APOD: Makemake of the Outer Solar System (2012 Dec 26)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6877
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Makemake of the Outer Solar System (2012 Dec 26)

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:48 pm

geckzilla wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:If you want; but I don't see where you think I'm combining apples and oranges. So you might classify the big 4; the little 4 and the dwarfs; and pretty soon you have all kinds of classifications to worry about. Sure the differences are there; but if you want to get picky each and every planet is different; so you could have all kind of different objects to classify! Why not just say planets; and if you talk about a particular one you can tell about it's properties! 8-)
I'm simply applying the same anthropomorphism to fruits as you are to the planets. I wouldn't want to offend them by pointing out their differences and labeling them accordingly.
Sigh! :roll: You're in an argumentative mood today! I see your point; but you aren't seeing my point. When Pluto was called a planet; it was a planet! Then people started finding other planets in the outer Solar system and all of a sudden Pluto got degraded! All because of one man's whim! I cry; No fair! You cry Yaa! Well I'd rather go with "small" planet or little planet! To me dwarf is so degrading! I take no offence with your beliefs though as you are welcome to them! Oh; by the way; if you classify fruits; than apples would be Jonathan; Red Delicious; Yellow Delicious; Pink Lady; Granny Smiths; etc.; etc. :wink: Now I hope we can be friends with our different beliefs! :)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: Makemake of the Outer Solar System (2012 Dec 26)

Post by Beyond » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:02 pm

You guys are getting to be rather fruity. Now, the Asterisk* has an orchard. The question is: is it a regular orchard, or a dwarf orchard :?: :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16174
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Makemake of the Outer Solar System (2012 Dec 26)

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:16 am

geckzilla wrote:Well, then, I suppose you should stop classifying any object. Henceforth we shall not distinguish oranges from apples and all will be known simply as fruits.
But of course, that describes our classification of Solar System objects (and now, extrasolar objects) very well. We have dozens or hundreds of planets circling the Sun, and they are finely classified- terrestrial planets, gas giant planets, dwarf planets, asteroidal planets, etc. Just because we have apples and oranges doesn't mean we don't have fruit, and just because we have gas giants and dwarf planets doesn't mean we don't have planets.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9158
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Makemake of the Outer Solar System (2012 Dec 26)

Post by geckzilla » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:27 am

orin stepanek wrote:Sigh! :roll: You're in an argumentative mood today! I see your point; but you aren't seeing my point. When Pluto was called a planet; it was a planet! Then people started finding other planets in the outer Solar system and all of a sudden Pluto got degraded! All because of one man's whim! I cry; No fair! You cry Yaa! Well I'd rather go with "small" planet or little planet! To me dwarf is so degrading! I take no offence with your beliefs though as you are welcome to them! Oh; by the way; if you classify fruits; than apples would be Jonathan; Red Delicious; Yellow Delicious; Pink Lady; Granny Smiths; etc.; etc. :wink: Now I hope we can be friends with our different beliefs! :)
I'm not quite sure you really do see my point. See Chris's post above this one. My issue with your stance is that you feel Pluto was degraded. You are also taking offense at the term "dwarf" when neither degradation nor offense was intended. You are anthropomorphizing the classification system.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 20780
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: APOD: Makemake of the Outer Solar System (2012 Dec 26)

Post by bystander » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:49 am

orin stepanek wrote: All because of one man's whim!
I'm curious, what one person do you blame for the reclassification?
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

bay area john

Re: APOD: Makemake of the Outer Solar System (2012 Dec 26)

Post by bay area john » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:21 am

So we see that many planets have moons. Do any MOONS have moons, or what would their satellites be called if they had them?

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6877
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Makemake of the Outer Solar System (2012 Dec 26)

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:47 am

Having trouble posting! :oops:
Last edited by orin stepanek on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6877
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Makemake of the Outer Solar System (2012 Dec 26)

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:54 am

bystander wrote:
orin stepanek wrote: All because of one man's whim!
I'm curious, what one person do you blame for the reclassification?
That was back about in 2006! I don't remember how it all got started; but it led to the reclassification of planets!
Sorry everyone! I seem to have remembered everything wrong! :oops: going back in time to find answer to bystander's question I found this; What got me riled in the first place was losing Pluto as a planet! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14489259/ns ... er-planet/
It appeared that after Pluto lost it's Planetary status it got reinstated as a dwarf! While I still don't like the term dwarf; I will abide by it! Can I call it a small planet! :? Geckzilla; you got a crow eating smiley!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9158
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: APOD: Makemake of the Outer Solar System (2012 Dec 26)

Post by geckzilla » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:22 am

Pluto never lost its status as a planet. The media and a few scientists just made a circus out of it.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Guest

Re: APOD: Makemake of the Outer Solar System (2012 Dec 26)

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:00 am

henrystar wrote:The FIRST words of the caption should be "artist's illustration."
I agree. I read the first few lines, incredulous of how they could image the damn thing. And so, I barely understood the lines, the first time I read them.

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6877
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Makemake of the Outer Solar System (2012 Dec 26)

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:31 pm

bystander wrote:
orin stepanek wrote: All because of one man's whim!
I'm curious, what one person do you blame for the reclassification?
geckzilla wrote:Pluto never lost its status as a planet. The media and a few scientists just made a circus out of it.
To clear up my own confusion; I did some research and came up with this!
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
I guess i remembered old press releases more so than the astronomers! Anyway; I'm at peace with it all now! 8-) :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!