APOD: North Celestial Tree (2013 Oct 23)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Buzz Kill

Re: APOD: North Celestial Tree (2013 Oct 23)

Post by Buzz Kill » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:23 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
BDanielMayfield wrote:Imagine that the Earth's rotation rate was so fast that stars actually looked like this!
No need to imagine. The Earth's rotation rate actually does make the stars look like this. That's why we have this image.
Chris Peterson wrote:
Anthony Barreiro wrote: Chris, if your retinal afterimages last two hours, you should probably see an opthamologist. Most people's afterimages only last about half a second. If the Earth were rotating this far in half a second, well, I'm not good at math, but it would be pretty darn fast. :lol2:
It's not my retinas that are involved, but my memory. I constantly notice the apparent rotation of the sky when I'm outside.
The only times I've seen star trails (or trails from any other object) in real time (as opposed to looking at a time lapse photogragh) was when I was following the advice of Timothy Leary. Perhaps that Rocky Mountain water is more potent than Coors lets on....

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Re: APOD: North Celestial Tree (2013 Oct 23)

Post by BDanielMayfield » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Buzz Kill wrote:The only times I've seen star trails (or trails from any other object) in real time (as opposed to looking at a time lapse photogragh) was when I was following the advice of Timothy Leary. Perhaps that Rocky Mountain water is more potent than Coors lets on....
Sounds like your buzz hadn’t been killed yet Buzz Kill.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.