APOD: Curiosity Self Portrait Panorama (2013 Feb 22)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Curiosity Self Portrait Panorama (2013 Feb 22)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:09 am

Image Curiosity Self Portrait Panorama

Explanation: This remarkable self-portrait of NASA's Mars Curiosity Rover includes a sweeping panoramic view of its current location in the Yellowknife Bay region of the Red Planet's Gale Crater. The rover's flat, rocky perch, known as "John Klein", served as the site for Curiosity's first rock drilling activity. At the foot of the proud looking rover, a shallow drill test hole and a sample collection hole are 1.6 centimeters in diameter. The impressive mosaic was constructed using frames from the rover's Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) and Mastcam. Used to take in the panoramic landscape frames, the Mastcam is standing high above the rover's deck. But MAHLI, intended for close-up work, is mounted at the end of the rover's robotic arm. The MAHLI frames used to create Curiosity's self-portrait exclude sections that show the arm itself and so MAHLI and the robotic arm are not seen. Check out this spectacular interactive version of Curiosity's self-portrait panorama.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

agulesin
Ensign

Re: APOD: Curiosity Self Portrait Panorama (2013 Feb 22)

Post by agulesin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:00 am

Hi guys!

Judging by the lack of comments on today's APOD there's more than one wrong link on the page!

The previous, next (<,>) and Discuss links are all left over from yesterday's APOD. Or do I have a problem with my browser? :-))

Best wishes, and thanks for the great self portrait of "Curosity".

Abdullah Eyles,
Ankara, Türkiye

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:24 am

Like Abdullah Eyles pointed out, if you click on the "Discuss" link of today's APOD, you are sent to the discussion forum of another APOD instead.

Today's APOD is nice and interesting. I couldn't help thinking to myself, however - wow, fancy that, a misty day on Mars! :D :wink:

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:30 am

Poor Curiosity! :cry:

All that effort to make that wonderful self-portrait and no-one (apart from myself and Abdullah - Hi, Abdullah :thumb_up: ) seems to be taking any notice of it!

Margarita

Oh - and Ann, too :!:
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:36 am

Ann wrote: Today's APOD is nice and interesting. I couldn't help thinking to myself, however - wow, fancy that, a misty day on Mars! :D :wink:

Ann
What is the light in the sky? Surely not the Sun??!

And, what causes the mist? I hadn't played attention properly, so hadn't taken that in.

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:48 am

Thanks for the notes about the errant links; the editors have been informed.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:28 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:
Ann wrote: Today's APOD is nice and interesting. I couldn't help thinking to myself, however - wow, fancy that, a misty day on Mars! :D :wink:

Ann
What is the light in the sky? Surely not the Sun??!

And, what causes the mist? I hadn't played attention properly, so hadn't taken that in.

Margarita
The winds of Mars sometimes pick up fine sand and dust. Note how the exposed bedrock Curiousity is parked on has a sand-blasted look to it. Also, note the sand dunes at the base of mount Sharp. So it's not mist in the air, it's dust, and yes Margarita, that light in the sky would have to be the sun.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Don't fail to check out the explanation's last link y'all. It's the next best thing to actually being there!

The dunes I mentioned above are hard to see, but they're in or near the dark, lowest terrain which the rover will need to cross on the way to mount Sharp.

Ok already. Now that all systems are go, get going please! Get this rover rovin, yee haw!

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:14 pm

splendid and very evocative!

Kazak

Post by Kazak » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:15 pm

Interesting to note how the sun appears smaller in the sky from Mars, as it clearly would, or maybe it's just a trick of the camera.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Didn't we have a self portrait of Curiosity a while back??? :?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:02 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Didn't we have a self portrait of Curiosity a while back??? :?
Yes... but this one's a lot better :!:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

aldenrw

Post by aldenrw » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Curiousity's acting just like my teenage daughter -- taking pictures of itself and posting them on the web. YES, WE KNOW YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL. NOW GET TO SCHOOL. :-)

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:59 pm

aldenrw wrote:Curiousity's acting just like my teenage daughter -- taking pictures of itself and posting them on the web. YES, WE KNOW YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL. NOW GET TO SCHOOL. :-)
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Stuart Coutts

Post by Stuart Coutts » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:13 pm

I was wondering if the sun is visable in the picture and its as low as it is, why are the shadows pointing towards the sun and so short?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Stuart Coutts wrote:I was wondering if the sun is visable in the picture and its as low as it is, why are the shadows pointing towards the sun and so short?
A panorama like this, mapped to a 2D image, completely destroys most of our intuitive sense of the actual geometry. The Sun may be very high in the sky here, and you'd expect shadows to be pointing in all directions- especially considering that the images that were ultimately stitched together were taken over an extended time period.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:11 pm

Kazak wrote:Interesting to note how the sun appears smaller in the sky from Mars, as it clearly would, or maybe it's just a trick of the camera.
You are right. The Sun does look smaller from Mars.

I agree with Guest, who described this image as splendid and evocative. There is a truly desolate, poignant splendor about it.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:22 pm

Ann wrote:
Kazak wrote:Interesting to note how the sun appears smaller in the sky from Mars, as it clearly would, or maybe it's just a trick of the camera.
You are right. The Sun does look smaller from Mars.
Of course, being farther away from the Sun will make it look smaller. But we can't see anything in this image that shows this. There are no scale references, and I'm not even certain we're seeing the true disc of the Sun, just the region around the Sun bright enough to saturate the pixels of the camera.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:40 pm

as Mr Peterson wrote

" A panorama like this, mapped to a 2D image, completely destroys most of our intuitive sense of the actual geometry. "

you should get a ride on a vehicle going at the speed of light as shown on a long ago APOD. Hard to get a grip on what is happening to actual geometry
Wolf Kotenberg

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:43 pm

“Curiosity’s first drilling” shows a picture of the drilled material in its holder right out in the sun. I thought the idea of drilling was to get to material possibly protected from solar radiation :?:
Make Mars not Wars

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:25 am

Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:“Curiosity’s first drilling” shows a picture of the drilled material in its holder right out in the sun. I thought the idea of drilling was to get to material possibly protected from solar radiation :?:
Actually, that is true, since scientists think that solar radiation may kill organic molecules on the surface. But it is the first time that Curiosity has drilled on the surface of Mars, so why not take a picture of the event? Of course, the data may be altered, but Curiosity is likely to drill on Mars again several more times, take samples, and get accurate data (if the data weren't accurate enough).
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:05 pm

Playing with the interactive panorama is the closest I've ever come to standing on another planet. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up, and I heard "Also Sprach Zarathusra" rumbling in the distance. The drill holes at Curiosity's feet (er, wheels) are particularly evocative -- humanity's first finely controlled, intentional mark on another planet. With the addition of a straight line and a few curves, Kilroy would be there!
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:20 am

That Kilroy sure gets around, doesn't he :?: :lol2: