APOD: The El Gordo Massive Galaxy Cluster (2014 Apr 22)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: The El Gordo Massive Galaxy Cluster (2014 Apr 22)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:05 am

Image The El Gordo Massive Galaxy Cluster

Explanation: It is bigger than a bread box. In fact, it is much bigger than all bread boxes put together. Galaxy cluster ACT-CL J0102-4915 is one of the largest and most massive objects known. Dubbed "El Gordo", the seven billion light years (z = 0.87) distant galaxy cluster spans about seven million light years and holds the mass of a million billion Suns. The above image of El Gordo is a composite of a visible light image from the Hubble Space Telescope, an X-ray image from the Chandra Observatory showing the hot gas in pink, and a computer generated map showing the most probable distribution of dark matter in blue, computed from gravitational lens distortions of background galaxies. Almost all of the bright spots are galaxies. The blue dark matter distribution indicates that the cluster is in the middle stages of a collision between two large galaxy clusters. A careful inspection of the image will reveal a nearly vertical galaxy that appears unusually long. That galaxy is actually far in the background and has its image stretched by the gravitational lens action of the massive cluster.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: APOD: The El Gordo Massive Galaxy Cluster (2014 Apr 22)

Post by Beyond » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:25 am

At seven million light years across, that's a lot of bull. Siriusly.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:05 am

A long time ago in galaxies far, far away ...

I can confirm that the lens distortions through my little telescope also reveal a lot of darkness in this part of Phoenix. And I, too, would have to use a computer to make it appear blue. But I would have to stretch the truth, as well as the light curves, to call it dark matter.

With an angular size of ~9.5 arcmin, a bread box/bin 500m distant would appear about as big as El Gordo does in the southern sky.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:08 am

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:49 am

Since it's 7,000,000,000+ LY away/ago, shouldn't all the verbs be past tense?
(Of course, anything we see is historical, but the vast distance means that everything is markedly different now.)

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:01 am

Guest wrote:Since it's 7,000,000,000+ LY away/ago, shouldn't all the verbs be past tense?
(Of course, anything we see is historical, but the vast distance means that everything is markedly different now.)
The light we are receiving for the cluster is the most up to date light we can get, though. Unless you're planning on actually traveling there or calculating the age of a distant galaxy it's not necessary to constantly think of everything beyond a few light seconds away as being in the past. What would be the cut off point for past tense consideration, anyhow?
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:25 am

Guest wrote:Since it's 7,000,000,000+ LY away/ago, shouldn't all the verbs be past tense?
Tenses are, were and always will be non-relativistic, unless noted otherwise. :o_O:

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:33 am

Guest wrote:... the vast distance means that everything is markedly different now.
Very true. Many of the galaxies in this image will have merged by now, and other nearby galactic clusters should have been drawn toward this region too. Would it grow to the scale of our Great Attractor?

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:54 pm

The text says "hot gas in pink ..." But what are the brighter red "dots" ?
They seem to have an interesting distribution around El Gordo in this image.

My favorite part of this beautiful image (so far) is at the top center.
In the middle of a triangle of 3 of those red dots it looks like something wild is occurring.
Mark Goldfain

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:24 pm

they found Mr Hardy, now lets find Mr Laurel
Wolf Kotenberg

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:10 pm

ta152h0 wrote:they found Mr Hardy, now lets find Mr Laurel
Mr Laurel is in the center of the red portion of the mass, Long and stretched out with no other typical lensing hallmarks (arcs or foreground galaxy) apparent

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:14 pm

geckzilla wrote:
The light we are receiving for the cluster is the most up to date light we can get, though. Unless you're planning on actually traveling there or calculating the age of a distant galaxy it's not necessary to constantly think of everything beyond a few light seconds away as being in the past. What would be the cut off point for past tense consideration, anyhow?
Good point considering the Sun we see in the sky is actually 8 1/2 light minutes older than what we view

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:26 pm

If you're going to complain about that, you should also be aware that at z=0.87, the light travel time may be 7 billion light years, but the current distance is actually 10 billion light years. It's usually best not to overthink these things.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:01 pm

Are the red spots highly red-shifted distant galaxies or also hot gas depicted from the X-ray image from the Chandra Observatory? The colors are a curious adaption as we really can't see X-rays and we have to adjust them to a wavelength we can see. Is it also true of the blues of the dark matter versus the blues of the galaxy discs seen off center? I can't imagine it's also representational of the dark matter there too. Using color to illustrate un-seeable features can lead to a bit of confusion.

I wish I could think of an alternate strategy for composite images but it's rather akin to a two dimensional photo of a three dimension object; our current best portrayal of an "El-Gordian" truth.
Make Mars not Wars

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:Are the red spots highly red-shifted distant galaxies or also hot gas depicted from the X-ray image from the Chandra Observatory? The colors are a curious adaption as we really can't see X-rays and we have to adjust them to a wavelength we can see. Is it also true of the blues of the dark matter versus the blues of the galaxy discs seen off center? I can't imagine it's also representational of the dark matter there too. Using color to illustrate un-seeable features can lead to a bit of confusion.

