APOD: Milky Way Over Piton de l'Eau (2012 Jun 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
lup974
Ensign

Re: APOD: Milky Way Over Piton de l'Eau (2012 Jun 25)

Post by lup974 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Ann wrote:I admire the lovely composition and the wonderful tranquility and also majesty of the scene. And because I am a color nerd, I also admire the lovely colors of the Milky Way. Note the yellow color of the Large Sagittarius Star Cloud, the bright yellow patch at between ten and eleven o'clock. Note the blue color of the Small Sagittarius Star Cloud at about eleven o'clock. Note the pink color of the Lagoon Nebula to the left of the Small Sagittarius Star Cloud and M16 and M17 to the right of it.

Indeed, that's a lovely image!

Ann
I always try to progress in terms of color processing. It's not always easy for someone who comes from photography and not astronomy. This is why your comment makes me particularly happy. thank you Ann :D

Luc Perrot

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:17 pm

Great Pic!!!!!!!!

Boomer12k

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:20 pm

M. Perrot... I admire your DEDICATION!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:30 pm

I forgot to mention in my earlier post: this is a lovely image, very well composed, and full of interesting things to look at!
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

Flase
Brother of Ture

Post by Flase » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:53 am

Guest wrote:Why does the central band of the Milky Way typically appear arching? I would think that from Earth it would appear as a flat line since we are looking at the disc straight on.
I would suggest that it's because it takes so much of the sky that some sort of fish-eye lens is needed. Otherwise it is pretty straight as you say.

ThePiper
Ensign

Post by ThePiper » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:40 pm

eltodesukane wrote:
ThePiper wrote:Why is the Pipe nebula BELOW the center of the Milkyway? Normally (in my brain) it shoud be on top! :?:
Image was taken from the Piton de l'Eau on Reunion Island, which is in the southern hemisphere.
Oh no - something is wrong here. Today there's a picture of the Milkyway over Australia where the Pipe nebula is on top (northern) of the galactic Center, as it should be.
Reunion and Australia - both are located southern of the Equator.

So: This picture is a joke - isn't it? :roll:
The worst scientific finding of mankind: "Everything points to eternal darkness being the ultimate fate of the Universe. Sorry about that." (cit. Chris L Peterson, APOD)

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:34 pm

ThePiper wrote:
eltodesukane wrote:
ThePiper wrote:
Why is the Pipe nebula BELOW the center of the Milkyway? Normally (in my brain) it shoud be on top! :?:
Image was taken from the Piton de l'Eau on Reunion Island, which is in the southern hemisphere.
Oh no - something is wrong here. Today there's a picture of the Milkyway over Australia where the Pipe nebula is on top (northern) of the galactic Center, as it should be.

So: This picture is a joke - isn't it? :roll:
It matters most whether one is facing east or west.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:35 pm

ThePiper wrote:Oh no - something is wrong here. Today there's a picture of the Milkyway over Australia where the Pipe nebula is on top (northern) of the galactic Center, as it should be.
This has nothing to do with which side of the equator you're on. The Pipe Nebula is a bit north of the center of the Milky Way. If you make a Milky Way image when you are facing ~west, you'll see the nebula on top; if you're facing ~east, you'll see it on the bottom. "Top" and "bottom" aren't astronomical directions. Imagine a moonrise with a conjunction of Jupiter rising first. You'd say that Jupiter was "above" the Moon, right? But when you get to moonset, on the opposite horizon, Jupiter will appear "below" the Moon. Or for any Moon, the Man (bunny, grandmother, etc) will be flipped in the opposite direction between moonrise and moonset.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
ThePiper wrote:
This has nothing to do with which side of the equator you're on. The Pipe Nebula is a bit north of the center of the Milky Way. If you make a Milky Way image when you are facing ~west, you'll see the nebula on top; if you're facing ~east, you'll see it on the bottom. "Top" and "bottom" aren't astronomical directions. Imagine a moonrise with a conjunction of Jupiter rising first. You'd say that Jupiter was "above" the Moon, right? But when you get to moonset, on the opposite horizon, Jupiter will appear "below" the Moon. Or for any Moon, the Man (bunny, grandmother, etc) will be flipped in the opposite direction between moonrise and moonset.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Horse_%28astronomy%29 wrote: <<The Dark Horse Nebula or Great Dark Horse is a large dark nebula, which as seen from Earth, obscures part of the upper central bulge of the Milky Way. The Dark Horse lies in the southern constellation Ophiuchus (the Serpent Bearer), near its borders with the more famous constellations Scorpius and Sagittarius.

This region of dark nebulae is called Dark Horse because it resembles the side silhouette of a horse and appears dark as compared with the background glow of stars and star clouds. It is also known as "Great" because it is one of the largest (in apparent size) groups of dark nebulae in the sky.

The rear of The Great Dark Horse (its rump and hind legs), is also known as the Pipe Nebula, which itself carries the designation B77, B78, and B59. (The 'B' numbers named after the astronomer Edward Emerson Barnard, who catalogued dark nebulae.) The Snake Nebula extends from the Dark Horse to the Rho Ophiuchus nebulosity.>>
Art Neuendorffer

ThePiper
Ensign

Post by ThePiper » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:03 am

neufer wrote:Looking South at the Pipe Nebula:
Ok, it's heavy labour and a torture for my poor brain. It would be much easier to live in a flat, 2-dimensional world.
Anyway, I like this photo with the lovely drawing; I'm pipesmoker, in good company with Edwin Hubble. :ssmile:
The worst scientific finding of mankind: "Everything points to eternal darkness being the ultimate fate of the Universe. Sorry about that." (cit. Chris L Peterson, APOD)