APOD: A Strawberry Moon (2014 Jun 13)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Strawberry Moon (2014 Jun 13)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:05 am

Image A Strawberry Moon

Explanation: June's Full Moon (full phase on June 13, 0411 UT) is traditionally known as the Strawberry Moon or Rose Moon. Of course those names might also describe the appearance of this Full Moon, rising last month over the small Swedish village of Marieby. The Moon looks large in the image because the scene was captured with a long focal length lens from a place about 8 kilometers from the foreground houses. But just by eye a Full Moon rising, even on Friday the 13th, will appear to loom impossibly large near the horizon. That effect has long been recognized as the Moon Illusion. Unlike the magnification provided by a telescope or telephoto lens, the cause of the Moon illusion is still poorly understood and not explained by atmospheric optical effects, such as scattering and refraction, that produce the Moon's blushing color and ragged edge also seen in the photograph.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: APOD: A Strawberry Moon (2014 Jun 13)

Post by neufer » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:31 am

Art Neuendorffer

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:19 am

That's "Wild Strawberry PATCH" neufer, but you knew that.

In this pic, the terminator onthe Moon looks irregular. Is it due to the dim image confusing dark maria and the darkness line?

John

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:48 am

JohnD wrote: In this pic, the terminator onthe Moon looks irregular. Is it due to the dim image confusing dark maria and the darkness line?

John
That's a full strawberry, John. So, it's not the terminator that's irregular, but probably a cloud.

aliendon

Post by aliendon » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:05 am

Very unusual moon...but if this is the strawberry moon then what do we call our usual earth moon? Also, those folks have very run down looking structures, kinda reminds me of Appalachia here in the U.S.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:50 pm

aliendon wrote:
Very unusual moon...but if this is the strawberry moon then what do we call our usual earth moon?
Also, those folks have very run down looking structures, kinda reminds me of Appalachia here in the U.S.
Northern Appalachia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_moon#Farmers.27_Almanacs wrote:
<<The Maine Farmers' Almanac from c. the 1930s began to publish "Indian" full moon names. The Farmers' Almanac (since 1955 published in Maine, but not the same publication as the Maine Farmers' Almanac) continues to do so.

An early list of "Indian month names" was published in 1918 by Daniel Carter Beard in his The American Boy's Book of Signs, Signals and Symbols for use by the boy scouts. Beard's "Indian" month names were:
  • January: Difficulty, Black Smoke
    February: Racoon, Bare Spots on the Ground
    March: Wind, Little Grass, Sore-Eye
    April: Ducks, Goose-Eggs
    May: Green Grass, Root-Food
    June: Corn-Planting, Strawberry
    July: Buffalo (Bull), Hot Sun
    August: Harvest, Cow Buffalo
    September: Wild Rice, Red Plum
    October: Leaf-Falling, Nuts
    November: Deer-Mating, Fur-Pelts
    December: Wolves, Big Moon
Such names have gained currency in American folklore. They appear in print more widely outside of the almanac tradition from the 1990s in popular publications about the Moon. Mysteries of the Moon by Patricia Haddock ("Great Mysteries Series", Greenhaven Press, 1992) gave an extensive list of such names along with the individual tribal groups they were supposedly associated with. Haddock supposes that certain "Colonial American" moon names were adopted from Algonquian languages (which were formerly spoken in the territory of New England), while others are based in European tradition (e.g. the Colonial American names for the May moon, "Milk Moon", "Mother's Moon", "Hare Moon" have no parallels in the supposed native names, while the name of November, "Beaver Moon" is supposedly based in the Algonquin).

The individual names given in Farmers' Almanac include:

• January: "Wolf Moon" (this is the name of December in Beard 1918) also "Old Moon"
    February: "Snow Moon", also "Hunger Moon"
    March: "Worm Moon", "Crow Moon", "Sap Moon", "Lenten Moon"
    April: "Seed Moon", "Pink Moon", "Sprouting Grass Moon", "Egg Moon" (c.f. "Goose-Egg" in Beard 1918), "Fish Moon"
    May: "Milk Moon", "Flower Moon", "Corn Planting Moon"
    June: "Mead Moon", "Strawberry Moon" (c.f. Beard 1918), "Rose Moon", "Thunder Moon"
    July: "Hay Moon", "Buck Moon", "Thunder Moon"
    August: "Corn Moon", "Sturgeon Moon", "Red Moon", "Green Corn Moon", "Grain Moon"
    September: "Harvest Moon", "Full Corn Moon",
    October: "Hunter's Moon", "Blood Moon"/"Sanguine Moon"
    November: "Beaver Moon", "Frosty Moon"
    December: "Oak Moon", "Cold Moon", "Long Nights Moon"
Art Neuendorffer

TomB678

Post by TomB678 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Actually, I think the illusion is caused by atmospheric effects. I notice that when the air is clear, the moon looks very sharp, which makes it seem close and smaller. When the air causes distortion, like in this picture, the moon appears fuzzy and farther away and so we imagine it as larger.

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:18 pm

when neat stuff happens, the Pacific Northwest invariably clouds up. APOD pushes the clouds away.
Wolf Kotenberg

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:28 pm

Nitpicker wrote:
JohnD wrote: In this pic, the terminator onthe Moon looks irregular. Is it due to the dim image confusing dark maria and the darkness line?

John
That's a full strawberry, John. So, it's not the terminator that's irregular, but probably a cloud.
Considering there are cloud tops just visible to the left of the moon, I'd say it's certain.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:07 pm

Awesome Pic....well done.

:---[===] *

LocalColor
Science Officer

Post by LocalColor » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:44 pm

Beautiful image. Here in the states, the news "talking heads" are calling it the Honey Moon.

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:55 pm

I think the moon illusion might be caused by a trick of the mind.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:58 pm

LocalColor wrote:Beautiful image. Here in the states, the news "talking heads" are calling it the Honey Moon.
Quite so. I think that term is more common than either "Rose moon" or "Strawberry moon".

BTW, the Moon is currently at its perigee, so last night's and tonight's full Moon will appear extra large.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:58 pm

starsurfer wrote:I think the moon illusion might be caused by a trick of the mind.
I don't think there's any doubt about that.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

hypermetabolic

Post by hypermetabolic » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:14 pm

As a child I once set up a pane of thin glass to reflect the midnight overhead moon so it appeared to be on the horizon, which was visible through the glass. It looked just as oversize as it did at moonrise. (Yes, the glass did double the image.) For me it's a trick of the mind.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:55 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Nitpicker wrote:

John
Considering there are cloud tops just visible to the left of the moon, I'd say it's certain.
I'd say very few things are certain near the horizon. But I would be prepared to put money on it being a cloud. (And I'm not much of a gambler.)