APOD: Earths Major Telescopes Investigate... (2013 May 08)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

Post by APOD Robot » Wed May 08, 2013 4:08 am

Image Earths Major Telescopes Investigate GRB 130427A

Explanation: A tremendous explosion has occurred in the nearby universe and major telescopes across Earth and space are investigating. Dubbed GRB 130427A, the gamma-ray burst was first seen by the Earth-orbiting Swift satellite in high energy X-rays and quickly reported down to Earth. Within three minutes, the half-meter ISON telescope in New Mexico found the blast in visible light, noted its extreme brightness, and relayed more exact coordinates. Within the next few minutes, the bright optical counterpart was being tracked by several quickly re-pointable telescopes including the 2.0-meter P60 telescope in California, the 1.3-meter PAIRTEL telescope in New Mexico, and the 2.0-meter Faulkes Telescope North in Hawaii. Within two hours, the 8.2-meter Gemini North telescope in Hawaii noted a redshift of 0.34, placing the explosion about 470 million light years away -- considered nearby in cosmological terms. Previously recorded images from the RAPTOR full-sky monitors were scanned and a very bright optical counterpart -- magnitude 7.4 -- was found 50 seconds before the Swift trigger. The brightest burst in recent years, a signal from GRB 130427A has also been found in low energy radio waves by the Very Large Array (VLA) and at the highest energies ever recorded by the Fermi satellite. Neutrino, gravitational wave, and telescopes designed to detect only extremely high energy photons are checking their data for a GRB 130427A signal. Pictured in the above animation, the entire gamma-ray sky is shown becoming momentarily dominated by the intense glow of GRB 130427A. Continued tracking the optical counterpart will surely be ongoing as there is a possibility that the glow of a classic supernova will soon emerge.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: APOD: Earths Major Telescopes Investigate... (2013 May 0

Post by bystander » Wed May 08, 2013 4:36 am

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed May 08, 2013 5:38 am

Only 470 million light-years away? That's just a bit farther away than the Coma Cluster, about 1½ times farther away. This gamma-ray burst feels uncomfortably nearby!

I tried to access this discussion forum by going from the APOD page itself to here, via the Discuss link. However, when I clicked on it, I got the following message:
You are probably trying to discuss an APOD which does not yet exist. You want to discuss the APOD from May 9th, 2013.

If you are sure this is correct, try again later. Otherwise, head over to The Asterisk to discuss an APOD which does exist.
Ann
Color Commentator

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Wed May 08, 2013 6:25 am

Ann wrote:Only 470 million light-years away? That's just a bit farther away than the Coma Cluster, about 1½ times farther away. This gamma-ray burst feels uncomfortably nearby!
That's because is to close. The articles I've read e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRB_130427A, all state the GRB distance at 3.6 billion lyr. As far as recorded GRBs go, it is still a close one. Just not that close. An 0.34 red shift more correctly corresponds to the further distance anyway.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

Bay Area John

Post by Bay Area John » Wed May 08, 2013 7:00 am

I noted the widely different distance reported here than the rest of the reports too.
I was also kind of surprised that the summary here didn't mention the DATE it was seen, April 27 of this year. Kind of a big detail to leave out.

Bay Area John

Post by Bay Area John » Wed May 08, 2013 7:05 am

...although thems that knows about such things would say the date was explicitly given... in the name of the object. GRB 130427A means the Gamma Ray Burst of April 27, 2013.
And now I'm among thems that knows. You too.

Tucker512
Ensign

Post by Tucker512 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:43 am

Yes, well, some other details left out or wrong entirely:

First, I'd like to buy a vowel... it's PAIRITEL, not PAIRTEL.

Also, it turns out Arizona is not New Mexico. Very similar, yes, but not actually the same state... PAIRITEL is on Mt. Hopkins, south of Tucson, AZ.

I'll give you "PAIRTEL" as a typo, but when you miss something's location by a whole state, I worry about the accuracy of subtler details that most people wouldn't know were right or wrong. Oh, like z=0.34 being 3.6 billion light-years, not 470 million.

On the plus side, it is actually an ASTRONOMY picture of the day, and not clouds or something... Which are fantastic--in pictures, not in real life, they ruin my astrophotos--but are decidedly not astronomical. Just saying. You know, as long as I'm ranting... :)

Regards,
Scott Tucker
Tucson, New Mexico

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:56 am

Distance of GRB 130427A 3,6 billion light-year away
( link by bystander )
Why APOD say 470 million light year away?
This is a big explosion, indeed.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 am

The information seems to be incorrect. don't know what to accept.
does not explain the picture. I assume it to be a radio picture or some such of the grb...at least Ann, can enjoy the blue dots....

I think it really needs to be re-written....

But after following the link on gravity waves, I did have an interesting realization that I eventually reconcilled with my other realizations about gravity. let us just say this article is not the only inaccuracy around....

:---(===) *

TomTom

Post by TomTom » Wed May 08, 2013 10:38 am

Is such an event harmful for earth? Does such an event has any impact on anything? Could someone have seen this in visible light?

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Wed May 08, 2013 11:00 am

I receive this error when I click the "Discuss" link at the bottom of the APOD:
You are probably trying to discuss an APOD which does not yet exist. You want to discuss the APOD from May 9th, 2013.

If you are sure this is correct, try again later. Otherwise, head over to The Asterisk to discuss an APOD which does exist.
Can this be fixed?
Or wait - is it just me?

:?

