APOD: Light Pillars over Finland (2013 Dec 18)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down

Re: APOD: Light Pillars over Finland (2013 Dec 18)

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:38 pm

owlice wrote:
Anthony Barreiro wrote:Admittedly I don't live in the Arctic, but would somebody please explain to me the difference between light pillars and light pollution? If these parking lot lights were properly shaded to prevent lateral and upward stray light, would they still produce light pillars through ground level ice fog?

Here in San Francisco businesses often promote themselves with searchlights controlled by intentionally distracting computer programs. When the searchlight pattern plays across what I'm looking at in the sky it raises my blood pressure. Why a city that claims to be environmentally concerned allows such a harmful practice is beyond me. Killing the searchlights is one of my new year resolutions.
I think you'll appreciate this:
What a sweet cartoon. Thanks for sharing.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

topl
Ensign

Post by topl » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:46 pm

So happy my photo was chosen, very interesting to read this discussion!
Usually I shoot landscapes and auroras, so I usually do everything I can to avoid light polution and be in a dark spot waiting for Northern lights to appear. I'm no fan of orange clouds, I guess some of you know what I mean :)
I've seen light pillars a few times before but never that strong. There were lamps on houses which had beams as well as any car light, just amazing. Even the moon appeared to have pillars going up and down.
Thanks to those who already explained that the light sources didn't point upwards.

Kevin M13

Post by Kevin M13 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:56 pm

Why draw positive attention to what amounts to light polution? Maybe on the Astronomy NOT picture of the day.