APOD: Sharp Stereo (2013 Apr 27)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Sharp Stereo (2013 Apr 27)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:06 am

Image Sharp Stereo

Explanation: Get out your red/blue glasses and gaze across the floor of Gale crater on Mars. From your vantage point on the deck of the Curiosity Rover Mount Sharp, the crater's 5 kilometer high central mountain looms over the southern horizon. Poised in the foreground is the rover's robotic arm with tool turret extended toward the flat veined patch of martian surface dubbed "John Klein". A complete version of the stereo view spans 360 degrees, digitally stitched together from the rover's left and right navigation camera frames taken in late January. The layered lower slopes of Mount Sharp, formally known as Aeolis Mons, are a future destination for Curiosity.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Sinan İpek
Ensign

Re: APOD: Sharp Stereo (2013 Apr 27)

Post by Sinan İpek » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:06 am

I've always wondered why is the Martian sky not blue? I thought the color came from the scattering of shortwave light, cause it scatters far more than longer wave light. Why doesn't the same conclusion apply to Mars? Is the atmospheric composition defines the color? Or is it for the dust? I think Martian atmsphere has a lot of dust, hence the pinkish color of it.

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:43 am

Sinan İpek wrote:I've always wondered why is the Martian sky not blue? Is it for the dust?
The website of the National Center for Theoretical Sciences of Taiwan has an answer for exactly that question:
Physics FAQ wrote:Why is the Mars sky red?
Images sent back from the Viking Mars landers in 1977 and from Pathfinder in 1997 showed a red sky seen from the Martian surface. This was due to red iron-rich dusts thrown up in the dust storms occurring from time to time on Mars. The colour of the Mars sky will change according to weather conditions. It should be blue when there have been no recent storms, but it will be darker than the earth's daytime sky because of Mars' thinner atmosphere.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:44 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:35 pm

I felt a bit of a loss with today's Apod. No stereo glasses. No immediate source of red and cyan plastic nor card nor a printer available to print out the template for the glasses - that all as per instructions from the link on the text - even if I could get hold of the component parts.

So I looked at the photo. I squinted, to see if that made a difference. (It did, it made it blurred.)

Hey Ho.
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:37 pm

MargaritaMc wrote: even if I could get hold of the component parts.
APOD Robot wrote: A complete version of the stereo view
Image Image
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:51 pm

bystander wrote:
MargaritaMc wrote: even if I could get hold of the component parts.
APOD Robot wrote: A complete version of the stereo view
Image Image
I really don't want to install a .tif viewer on my Android at the moment.
But thanks for posting the images, as I can view them OK here.
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:16 pm

It is not stereo...it is 3D....Stereo is TWO PICTURES side by side, and you need a "Stereo Viewer", or you can cross your eyes to see the 3D effect...This is STRAIGHT 3D... But sitting back with my 3D GLASSES, I could see good depth...can't wait to see it with my projector!!!! :D

Well, with the projector, there was too much separation with the left eye...so not as good as on the computer monitor :(

:---[===] *

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:28 pm

I take it that I'm a bit strange, in a 3-D sense. All the 3-D glasses do for me, is make it harder to see the rover clearly. There's only been a couple of 3-D pictures where part of the picture comes off the screen, or depth to the picture appears. Other than that, i give 3-D a Big :P. Here's a sheet of Bounty to wipe up the slobber. :lol2: ::Bounty::
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:43 am

I have a good set of 3D (anaglyph) glasses, and they usually give me a good view of these sorts of images. But this image didn't work very well with them. The landscape had excellent depth, but the rover remained two distinct and overlapping images which wouldn't combine no matter how I varied my position in relation to the screen.

Rob

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:51 am

rstevenson wrote:I have a good set of 3D (anaglyph) glasses, and they usually give me a good view of these sorts of images. But this image didn't work very well with them. The landscape had excellent depth, but the rover remained two distinct and overlapping images which wouldn't combine no matter how I varied my position in relation to the screen.
Same here. The landscape is awesome, but I could't combine left and right into a single view for the rover in the foreground.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:34 am

Boomer12k wrote:It is not stereo...it is 3D.
Actually, it would be more accurate to say this is stereo, not true 3D. It is stereo because it is a very limited 3D view constructed from an image pair (it doesn't matter how the images are presented, whether an anaglyph, stereo pair, or some other approach to split the two images between your two eyes). A true 3D representation would allow you to see behind something by moving your point of view, as you can do with a hologram or true 3D virtual reality display. This is just simple stereo.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Boomer12k wrote:
It is not stereo...it is 3D.
Actually, it would be more accurate to say this is stereo, not true 3D. It is stereo because it is a very limited 3D view constructed from an image pair (it doesn't matter how the images are presented, whether an anaglyph, stereo pair, or some other approach to split the two images between your two eyes). A true 3D representation would allow you to see behind something by moving your point of view, as you can do with a hologram or true 3D virtual reality display. This is just simple stereo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscopic wrote:
<<Stereoscopy (also called stereoscopics or 3D imaging) is a technique for creating or enhancing the illusion of depth in an image by means of stereopsis for binocular vision. The word stereoscopy derives from the Greek "στερεός" (stereos), "firm, solid" + "σκοπέω" (skopeō), "to look", "to see". Most stereoscopic methods present two offset images separately to the left and right eye of the viewer. These two-dimensional images are then combined in the brain to give the perception of 3D depth. This technique is distinguished from 3D displays that display an image in three full dimensions, allowing the observer to increase information about the 3-dimensional objects being displayed by head and eye movements. The word stereophonic derives from the Greek "στερεός" (stereos), "firm, solid" + "φωνή" (phōnē), "sound, tone, voice" and it was coined in 1927 by Western Electric, by analogy with the word "stereoscopic".>>
Art Neuendorffer

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:09 am

"A complete version of the stereo view spans 360 degrees, digitally stitched together from the rover's left and right navigation camera frames taken in late January"

Wow! How do they do that?
A stereo is made of two views, from two cameras or one displaced horizontally by a short distance, to simulate the two views from either eye.
In this case two.
Rotate the cameras to obtain part of a 360, and they are displaced by another distance. And, the camera that took the left eye view is now taking the right eye's view. And so on.
How are they stitched together?

JOhn