ETA: also, what is the other bright spot at the lower right? Another GRB?
Forget the box, just get outside.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Wed May 08, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks, everyone. Several text updates have been made. I apologize for the oversights. - RJN

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed May 08, 2013 11:40 am

APOD Robot wrote:Image Earths Major Telescopes Investigate GRB 130427A

Explanation: Previously recorded images from the RAPTOR full-sky monitors were scanned and a very bright optical counterpart -- magnitude 7.4 -- was found 50 seconds before the Swift trigger.
  • What the heck is that all about :?: :!:
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/21mar_nakedeye/ wrote: <<March 21, 2008: A powerful gamma ray burst detected March 19th by NASA's Swift satellite has shattered the record for the most distant object that could be seen with the naked eye. The burst was named GRB 080319B and registered between 5 and 6 on the visual magnitude scale used by astronomers.

Later that evening, the Very Large Telescope in Chile and the Hobby-Eberly Telescope in Texas measured the burst's redshift at 0.94. A redshift is a measure of the distance to an object. A redshift of 0.94 translates into a distance of 7.5 billion light years, meaning the explosion took place 7.5 billion years ago, a time when the universe was less than half its current age and Earth had yet to form. This is more than halfway across the visible universe.

"No other known object or type of explosion could be seen by the naked eye at such an immense distance," says Swift science team member Stephen Holland of Goddard. "If someone just happened to be looking at the right place at the right time, they saw the most distant object ever seen by human eyes without optical aid."

Most gamma ray bursts occur when massive stars run out of nuclear fuel. Their cores collapse to form black holes or neutron stars, releasing an intense burst of high-energy gamma rays and ejecting particle jets that rip through space at nearly the speed of light. When the jets plow into surrounding interstellar clouds, they heat the gas to incandescent visibility. It is this gaseous "afterglow" which was visible to the human eye on March 19th.>>
Last edited by neufer on Wed May 08, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Art Neuendorffer

John Champagne
Asternaut

Post by John Champagne » Wed May 08, 2013 12:21 pm

If a miniature black hole were produced by a curious species involved in high-energy physics experiments, and that black hole ended up swallowing the planet that was home to such species, what kind of signature would such an implosion produce?
Last edited by bystander on Wed May 08, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam removed

BrianSherwood

Post by BrianSherwood » Wed May 08, 2013 12:33 pm

I found the clause "in the nearby universe" to be a bit problematic; is there another universe nearby? Couldn't this be rephrased to be a bit less ambiguous?

The gamma rays (aka 'cosmic rays'?) should be deflected by the Van Allen belt, shouldn't they? Or is there any protection from them (aside from the distance)?

Daburb1953

Post by Daburb1953 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:44 pm

I think this is great information for study. I have a question I hope someone can explain. If we're seeing the gamma ray burst now, why does APOD say in their last sentence "Continued tracking the optical counterpart will surely be ongoing as there is a possibility that the glow of a classic supernova will soon emerge."??
I thought nothing traveled faster than the speed of light - so if we're seeing the gamma ray bursts now, why would 'the optical counterpart' soon emerge? Wouldn't they be at the time time?
It's been a long time since I've been really 'into' astrophysics, so please excuse my ignorance.
Thanks!

Stargazer_MD

Post by Stargazer_MD » Wed May 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Did it happen today? Putting the date of occurrence will help an idiot such as me.

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Wed May 08, 2013 12:49 pm

i'm feeling mean and green
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

John O

Post by John O » Wed May 08, 2013 1:00 pm

In other words, this Gamma ray burst that is 470 million light years away, happened 470 million years ago, if we go by the speed of light...aren't we a bit late!

Willy
Ensign

Post by Willy » Wed May 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks for the corrections.

I also added the date in my Spanish translation, without a date it actually might seem to be a kind of breaking news story, and of course, in cosmological terms it is.

Daburb1953

Post by Daburb1953 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Stargazer_MD wrote:Did it happen today? Putting the date of occurrence will help an idiot such as me.
It was observed on the 27th of April. I discovered (today) that GRB 130427 means 'Gamma Ray Burst 2013-04-27' or April 27th 2013
If the distance is now reported at 3.6 billion light years. So it occurred 3.6 billion years ago - or thereabouts - give or take a month or two :)

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Wed May 08, 2013 1:15 pm

John Champagne wrote:If a miniature black hole were produced by a curious species involved in high-energy physics experiments, and that black hole ended up swallowing the planet that was home to such species, what kind of signature would such an implosion produce?
Presumably you're thinking of using high-energy collisions, such as in the large Hadron Collider, to make a black hole? The Wikipedia page about Black Holes says...
Even if micro black holes should be formed in these collisions, it is expected that they would evaporate in about 10−25 seconds, posing no threat to the Earth.
Rob

stephen63
Science Officer

Post by stephen63 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:40 pm

neufer wrote:
APOD Robot wrote:Image Earths Major Telescopes Investigate GRB 130427A

Explanation: Previously recorded images from the RAPTOR full-sky monitors were scanned and a very bright optical counterpart -- magnitude 7.4 -- was found 50 seconds before the Swift trigger.
  • What the heck is that all about :?: :!:
Our Galaxy’s black hole may be cooking its dinner right in front of Herschel’s eyes.
Quantum foam?
http://www.universetoday.com/11889/high ... -of-light/

John Champagne
Asternaut

Post by John Champagne » Wed May 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Rob, since we are not particularly familiar with natural phenomena at these energies, I would suggest that what is expected and what might actually happen may not match closely.

Strangerbarry

Post by Strangerbarry » Wed May 08, 2013 1:46 pm

I wonder if any GRBs have been or could be seen with the naked eye ? You'd have to be looking at the right place at the right time - pure chance - and most people likely wouldn't know what they're seeing. Still, the thought that one might see light that is billions of years old, without a telescope, seems fascinating