strange sight in AZ

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
azbroncolvr
Asternaut

strange sight in AZ

Post by azbroncolvr » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:11 pm

Last night around 11pm Arizona time I saw the strangest thing. At first I thought it was a bright star but it was orange. I then assumed it was an airplane but it wasn't moving. Then as I was watching it a piece of it fell from it and it glowed orange until about half way to the Earth. I ran inside and got my husband to see if he could figure out what it was and then once again after watching it a couple seconds another piece came off it and stopping glowing ornage about half way to Earth. I checked the news this morning and of course nothing. My husband said maybe a hot air balloon caught on fire but I don't think they go up at night do they? It was a very cloudy night and the glow came from in front of the clouds so I know it wasn't very high in the sky. Any ideas?

Hotbutteredraisinbread

Re: strange sight in AZ

Post by Hotbutteredraisinbread » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:39 pm

azbroncolvr wrote:Last night around 11pm Arizona time I saw the strangest thing. At first I thought it was a bright star but it was orange. I then assumed it was an airplane but it wasn't moving. Then as I was watching it a piece of it fell from it and it glowed orange until about half way to the Earth. I ran inside and got my husband to see if he could figure out what it was and then once again after watching it a couple seconds another piece came off it and stopping glowing ornage about half way to Earth. I checked the news this morning and of course nothing. My husband said maybe a hot air balloon caught on fire but I don't think they go up at night do they? It was a very cloudy night and the glow came from in front of the clouds so I know it wasn't very high in the sky. Any ideas?
I believe it was what was left of the comair flight scheduling computer.
Probably an IMac given the orange colour.

conspiracytheorist

Post by conspiracytheorist » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:10 pm

Everyone’s ready for the new Roswell? :roll: 8)

ngc1535

Flares

Post by ngc1535 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:09 am

Hi,

In Arizona the millitary (air force) is often flying around
and doing excercises. They regularily use flares that look
exactly as you describe. I suspect this is what you saw.

Karl

I've seen the same thing

Post by Karl » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:39 am

I saw the same thing in Montgomery, AL (near Maxwell AFB, home of Officer Training School) a long time ago. Just as you described.