APOD: Venus and the Triply Ultraviolet Sun (2013 Aug 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Peter Dove
Asternaut

Re: APOD: Venus and the Triply Ultraviolet Sun (2013 Aug 20)

Post by Peter Dove » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:54 pm

Beyond wrote:Ya know... it does sorta resemble a cheese pizza (with one anchovy) that's been sitting around for q-u-i-t-e a while. :chomp: :?: :no: :!: :no: :!: Toooo many things growing there. :lol2:
Heh, heh. Moldy pizza. I like that. It could also be a squid instead of an anchovy. The food in '2001' was blue, too.

Peter

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: APOD: Venus and the Triply Ultraviolet Sun (2013 Aug 20)

Post by neufer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:27 pm

Peter Dove wrote:
Beyond wrote:
Ya know... it does sorta resemble a cheese pizza (with one anchovy) that's been sitting around for q-u-i-t-e a while. :chomp: :?: :no: :!: :no: :!: Toooo many things growing there. :lol2:
Heh, heh. Moldy pizza. I like that. It could also be a squid instead of an anchovy. The food in '2001' was blue, too.
http://www.underview.com/bhpalltrims.html#en05 wrote:
A TASTE OF BLUE FOOD IN STANLEY KUBRICK'S 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
BY THOMAS E. BROWN AND PHIL VENDY, 2 March 2000

<<Perhaps the most tantalising of all claims about 2001: A Space Odyssey is the sighting of Dave opening packs of "blue food" in his cosmic apartment. Previously considered to be nothing other than a case of ailing memory or confusion between the movie and the book, we now have it on the highest authority that this scene was indeed staged.

Arthur C. Clarke characteristically used the blue food to illustrate a point that few other writers could have achieved with anything like the same elegance and subtlety: namely, that the "aliens", able to construct an entire environment for Dave's comfort out of the intercepted thoughts and images broadcast into space from planet Earth, had no idea what was contained in those boxes of food.

It seems highly likely that Kubrick did in fact try out some shots of the food that Clarke so explicitly describes in the book. Our difficulty is that there is no evidence that these shots were ever screened in public, so memories of having seen them may still be false, as we suggested. If any proof does come to light, of early prints of the movie including these scenes, you can be sure that a further revision of this paper will follow soon after.>>
Art Neuendorffer