APOD: Surreal Moon (2014 Aug 14)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Re: APOD: Surreal Moon (2014 Aug 14)

Post by DavidLeodis » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:07 am

Wow! What an amazing image :clap: (or should that be an amazeballs image using the word that has now apparently been recently accepted as a new word, at least in UK English :wink: ).

Sadly it was cloudy where I live so I did not see that 'Supermoon', though the next night there were clear areas and the Moon then looked Full(ish).

PS. I've noticed that the image also has AstroPix.com on it rather than just Jerry Lodriguss. I've now done a search and among several AstroPix's found one was for an AstroPix website that seems likely to be the one, in which it stated "AstroPix offers access to the public image galleries of many of the leading astronomical observatories under a single unified interface. Assets will include a full range of astronomical observations, artwork, and charts spanning the field of astronomy". I did not know of that.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:43 pm

astropix.ipac.caltech.edu is relatively new. I was looking at it the other day. It seems to have been dreamed up one day as a solution to the bitterness astronomers experience when searching for a Messier object only to be inundated with assault rifles. ;)
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:05 pm

geckzilla wrote:astropix.ipac.caltech.edu is relatively new. I was looking at it the other day. It seems to have been dreamed up one day as a solution to the bitterness astronomers experience when searching for a Messier object only to be inundated with assault rifles. ;)
Good.

And NGC objects are apparently coins. :?

Ann
Color Commentator