APOD: Lenticular Clouds Over Washington (2012 Nov 04)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
ta152h0
Schooled

Re: APOD: Lenticular Clouds Over Washington (2012 Nov 04)

Post by ta152h0 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:50 am

Winds passing thru a mountain means you are standing on Jupiter
Wolf Kotenberg

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:58 am

ta152h0 wrote:Winds passing thru a mountain means you are standing on Jupiter
Are you sure -standing- is the right word :?: IF there's anything left of you, i should think -orbiting- would be a better description. :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:29 am

neufer wrote:Lenticular clouds are stationary and are a consequence of air passing over a mountain.
Are sometimes a consequence of air passing over a mountain (or more commonly, a mountain range). Lenticular clouds form by other mechanisms, as well.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:22 am

Jetstream ?
Wolf Kotenberg

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:21 am

Beyond wrote:
quigley wrote:Okay, boys and girls. The APOD staff does a terrific job of bringing us interesting stuff each and every day. Even if it's a repeat, the marvels portrayed are worth another look. I'm saddened when I see the thread of posts reading like an episode of the Big Bang Theory TV show. Let's keep it civil...k?
I don't watch much TV at all, so i take it that on the show you mentioned, they all gripe-bitch-moan and complain a lot?
You are not allowed to say bitch :shock: , bad word! :P oh, I did it too....

I think, if you recognize this picture which was published before: BE PROUD OF YOUR MEMORY ABILITY! There are people having hard time because of dementia.

I saw this picture somewhere else and I was like: WOW! And I thought, what would happen next? Would the clouds go away or will they turn to be twisters and touch
the ground?

RedFishBlueFish
Science Officer

Post by RedFishBlueFish » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:15 pm

em53x_B wrote:Could these lenticular cloud formations be caused or influenced by a Von Karman vortex street ...
If one actually knows what a von Kármán vortex street is (as I pilot, I do) then one would know the answer to the 'question.'

I, for one, take this 'question' as a sophomoric attempt to demonstrate superior knowledge, simply to elicit the response: "OH. So smart!" An actual question would have defined the term for those who may not be familiar with it (I adduce my above use of 'lahar,' q.v.)

A von Kármán vortex street is a form of wave turbulence which appears downwind of a roughly cylindrical body as the wind swirls around first from one side, then from the other. It is why telephone wires sing in the wind.

So, to answer your 'question' lennies are not a result of von Kármán vortex streets.