APOD: Galaxy Cove Vista (2013 May 07)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Galaxy Cove Vista (2013 May 07)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue May 07, 2013 4:06 am

Image Galaxy Cove Vista

Explanation: To see a vista like this takes patience, hiking, and a camera. Patience was needed in searching out just the right place and waiting for just the right time. A short hike was needed to reach this rugged perch above a secluded cove in Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park in California, USA. And a camera was needed for the long exposure required to bring out the faint light from stars and nebula in the background Milky Way galaxy. Moonlight and a brief artificial flash illuminated the hidden beach and inlet behind nearby trees in the above composite image taken about two weeks ago. Usually obscured McWay Falls is visible just below the image center, while the Pacific Ocean is in view to its right.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: APOD: Galaxy Cove Vista (2013 May 07)

Post by Beyond » Tue May 07, 2013 4:11 am

Nice picture! And those goats on the dam face look very familiar. :yes:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue May 07, 2013 5:11 am

It's a very beautiful picture, indeed. I'm glad to see Rogelio here again.

And like Beyond, I'm happy to see the goats again - and the patient bear, too! :D

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Tue May 07, 2013 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue May 07, 2013 5:13 am

I'm glad that I don't believe in Rock Trolls. :D
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue May 07, 2013 5:14 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Tue May 07, 2013 6:48 am

Nice photo...lots of depth, and interesting points...

:---[===] *

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:07 am

Interesting. This image has some interesting things.

mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Post by mjimih » Tue May 07, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm always looking for the perfect desktop picture. This one is perfect to use for a long while and not get tired of it. I use transparent windows often and need darkness with no large bright areas. I love astronomy and hidden lagoons and waterfalls and the milky way. Ooh man this photo is fabulous.
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

I liked today's APOD! Very neat! 8-)
neufer wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
I liked Contact also; but was a little disappointed in the ending!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue May 07, 2013 3:26 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
I liked today's APOD! Very neat! 8-)

I liked Contact also; but was a little disappointed in the ending!
You're just Jossing; right? (18 hours of static would probably be as hard to fake as crop circles :!: )
Art Neuendorffer

LocalColor
Science Officer

Post by LocalColor » Tue May 07, 2013 3:34 pm

Very nice, thank you Rogelio.

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Tue May 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Beautiful photo! I love Big Sur and the Milky Way, so a picture of both is a treat.

If I'm not mistaken, the bright red star to the upper right of center is Antares. In the bottom of the Milky Way, just above the waterfall, are the stinger stars, Upsilon and Lambda Scorpii. To the left of the stinger, Ptolemy's cluster, M7. Left of center, at the same altitude as Antares, the great Sagittarius star cloud, M24. And lots of other clusters and nebulae.

One question: there seems to be moonlight coming from the West / right side of the image. Rogelio's website says the picture was taken on April 20, 2013 at 4:00 am, but the Moon had already set by then. Perhaps the light is coming from something other than the Moon, or the date or time are wrong. If that is moonlight, I'm surprised Rogelio was able to get such a good picture of the Milky Way on a night when there was a waxing gibbous Moon.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue May 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Anthony Barreiro wrote:
One question: there seems to be moonlight coming from the West / right side of the image. Rogelio's website says the picture was taken on April 20, 2013 at 4:00 am, but the Moon had already set by then. Perhaps the light is coming from something other than the Moon, or the date or time are wrong. If that is moonlight, I'm surprised Rogelio was able to get such a good picture of the Milky Way on a night when there was a waxing gibbous Moon.
It is a composite image.
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

McWay for Dumplings

Post by neufer » Tue May 07, 2013 8:08 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McWay_Falls wrote:
<<McWay Falls is an 80-foot waterfall located in Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park that flows year-round. This waterfall is one of only two in the region that are close enough to the ocean to be referred to as "tidefalls". Originally the waterfall cascaded directly into the ocean but after a 1983 fire and 1985 landslides, the topography of McWay Cove was altered, forming an inaccessible beach. The waterfall now meets the ocean when the tide is in. On the edge of McWay Creek is a small building which houses a Pelton wheel, with signs that provide historical facts. Christopher McWay homesteaded the canyon in the late 1870s and eventually McWay's Saddle Rock Ranch was sold in the 1920s to Lathrop Brown, who built two houses at Waterfall Overlook. Although a detailed history of the falls has yet to be found, walking the creek from the highway culvert to the falls indicates that the last portion of the channel to the lip of the falls is artificial. It appears that the natural creek channel was along the lower declivity to the north (left) of the falls, which would have made a lower and less vertical cascade to the water in the cove. It appears that the re-routing of the creek to the present fall site was among the landscape changes made by the Browns in the building of the Waterfall House and grounds.>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_%28novel%29 wrote:
<<Carl Sagan (November 9, 1934 – December 20, 1996) named his 1985 novel's protagonist, Eleanor Arroway, after: Eleanor Roosevelt and Voltaire, (whose last name was Arouet).>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltaire wrote:
<<François-Marie Arouet (21 November 1694 – 30 May 1778), known by his nom de plume Voltaire, was a French Enlightenment writer, historian and philosopher famous for his wit, his attacks on the established Catholic Church, and his advocacy of freedom of religion, freedom of expression, and separation of church and state. Voltaire was a versatile writer, producing works in almost every literary form, including plays, poems, novels, essays, and historical and scientific works.

