APOD: Chelyabinsk Meteor Flash (2013 Feb 23)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: APOD: Chelyabinsk Meteor Flash (2013 Feb 23)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Stendec wrote:Apparently the folks in Chelyabinsk are quite fortunate that the meteor did not explode at an altitude lower than 12 - 18 miles (20 - 30 Kilometers). The explosive force of 500 kilotons is very much more powerful than the bombs which fell on Hiroshima (16 kilotons) and Nagasaki (21 kilotons) - - 31.25 times and 23.81 times more powerful, respectively. The bombs exploded less than half a mile above the ground (Hiroshima - detonation height about 1,968 feet; Nagasaki - detonation height about 1,539 feet). For comparison, look at the before and after pictures of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and then do some mental extrapolation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bom ... d_Nagasaki
:!:
Fortunately, a stony body of this mass can probably never make it much below where it actually did explode. It would take a much larger mass, which would both release more energy and do so lower. Double whammy. However, objects with larger mass are also rarer.

I suspect that thousands of people around Chelyabinsk have died from diseases related to the sloppy handling of radioactive materials, yet a few people in the hospital for glass cuts is what makes the big headlines. But that's the way things work, I guess.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:10 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
I suspect that thousands of people around Chelyabinsk have died from diseases related to the sloppy handling of radioactive materials, yet a few people in the hospital for glass cuts is what makes the big headlines. But that's the way things work, I guess.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:37 pm

STAY OUT OF RUSSIA!!
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

SJoe
Ensign

Post by SJoe » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:27 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoDcjs6q4c8

Russian Reaction To Meteorite :D

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:12 pm

SJoe wrote:

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:39 pm

neufer wrote:
SJoe wrote:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Once when I was out jogging (back when I used to do that kind of thing) I ran straight into a moose, almost. Well, there was still about five meters between me and the moose, I guess. My first reaction was: I've run straight into the shooting of a wildlife TV show! Where's the impressive music?"

I guess the Russian guy also thought he was watching something from TV.

To be fair to the man from Russia, the casualties of the Chelyabinsk meteor were nowhere near as serious as the casualties of the Hindenburg disaster. So he had no obvious reason to cry out, "Oh the humanity!"

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:52 am

Ann wrote:
Once when I was out jogging (back when I used to do that kind of thing) I ran straight into a moose, almost. Well, there was still about five meters between me and the moose, I guess. My first reaction was: I've run straight into the shooting of a wildlife TV show! Where's the impressive music?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose wrote:

<<The moose or Eurasian elk (Europe) (Alces alces) is the largest extant species in the deer family. Like any wild animal, moose are unpredictable and should be given a respectful amount of space. They are most likely to attack if annoyed or harassed, or if their "personal space" has been encroached upon. Moose that have been harassed may vent their anger on unwary victims, and often do not make distinctions between their tormentors and innocent passers-by. Moose are very limber animals with highly flexible joints and sharp, pointed hooves, and are capable of kicking with both front and back legs. Unlike other large, hooved mammals, such as horses, moose can kick in all directions including sideways. Therefore, there is no safe side from which to approach. However, moose often give warning signs prior to attacking, displaying their aggression by means of body language. The maintaining of eye contact is usually the first sign of aggression, while laid-back ears or a lowered head is a definite sign of agitation. If the hairs on the back of the moose's neck and shoulders (hackles) stand up, a charge is usually imminent.>>
Art Neuendorffer

ddorn777
Ensign

Post by ddorn777 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:09 pm

Cool picture, and great narrative from the photographer. Quite exciting!

I once saw a small bolide as a teenager, and it was definitely a moving experience. I can't imagine seeing something "brighter than the sun."

Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

-is

Post by -is » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:17 pm

flamencoprof wrote:May I suggest that "500 kilotons of energy " should read "energy equivalent to 500 kilotons of TNT"?
Exactly.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:43 pm

-is wrote:
flamencoprof wrote:May I suggest that "500 kilotons of energy " should read "energy equivalent to 500 kilotons of TNT"?
Exactly.
A unit of energy equal to 4.184 x 1012 joules is called a kiloton of TNT, and is formally abbreviated "kt" and almost always simply referenced as "kiloton" whenever the context makes it clear that energy is under discussion.

It is not generally necessary to qualify the unit with a reference to TNT.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
A unit of energy equal to 4.184 x 1012 joules is called a kiloton of TNT, and is formally abbreviated "kt" and almost always simply referenced as "kiloton" whenever the context makes it clear that energy is under discussion.

So why can't they list the calorie count of desserts in "energy units" :?:

Dietary calorie or food calorie = 4.184 kilojoules = a gram of TNT = a nano unit of energy
Art Neuendorffer

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:01 pm

neufer wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:

So why can't they list the calorie count of desserts in "energy units" :?:

Dietary calorie or food calorie = 4.184 kilojoules = a gram of TNT = a nano unit of energy
A food calorie is a kilo-calorie, according to the bible (slimming world)

Does that mean that, on my 1500 kilo-calorie per day regime, I consume the energy equivalent of 1.5kg of TNT? :!: :shock:

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 05#p193992
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:15 am

MargaritaMc wrote:
neufer wrote:
A food calorie is a kilo-calorie, according to the bible (slimming world)

Does that mean that, on my 1500 kilo-calorie per day regime, I consume the energy equivalent of 1.5kg of TNT? :!: :shock:

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 05#p193992
Just don't play with matches (or refer to bibles, for that matter).
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:26 am

MargaritaMc wrote:Does that mean that, on my 1500 kilo-calorie per day regime, I consume the energy equivalent of 1.5kg of TNT?
Yes, although I recommend consuming that energy in the form of caramel fudge ice cream as opposed to eating a brick of TNT.

(While 1.5 kg of TNT does seem very energetic, that is an illusion of the rate at which it releases that energy to heat- a few milliseconds. Stretch that same amount of energy over 24 hours- say 20 or 30 million times longer- and it's not so impressive. Indeed, it works out to a continuous power dissipation of a mere 72 watts, which is right around the average basal metabolic rate.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

ErnieM
Science Officer

Post by ErnieM » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:12 pm

From NASA Near Earth Object Program
Was the Chelyabinsk Fireball Related to the Close Approach of Asteroid 2012 DA14?

Asteroid 2012 DA14 made a very close flyby of the Earth just over 16 hours after the Russian fireball event, passing within 27,700 km (17,200 miles) of the Earth's surface, but there is no connection whatever between these two events. First of all, the two objects approached the Earth from completely different directions, and had entirely different orbits about the Sun. A custom version of the JPL orbit display applet has been created to show the orbits of the Chelyabinsk impactor and 2012 DA14 at the same time:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/orbits/2012da14.html

A second reason we know the two asteroids approaching Earth on Feb. 15 were unrelated is their disparate compositions. Telescopic spectral data do not support any physical connection between asteroid 2012 DA14 and Chelyabinsk meteorites. Nicholas Moskovitz and Richard Binzel (MIT) report 2012 DA14 displays spectral colors which suggest a carbon dominated composition similar to CO or CV carbonaceous chondrite meteorites with abundant calcium- and aluminum-rich inclusions. On the other hand, meteorite fragments being recovered from the fireball event are reported as silicate-rich ordinary chondrites; a completely different and unrelated class of meteorites. About 80% of all meteorite falls are in the ordinary chondrite category.
Just trying to see if there was any link between Feb 17 APOD and Feb 23 APOD. Very neat to see the orbits displayed by the applet.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:45 pm

Radar sees meteor crater under Russia lake.
Radar-sees-meteor-crater-under-Russia-lake.jpg
http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2013/03 ... t=mps&or=5
There are other links scattered about the page also.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.