APOD: Spiral Galaxies in Collision (2014 Jan 19)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: APOD: Spiral Galaxies in Collision (2014 Jan 19)

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:54 am

rstevenson wrote:Of course, there will be many close encounters which change the velocity of both stars, but would any of those close encounters cause the resulting velocity of one or both stars to exceed the escape velocity of the merged galaxy? I suspect not, though quite a few stars will be sent off on long vacations before their new orbits can bring them back.
Many stars toward the outside of galaxies have orbital velocities not much greater than their escape velocities. Stars in some observed tidal tails exceed the escape velocity of the combined galactic mass that created those tails. Certainly, the majority of mass will be retained, but a not insignificant amount is likely to be lost. In galaxy clusters, some of the lost mass may be captured by other galaxies and remain bound to the cluster.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:53 pm

Nitpicker wrote:
JohnD wrote:We havea personal interest in this. Andromeda and the Milky Way will collide ina few mega-millenia. There are several videos online that purport to show wht will happen. This one happens to be especially smooth and '3D'.

John
One potentially possible outcome selected from an almost infinite number of possible outcomes.
I agree with John's interest, but also with Nitpicker's doubts about the prediction.

So when two galaxies merge, sometimes a spiral is produced, and sometimes an elliptical galaxy is produced. I’ve seen forecasts that predict that Andromeda and the Milky Way are destined to become an elliptical after their merger is complete, and that was what the simulation that John provided ended up with.

What determines the type of galaxy that emerges from these mergers? Is there any chance that our local group heavyweights might end up as a giant spiral instead of an elliptical after everything settles out?

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:35 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:So when two galaxies merge, sometimes a spiral is produced, and sometimes an elliptical galaxy is produced. I’ve seen forecasts that predict that Andromeda and the Milky Way are destined to become an elliptical after their merger is complete, and that was what the simulation that John provided ended up with.

What determines the type of galaxy that emerges from these mergers? Is there any chance that our local group heavyweights might end up as a giant spiral instead of an elliptical after everything settles out?
I think it is very rare for galaxy collisions to produce new spirals. The spiral shape was assumed because of conditions present when galaxies formed... conditions that no longer exist. To maintain a spiral, the result of the collision needs to remain a disc (because there is no strong mechanism to bring a globular structure back into a disc). I'd say that post-collision spirals might happen for two reasons. First, one of the colliding galaxies may be much less massive, and therefore only create limited disruption (not so much creating a new spiral as failing to destroy the original one). Second, the discs of the two galaxies may lie on nearly the same plane, resulting in a collision that doesn't move much mass out of that plane.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:I think it is very rare for galaxy collisions to produce new spirals. The spiral shape was assumed because of conditions present when galaxies formed... conditions that no longer exist. To maintain a spiral, the result of the collision needs to remain a disc (because there is no strong mechanism to bring a globular structure back into a disc). I'd say that post-collision spirals might happen for two reasons. First, one of the colliding galaxies may be much less massive, and therefore only create limited disruption (not so much creating a new spiral as failing to destroy the original one). Second, the discs of the two galaxies may lie on nearly the same plane, resulting in a collision that doesn't move much mass out of that plane.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:25 pm

need to crank up HAL to run a simulation of this future event and see if I need to be worried about something smacking us again and make another moon. Pass an icecold one, please :D :D
Wolf Kotenberg