APOD: Hunter's Moon over the Alps (2012 Nov 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Hunter's Moon over the Alps (2012 Nov 03)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:06 am

Image Hunter's Moon over the Alps

Explanation: A Full Moonset can be a dramatic celestial sight, and Full Moons can have many names. Late October's Full Moon, the second Full Moon after the northern hemisphere autumnal equinox, has been traditionally called the Hunter's Moon. According to lore, the name is a fitting one because this Full Moon lights the night during a time for hunting in preparation for the coming winter months. In this scene, last week's Hunter's Moon shines with a rich yellow light, setting as dawn comes to the Italian Alps. Topping out at over 11,000 feet, the snowy peak known as Rochemelon glows, just catching the first reddened light of the rising Sun.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

BillBixby
Science Officer

Re: APOD: Hunter's Moon over the Alps (2012 Nov 03)

Post by BillBixby » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:55 am

Beautiful. Really, really beautiful. Thank you, Stefano De Rosa.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:59 am

It is a very beautiful and striking image.

The picture provides an interesting example of reddening gradients. The mountain peak known as Rochemelon just catches the very first very reddened light of the morning Sun, so it looks completely red. The full Moon is higher in the sky, so it doesn't look red. But it is still pretty low in the sky, so it doesn't sport its usual white or grayish white look, either. Instead it looks like a bowl of oranges and lemons.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:16 pm

Very nice! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Jas

Post by Jas » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Nice shot, but...the red mountains look a bit too vivid. I'm guessing a #15 (dark yellow) up to a Wratten #23A (Light Red) filter were used to give us our "Hunter's" moon affect this time around.

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:58 pm

It is a beautiful picture today. Intoxicating Moon shine… reflecting the morning Sun. The mountain peak seems to be reacting to the Moon’s tug in sleepy rebellion.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

LocalColor
Science Officer

Post by LocalColor » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:28 pm

Beautiful - thank you!

StarGrizzly
Asternaut

Post by StarGrizzly » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:11 pm

It is great to see your work, once more, an image so beautiful! :ssmile:

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Wow, I love this APOD!

Beyond, repeat after me: This APOD with a lovely and enchanting Moon makes me truly happy and I will print it to hang it on my wall so I can watch it and be delighted every day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Moonlady wrote:Wow, I love this APOD!

Beyond, repeat after me: This APOD with a lovely and enchanting Moon makes me truly happy and I will print it to hang it on my wall so I can watch it and be delighted every day!
AhOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (best wolf-howl i can type)
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ally

Post by Ally » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:44 pm

I was inspired by the picture to find out more about Rochemelon (Rocciamelone in Italian). It was first climbed in 1358 by Bonifacio Rotarius. This is the earliest recorded ascent of a significant peak and predates the ascent of most major alpine peaks by a cool 400-500 years! Although it must have been a serious undertaking at the time , the Rochemelon trailhead is now a mere 2 hours drive from Torino airport and the ascent of the mountain from that side is regarded as easy by alpine mountaineering standards.
I have a tentative plan to climb it with a friend during a long weekend ie leaving my desk in Aberdeen, Scotland at 5pm on Thursday evening and being back at my desk by 8:30am Tuesday. I won't mention what I've been up to over the holiday weekend unless somebody asks.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Ally wrote:I was inspired by the picture to find out more about Rochemelon (Rocciamelone in Italian). It was first climbed in 1358 by Bonifacio Rotarius. This is the earliest recorded ascent of a significant peak and predates the ascent of most major alpine peaks by a cool 400-500 years! Although it must have been a serious undertaking at the time , the Rochemelon trailhead is now a mere 2 hours drive from Torino airport and the ascent of the mountain from that side is regarded as easy by alpine mountaineering standards.
I have a tentative plan to climb it with a friend during a long weekend ie leaving my desk in Aberdeen, Scotland at 5pm on Thursday evening and being back at my desk by 8:30am Tuesday. I won't mention what I've been up to over the holiday weekend unless somebody asks.
Ok, what cha been up to over the holiday(??) weekend, Ally?
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

fausto.lubatti
Ensign

Post by fausto.lubatti » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:27 am

Very nice picture: thanks Stefano for sharing!