APOD: Kepler 78b: Earth Sized Planet... (2013 Nov 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
robgendler

Re: APOD: Kepler 78b: Earth Sized Planet... (2013 Nov 05)

Post by robgendler » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:37 pm

should read "anthropocentric"

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:41 pm

robgendler wrote:
You can go back and edit it you know.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:44 pm

robgendler wrote:"If microbial life is widespread in the cosmos, we can expect that, at least here and there, sentient beings will evolve. We would then be much closer to answering that age-old puzzle of existence: Are we alone in the universe? "

Good article...except for the above grossly determistic assumption. If intelligence is highly selected for (inevitable sentient beings) then answer me the following. Arguably the second most intelligent animal on earth (the chimpanzee) has not been even remotely as successful as man from an evolutionary perspective. Also there is good evidence for the existence and subsequent extinction of multiple hominid species, all highly intelligent and likely highly conscious beings. The highly intelligent marine mammals although successful in their own way are not any more successful than sharks.....a primitive group having shown little change over 400 million years. The article was great until his last sentence which reveals obvious anthropogenic thinking and bias.
Indeed, there is a tendency to think of humans as somehow being "at the top" of the evolutionary ladder. That leads to thinking that sentience is somehow an evolutionary endpoint.

Sentience is no more impressive than teeth or claws. It either allows a species to be successful, or it does not. If humans are any example, sentience is likely not a good evolutionary path for a species, as it seems our time of existence may be limited by our very sentience.

I agree completely with the comment that bacterial life implies the emergence of sentience, at least occasionally. But it tells us nothing about how many other sentient species might exist at any one time.

Another bias comes in connecting sentience with technology. For all I know, whales and dolphins are more sentient, and more intelligent by many metrics than humans. They may well be more successful species. But since we tend to evaluate intelligence by tool use, we don't even hardly know how to consider them.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:45 pm

neufer wrote:
robgendler wrote:
You can go back and edit it you know.
You can't edit posts with guest accounts.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

robgendler

Post by robgendler » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
robgendler wrote:"If microbial life is widespread in the cosmos, we can expect that, at least here and there, sentient beings will evolve. We would then be much closer to answering that age-old puzzle of existence: Are we alone in the universe? "

Good article...except for the above grossly determistic assumption. If intelligence is highly selected for (inevitable sentient beings) then answer me the following. Arguably the second most intelligent animal on earth (the chimpanzee) has not been even remotely as successful as man from an evolutionary perspective. Also there is good evidence for the existence and subsequent extinction of multiple hominid species, all highly intelligent and likely highly conscious beings. The highly intelligent marine mammals although successful in their own way are not any more successful than sharks.....a primitive group having shown little change over 400 million years. The article was great until his last sentence which reveals obvious anthropogenic thinking and bias.
Indeed, there is a tendency to think of humans as somehow being "at the top" of the evolutionary ladder. That leads to thinking that sentience is somehow an evolutionary endpoint.

Sentience is no more impressive than teeth or claws. It either allows a species to be successful, or it does not. If humans are any example, sentience is likely not a good evolutionary path for a species, as it seems our time of existence may be limited by our very sentience.

I agree completely with the comment that bacterial life implies the emergence of sentience, at least occasionally. But it tells us nothing about how many other sentient species might exist at any one time.

Another bias comes in connecting sentience with technology. For all I know, whales and dolphins are more sentient, and more intelligent by many metrics than humans. They may well be more successful species. But since we tend to evaluate intelligence by tool use, we don't even hardly know how to consider them.
Wow Chris....we actually come close to agreement on something :-). Its very, very difficult for many people to see homo sapiens as not a "climax" species....but just another transitional species like many before us (and after). These discussions are often so unconsciously contaminated with anthropocentric thinking even among expert scientists in the field.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:02 pm

neufer wrote: the Beyond Center
IF you could actually find that center, you most likely would not understand any of it. :no:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:04 pm

robgendler wrote:Wow Chris....we actually come close to agreement on something :-).
I suspect we agree about a whole lot more than we disagree about. We just don't discuss our common beliefs in this forum. 'Tis the nature of Internet dialog, for the most part.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:08 pm

ANTHROPOCENTRIC

anthropocentric - The Free Dictionary
an·thro·po·cen·tric ( n thr -p -s n tr k). adj. 1. Regarding humans as the central element of the universe. 2. Interpreting reality exclusively in terms of human values ...

I think that's rather dumb :!: :yes:

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Beyond wrote:ANTHROPOCENTRIC

an·thro·po·cen·tric ( n thr -p -s n tr k). adj. 1. Regarding humans as the central element of the universe. 2. Interpreting reality exclusively in terms of human values ...

That's the status quo for humanity, though. We're all athropocentric to some degree, especially for definition 2.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:49 pm

geckzilla wrote:... We're all athropocentric to some degree, ... .
Speak for yourself. I judge everything on the basis of how well it suits dolphins and mice.

Rob (who is not 42)

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:56 pm

Gee, it's amazing what one can find in Wikipedia. :yes:

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Beyond wrote:
neufer wrote:
the Beyond Center
IF you could actually find that center, you most likely would not understand any of it. :no:
Wow, Beyond....we actually come close to agreement on something :-).
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:39 pm

Close as in "horseshoes", or "government work" :?:

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:07 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Beyond wrote:ANTHROPOCENTRIC

That's the status quo for humanity, though. We're all athropocentric to some degree, especially for definition 2.
Every Human is Anthropocentric WRT the Visible Universe

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:28 pm

BMAONE23 wrote: Every Human is Anthropocentric WRT the Visible Universe
And the rest of it, as well.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:52 pm

That 'silly' astrobiology. Just a very cool public lecture by Dr. David Grinspoon aka Dr. Funkyspoon
Actual lecture starts at about 15:30 (click for direct jump) if you are short on time.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.