I wish I could think of an alternate strategy for composite images but it's rather akin to a two dimensional photo of a three dimension object; our current best portrayal of an "El-Gordian" truth.
Yes, it is very confusing to cram so much information into a single image composed solely of visible light. There's not a lot of room to put it all. The Chandra website uses a great technique to compensate for this by allowing users to isolate wavelengths to lessen the confusion a bit. Click the x-ray, optical, and mass links under the picture.
http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2014/elgordo/

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:59 am

Nitpicker wrote:With an angular size of ~9.5 arcmin, a bread box/bin 500m distant would appear about as big as El Gordo does in the southern sky.
Correction: The (interesting) Chandra website given in geckzilla's last post, lists the image scale as being about 5 arcmin across. My revised calculations give the angular size of El Gordo (and the breadbox at 500m) at ~3.5 arcmin. [PEBKAC.]

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:39 am

APOD Robot: wrote:Galaxy cluster ACT-CL J0102-4915 is one of the largest and most massive objects known. Dubbed "El Gordo", the seven billion light years (z = 0.87) distant galaxy cluster spans about seven million light years and holds the mass of a million billion Suns.
That being so, shouldn't this be called a Galatic Supercluster? Or had superclusters not yet formed at this universal age?
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:53 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:
APOD Robot: wrote:Galaxy cluster ACT-CL J0102-4915 is one of the largest and most massive objects known. Dubbed "El Gordo", the seven billion light years (z = 0.87) distant galaxy cluster spans about seven million light years and holds the mass of a million billion Suns.
That being so, shouldn't this be called a Galatic Supercluster? Or had superclusters not yet formed at this universal age?
El Gordo is not a supercluster, but superclusters had formed by this time (according to what I have just read).

The Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Gordo_(galaxy_cluster) says this:
As of 2014, it still holds the record for being the largest distant galaxy cluster to have been discovered.
(There's always a larger, more massive object, it seems.)

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:21 pm

In the explanation it states "Dubbed "El Gordo", the seven billion light years (z = 0.87) distant galaxy cluster spans about seven million light years and holds the mass of a million billion Suns". Wow that's a lot of Suns!

With my very non-scientific mind I just cannot help wonder what effect (if any) a mass such as that of El Gordo has on the few billion light-years Universe that lie beyond it (from our perspective). As objects get ever nearer to the limit (is there one?) of the Universe then what happens at and after the limit may be way beyond mind-bogglingly awesome! What a let down therefore it will be if the Universe just ends abruptly (though probably still expanding at present) with nothing beyond!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:37 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:With my very non-scientific mind I just cannot help wonder what effect (if any) a mass such as that of El Gordo has on the few billion light-years Universe that lie beyond it (from our perspective). As objects get ever nearer to the limit (is there one?) of the Universe then what happens at and after the limit may be way beyond mind-bogglingly awesome! What a let down therefore it will be if the Universe just ends abruptly (though probably still expanding at present) with nothing beyond!
There is no limit to the Universe, there is no edge. From the position of this galaxy cluster, the Universe appears substantially similar to what we see. Every observer appears to be at the center of a local observable universe 93 billion light years across, or 27.6 billion light travel years across. From the viewpoint of the cluster, we appear to have a redshift of 0.87.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:37 am

that is why an ice cold one on occasion is good for the mind. All the relative stuff makes humans be so puny. Salud, Universo !!!
Wolf Kotenberg

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
DavidLeodis wrote:With my very non-scientific mind I just cannot help wonder what effect (if any) a mass such as that of El Gordo has on the few billion light-years Universe that lie beyond it (from our perspective). As objects get ever nearer to the limit (is there one?) of the Universe then what happens at and after the limit may be way beyond mind-bogglingly awesome! What a let down therefore it will be if the Universe just ends abruptly (though probably still expanding at present) with nothing beyond!
There is no limit to the Universe, there is no edge. From the position of this galaxy cluster, the Universe appears substantially similar to what we see. Every observer appears to be at the center of a local observable universe 93 billion light years across, or 27.6 billion light travel years across. From the viewpoint of the cluster, we appear to have a redshift of 0.87.
Thanks Chris. :)

Ardvark59

Post by Ardvark59 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:39 pm

I don't know about all of you but if you look real close at the center of the image there appears to be a face of some kind

ChrisHeinz

Post by ChrisHeinz » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:18 am

What are the 3 diffuse reddish blobs in the upper half of the image?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:28 am

ChrisHeinz wrote:What are the 3 diffuse reddish blobs in the upper half of the image?
I haven't been able to figure this out. There's only one compact x-ray source clearly associated with anything at all. I am giving this Twitter thing a try by tweeting to the Chandra team... maybe one of them will answer.