APOD: Happy People Dancing on Planet Earth (2012 Jul 10)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Markus Schwarz
Science Officer

Re: APOD: Happy People Dancing on Planet Earth (2012 Jul 10)

Post by Markus Schwarz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:52 am

Yes, I can understand people who complain that they visit an Astronomy Picture of the Day site and don't see a picture that is directly related to a celestial object.

On the other hand, I think it is important that once in a while you get something that is not directly related to what you were expecting. Eli Pariser can explain this much better in his TED talk.

The first time I saw the APOD about dancing people, my first thought was if aliens would have something similar. So, to me today's APOD is as inspiring as many of the artistic APODs!

Flase
Brother of Ture

Post by Flase » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:40 am

Last message:
I've said my piece, perhaps with too many messages.
I do look forward to APOD pictures, so I had to vote against this one.
Why pick this Matt guy three times and not a dancing poodle or something?

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:46 am

Even though its not related to astronomy, it brought a great smile and happy feeling to me! :D
In my opinion, it is also a metaphor for astronomy in that it also trascends artficial boundaries and is something for everyone! Look with the heart as well as the eyes!

lbeckham
Ensign

Post by lbeckham » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:24 am

to quote Mr. Gerald "Little Milton" Bostock, as he wrote so long ago at the tender age of 8-years,

"Kindly state the time of the year and join your voices in a hellish chorus.
Mark the precise nature of your fear."

and I will.

i do not believe it is right to be happy in a time of war - especially a war so contrived and so unnecessary. I will not celebrate the treason of our leaders who have send our most precious treasure to their death to have young girls attacked for trying to get an education. I will not celebrate the lies and the megadeath and the lost and pain and suffer - of people i have known and loved personally.

i hate that my first post here is so "political" and so off the topic of astronomy. I love astronomy and this is one of the first sites i visit every day and i am horrified at this blatant propaganda for the war lords.

In conclusion, I will quote Mr. Bostock again:

"I really don't mind if I sit this one out"

Thrudhammer
Asternaut

Post by Thrudhammer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:31 am

The dancing doofus is off-topic, irrelevant, trite and unappreciated. There's a whole world of this claptrap out there - it's easy enough to find for those who are interested - and it's a shame to see it intruding into APOD space. Could we please be returned to our regularly scheduled program?

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 am

Yeah me and my buddies only go out dancing if we want a happy ending. That will be what this guy is after

K1NS

Post by K1NS » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:38 am

Rule One in life: Stay on topic. :|

Omegageek

Post by Omegageek » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:38 am

Even with all the references to "Planet" Earth, it is a real stretch to claim this has anything to do with astronomy. Come on, guys. Stay on topic.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:40 am

I wonder how many people read the whole thread before commenting? I'm thinking... not many.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:54 am

But...But... isn't that normal??
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

agulesin
Ensign

Post by agulesin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:03 am

"Astronomy ?? Picture ?? of the Day"

Well, I suppose as we're all descended from the same origin, and live on the same planet, we are loosely related to Astronomy, and a video is just a lot of still Pictures following each other... I'll let you off this time :roll:

Gern

Post by Gern » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:07 am

A very enjoyable video. Too bad about the clip from the US warship. Happy dancing on a weapon of mass destruction seems a bit Orwellian to me.

MaryS

Post by MaryS » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:07 am

This video made me cry. I'm sending it to all my friends;family. We are all one race in this world; no matter what some people may think. We feel the same emotions. Joy, laughter, dancing are some of these. Get back your childlike enthusiasm- the world,(cosmos), can be a wonderful experience!

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:08 am

owlice wrote:I wonder how many people read the whole thread before commenting? I'm thinking... not many.

That's what I thought, owlice: not many at all. Because then they'd realize that the video is only the 'home screen' for 24 hrs, and if they don't like it they can visit somewhere else until this time tomorrow, because then there'll be something new/different.

Personally I hope it's another 'dancing people video' just for all those internet crybabies! Maybe then they'll leave the discussion boards in peace. :-P
Forget the box, just get outside.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:36 am

Guest wrote:Yeah me and my buddies only go out dancing if we want a happy ending. That will be what this guy is after
I second that. I knew this guy once who owned a nightclub, had a room upstairs. Swee-eet!

msadesign
Asternaut

Post by msadesign » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:50 am

Thrudhammer wrote:The dancing doofus is off-topic, irrelevant, trite and unappreciated. There's a whole world of this claptrap out there - it's easy enough to find for those who are interested - and it's a shame to see it intruding into APOD space. Could we please be returned to our regularly scheduled program?
Hey! Dance–critic claptrap guy! Thanks for pointing out it has nothing to do with astronomy Who knew?

I love this clip. APOD is my first web page each day, and when I see this the rest of the day is just happy. Post it more often!

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:52 am

Yes this is a waste and people have the right to pint that out so deal with it.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:56 am

I knew when I got up this morning and saw the Happy People Dancing on the screen this thread would already be at least two pages long. Come on, people, let's work a little harder. There's gotta be a way to work climate change into this. And I think this is a perfect opportunity for Godwin's Law to make an appearance.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:03 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_dance wrote:
<<Joseph Jordania recently suggested, that dance was designed by the forces of natural selection at the early stage of hominid evolution as a potent tool to put groups of human ancestors in a battle trance, a specific altered state of consciousness. In this state hominids were losing their individual identity and were acquiring collective identity. Jonathan Pieslak's research shows, that some contemporary military units use loud group singing and dancing in order to prepare themselves for the dangerous combat missions. According to Jordania, this trance-inducing ability of dance comes from human evolutionary past and includes as well a phenomenon of military drill which is also based on shared rhythmic and monotonous group activity. One of the earliest records of dancing is by Homer, whose "Iliad"; describes chorea (χορεία). The early Greeks made the art of dancing into a system, expressive of all the different passions. For example, the dance of the Furies, so represented, would create complete terror among those who witnessed them.>>
Art Neuendorffer

FloridaMike
Science Officer

Post by FloridaMike » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:13 pm

What is NOT astronomical about it? All I see is a bunch of self organized star dust that happens to be enjoying itself.
Certainty is an emotion. So follow your spindle neurons.

Night eyes

Post by Night eyes » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:21 pm

:ssmile: Thank you so much, a surprise and delight that is obviously a popular post. High five for the Global Village, let us not forget we are all in it together.

Tszabeau

Post by Tszabeau » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Falsely colored humans.

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:56 pm

:thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up:
Forget the box, just get outside.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:16 pm

I love a change of pace once in a while; and this was very nice! :clap: :yes: :thumb_up: :wink: :eyebrows: :thumb_up: :yes:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

ljudson

Post by ljudson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:49 pm

I dislike the dancing video, and have seen it before sent by firends who liked it. I feel is is inappropriate for APOD, but even more it contains an ad for a movie embadded in it! If APOD starts featuring ads I will visit much less often.

Lou