Comet Garradd (2012 Feb 28)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: APOD: The Opposing Tails of Comet Garradd (2012 Feb 28)

Post by neufer » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:09 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:
I don't know how uncommon resonance fluorescence is.

Let's just say that it often blends in so well with normal scattering as to (generally) go unnoticed.
That's part of it. But the most common type of fluorescence involves the absorption of a short wavelength photon
and subsequent emission of one of longer wavelength.
Common, a. [OE. commun, comon, OF. comun, F. commun, fr. L. communis; com- + munis ready to be of service; cf. Skr. mi to make fast, set up, build, Coth. gamains common, G. gemein, and E. mean low, common.]
  • 1. Belonging or relating equally, or similary, to more than one; as, you and I have a common interest in the property.

2. Belonging to or shared by, affecting or serving, all the members of a class.

3. Often met with; usual; frequent; customary.

4. Not distinguished or exceptional; inconspicuous; ordinary; plebeian; -- often in a depreciatory sense.

5. Profane; polluted.

6. Given to habits of lewdness; prostitute.
Chris Peterson wrote:
I'm not sure that the explanation given in your quoted text is correct. My understanding is that the green color we see from cyanogen and diatomic carbon in comas is the product of resonant fluorescence, where a photon is absorbed, kicking an electron into a higher energy state, from which it subsequently relaxes, releasing a photon. This is different from an ionization process, as described. I don't think the green color of the coma requires energies high enough to ionize the gas.
  • Indeed.
Nor does the green color of the coma really involve cyanogen (CN):
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Ann wrote:How can we explain the color of comet Hyakutake, which had a bright blue-green coma and a bright blue ion tail?
I don't know any specifics... but how is this odd? The color of the coma will range from neutral to yellowish to green/blue depending on its composition (the relative amounts of largely colorless gases like water and CO2, fluorescent or colored gases, and the amount and size of dust particles). The ion tail of all comets that I'm familiar with is blue, for the earlier stated reason.

Visually, I never saw any green in the coma of Hyakutake, just a neutral glowing head and a very long pale blue tail. Photographically, the comet looked very much like many comets, with a green coma and blue ion tail.
Last edited by Chris Peterson on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:32 pm

CN is cyanide (which is also common in comets). Cyanogen is (CN)2, and may not have been present in high concentrations in the coma of Lulin. It seems clear that the green coma in that case was primarily from diatomic carbon, which I think is often, but not always, the case.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:13 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Chris Peterson wrote:
CN is cyanide (which is also common in comets). Cyanogen is (CN)2, and may not have been present in high concentrations in the coma of Lulin. It seems clear that the green coma in that case was primarily from diatomic carbon, which I think is often, but not always, the case.
Art Neuendorffer