APOD: A Supercell Storm Cloud Forming over... (2014 May 21)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Supercell Storm Cloud Forming over... (2014 May 21)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed May 21, 2014 4:05 am

Image A Supercell Storm Cloud Forming over Wyoming

Explanation: How do supercell storm clouds form? Pictured above is a time-lapse video taken last Sunday detailing the formation of one such violent supercell in eastern Wyoming, USA. Starting as part of a large and dark thunderstorm complex, the supercell comes together along with a large rotating updraft of air known as a mesocyclone. Mesocyclones form during rapid changes in wind speed and direction with height and can produce torrential rain, damaging hail, swirling winds, and sometimes tornadoes. Storm watchers are seen studying, imaging, and ultimately running from the developing storm cloud during the video. During the middle part of the video, the kilometer-wide supercell can be seen swirling ominously with a nearly flat bottom. Toward the end of the video, another swirling supercell cloud forms but then quickly dissipates.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

gorade
Ensign

Re: APOD: A Supercell Storm Cloud Forming over... (2014 May

Post by gorade » Wed May 21, 2014 5:41 am

First of all, I turn off the lackadaisical "music" to concentrate on all fascinating details of cloud forming and whirls. I wish for a possibility to play those time laps movies in even slower motion. So much happens in all parts of the pictures.
With the Universe it is important to fit it into its proper context

RedFishBlueFish
Science Officer

Post by RedFishBlueFish » Wed May 21, 2014 12:12 pm

Awesome!

In the original, and now nearly completely lost, sense of generating an overwhelming sense of awe in the viewer.

At least it was awesome after I hit the mute button on the keyboard to silence the horribly distracting noise of the soundtrack.

Neither of these mesocyclones would I want to fly into. It is not dark, and they are not embedded, so the chances of that would be slim - but equally fearsome monsters can be found prowling unseen in many a summer system.

One of the very few times in life when it would be better being on the ground looking up at the sky, than in the sky looking down at the ground.

Awesome. Truly.

Thanks for posting this (in spite of the whinging comments of "but it is not astronomy" which it will likely engender).

CURRAHEE CHRIS
Science Officer

Post by CURRAHEE CHRIS » Wed May 21, 2014 12:31 pm

APOD Robot wrote:...... Storm watchers are seen studying, imaging, and ultimately running from the ..............

:D :D :D Sometimes its better to flee and fight another day

Wow, a kilometer wide- that is pretty intense. Cant say Id have been standing around too terribly long.

mike0609

Post by mike0609 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Please remove all pop up polling questions, ads, etc. (coming via YouTube) before displaying on the APOD page. Not appropriate for this site.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed May 21, 2014 3:13 pm

mike0609 wrote:Please remove all pop up polling questions, ads, etc. (coming via YouTube) before displaying on the APOD page. Not appropriate for this site.
The polls are being run by the editors and are not pop ups.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

BillBixby
Science Officer

Post by BillBixby » Wed May 21, 2014 11:38 pm

RedFishBlueFish wrote:Awesome!

In the original, and now nearly completely lost, sense of generating an overwhelming sense of awe in the viewer.

At least it was awesome after I hit the mute button on the keyboard to silence the horribly distracting noise of the soundtrack.

Neither of these mesocyclones would I want to fly into. It is not dark, and they are not embedded, so the chances of that would be slim - but equally fearsome monsters can be found prowling unseen in many a summer system.

One of the very few times in life when it would be better being on the ground looking up at the sky, than in the sky looking down at the ground.

Awesome. Truly.

Thanks for posting this (in spite of the whinging comments of "but it is not astronomy" which it will likely engender).
Thanks for pointing out the meaning of "Awesome." I love the word in its original sense.

BillBixby
Science Officer

Post by BillBixby » Wed May 21, 2014 11:47 pm

CURRAHEE CHRIS wrote:
APOD Robot wrote:...... Storm watchers are seen studying, imaging, and ultimately running from the ..............

:D :D :D Sometimes its better to flee and fight another day

Wow, a kilometer wide- that is pretty intense. Cant say Id have been standing around too terribly long.
For us raised under the English system of measurement, 5K is roughly 3 miles.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Thu May 22, 2014 1:06 am

One hit from THAT.....and you are NO LONGER IN KANSAS!!!!!! Not that this touched ground.

Awesomely fascinating....I found the lenticular formations of interest. It also looks like almost put together of individual cloud systems and layers. (An off balanced layer cake). Like individual cotton balls.....OH THAT'S IT.....you see clouds coming into it....like a huge cotton candy machine!!!!! And it just keeps building....

:---[===] *

Ody
Asternaut

Post by Ody » Thu May 22, 2014 2:41 am

I actually enjoyed the music! :-)

An awesome sight indeed. You just have to love, but pay respect to, nature at its most angry. Few things are more impressive than a really angry sea, this comes a very close second.

How much actual time elapses during the 'video'?
My only fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my photographic equipment for what I said I paid for it.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu May 22, 2014 12:58 pm

My reaction was also how awesome it is. Perhaps I should say awe-inspiring! :)

The scene between about 50 to 70 seconds is particularly amazing. Almost like a giant foot that was about to stamp on the ground!