François-Marie Arouet was born in Paris, the youngest of the five children of François Arouet (1650 – 1 January 1722) and his wife, Marie Marguerite d'Aumart (ca. 1660 – 13 July 1701), from a noble family of the province of Poitou. The name "VOLTAIRE", which the author adopted in 1718, is an anagram of "AROVET LI," the Latinized spelling of his surname, Arouet, and the initial letters of "le jeune" ("the young"). The name also echoes in reverse order the syllables of the name of a family château in the Poitou region: "Airvault". The adoption of the name "Voltaire" following his incarceration at the Bastille is seen by many to mark Voltaire's formal separation from his family and his past. "Arouet" was not a noble name fit for his growing reputation, especially given that name's resonance with "à rouer" ("to be broken on the wheel" – a form of torture then still prevalent) and "roué" ("a debauched or lecherous person").

Richard Holmes adds that a writer such as Voltaire would have intended it to also convey its connotations of speed and daring. These come from associations with words such as "voltige" (acrobatics on a trapeze or horse), "volte-face" (a spinning about to face one's enemies), and "volatile" (originally, any winged creature). Voltaire is additionally known to have used at least 178 separate pen names during his lifetime.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 pm

neufer wrote:
Anthony Barreiro wrote:
It is a composite image.
Aha. That's pretty crafty -- he used moonlight to illuminate the beach and waterfall, and then after the Moon set he had a dark pre-dawn sky for imaging the Milky Way. If it wasn't for you, Holmes, he might have gotten away with it.

drollere
Ensign

Post by drollere » Tue May 07, 2013 8:45 pm

it's a nice picture, but it needs a couple of smirfs roasting marshmallows around a campfire.

Louise

Post by Louise » Wed May 08, 2013 1:56 am

Anthony Barreiro wrote:Aha. That's pretty crafty -- he used moonlight to illuminate the beach and waterfall, and then after the Moon set he had a dark pre-dawn sky for imaging the Milky Way. If it wasn't for you, Holmes, he might have gotten away with it.
Actually, the word composite is CLEARLY spelled in the APOD description, so before you so blatantly insult the author of the image or the APOD editors by insinuating that information is being hidden about how the image was crafted ("gotten away with it" implies just that whether you meant it or not) you may want to read the text that goes with the image. Aha...

Cheers,
Louise

Yahchanan

Post by Yahchanan » Wed May 08, 2013 2:31 am

Hey, that's a neat picture. But,

> A short hike was needed to reach this rugged perch

If you say so; but I have taken very similar pictures of that place while standing next to my car, which was parked in a turnout of a major highway (Pacific Coast Highway, CA 1).

> Usually obscured McWay Falls

Obscured by what?

Yahchanan
Last edited by owlice on Wed May 08, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to remove url

Damian

Post by Damian » Wed May 08, 2013 2:45 am

Yahchanan wrote:Hey, that's a neat picture. But,

> A short hike was needed to reach this rugged perch

If you say so; but I have taken very similar pictures of that place while standing next to my car, which was parked in a turnout of a major highway (Pacific Coast Highway, CA 1).
I've been to McWay falls many times, I am familiar with the vantage point from where today's APOD was taken, and indeed a short hike is required:

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/overloo ... cway-falls

I also know the turnout you mention. Not the same view. Taking the short hike gives much better views and options for slightly different angles. You should try it next time if you haven't.

Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Wed May 08, 2013 6:38 pm

Louise wrote:
Anthony Barreiro wrote:Aha. That's pretty crafty -- he used moonlight to illuminate the beach and waterfall, and then after the Moon set he had a dark pre-dawn sky for imaging the Milky Way. If it wasn't for you, Holmes, he might have gotten away with it.
Actually, the word composite is CLEARLY spelled in the APOD description, so before you so blatantly insult the author of the image or the APOD editors by insinuating that information is being hidden about how the image was crafted ("gotten away with it" implies just that whether you meant it or not) you may want to read the text that goes with the image. Aha...

Cheers,
Louise
Cheers Louise. By addressing Neufer as Holmes, I was taking on the role of Dr. John H. Watson, Sherlock Holmes' somewhat obtuse sidekick. Thus I was actually making fun of myself for not figuring out how the picture had been composed. No insult was intended to Rogelio nor to the APOD editors. You might want to consider the possibility that someone is attempting humor (even if the joke fails, as this one did for you) before you start making emotionally charged accusations.

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed May 08, 2013 8:33 pm

Anthony Barreiro wrote:
By addressing Neufer as Holmes, I was taking on the role of Dr. John H. Watson, Sherlock Holmes' somewhat obtuse sidekick.
http://www.literature.org/authors/doyle-arthur-conan/study-in-scarlet/part-01/chapter-02.html wrote:
A Study In Scarlet Part 1by Arthur Conan Doyle
Chapter 2 - The Science Of Deduction
<<[Holmes's] ignorance was as remarkable as his knowledge. Of contemporary literature, philosophy and politics he appeared to know next to nothing. Upon my quoting Thomas Carlyle, he inquired in the naivest way who he might be and what he had done. My surprise reached a climax, however, when I found incidentally that he was ignorant of the Copernican Theory and of the composition of the Solar System. That any civilized human being in this nineteenth century should not be aware that the earth travelled round the sun appeared to be to me such an extraordinary fact that I could hardly realize it.

"You appear to be astonished," he said, smiling at my expression of surprise. "Now that I do know it I shall do my best to forget it."

"To forget it!"

"You see," he explained, "I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of EVERy sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it. Now the skilful workman is VERy careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain-attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order. It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. Depend upon it there comes a time when for EVERy addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones."

"But the Solar System!" I protested.

"What the deuce is it to me?" he interrupted impatiently; "you say that we go round the sun. If we went round the moon it would not make a pennyworth of difference to me or to my work."
>>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed May 08, 2013 11:40 pm

So that's why i don't remember much spacey stuff, I've got a brain full of important stuff. Gee... i wonder what it is? :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.