APOD: Messier 6 and Comet Siding Spring (2014 Oct 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: APOD: Messier 6 and Comet Siding Spring (2014 Oct 17)

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:04 pm

Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:I'll butt in. A moving object is little hard to define at a point in time.
How so? At any point in time, we can define its position or its distance from any other object, including moving objects.

Of course, in today's caption, the distance is being compared at a specific moment, when the comet passes nearest to Mars. That distance is given as 139,500 km, from which we can unambiguously infer that the closest known comet flyby of Earth was about 1.4 million km (which would be C/1491 B1 in 1491; the closest in modern times was C/1983 H1 in 1983 at 4.7 million km, or 34 times farther than C/2013 A1 will pass Mars).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

phoobar

Post by phoobar » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
visual_astronomer wrote:I don't intend to launch a grammer thread, but I agree with Bob.
Just becuase some people say "I could care less" when they really mean "I couldn't care less" doesn't make it correct.
Agreed. But there's nothing wrong with the expression Bob was objecting to. (I like "one tenth the distance" better, but in fact, both are correct usage.)
I have to say that "10 times closer" is utterly unambiguous.

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:49 pm

Language is malleable and it is closer to the weekend. I am having a fabulous (F)riday.These discussions always add pleasure to my day.

Today's APOD was a beautifully composed photograph foreshadowing the weekend event to this fascinating time for space science. No rest for those at NASA and all the other space agencies around the world that will be monitoring the close encounter this weekend. It should stack up to be a unique experience and unraveling the aftermath should fuel some fun and informative future APOD's.

Nice photo Rolando; the CARA Project is paying visual dividends. :clap: Here's to more fun with photometry. Good fortune to all this weekend. Let's hope the Mars vs. Siding Spring results bring on the discussions !
Make Mars not Wars

kash earley

Post by kash earley » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:33 am

We are learning to paint skyscapes. Have telescopic equipment but do not know how to use. So enjoyed the eclipse several nights ago. It was amazing...especially the aftermath when the Moon stood out in suspended animation all alone. What a thrill to experience.
This photo of yours is breathtaking. It is a wonder and so very beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Could Care

Post by Could Care » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:23 pm

The first seven posts in this thread are pertinent and interesting. As for the rest - OH BROTHER :roll: !

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:51 pm

Could Care wrote:The first seven posts in this thread are pertinent and interesting. As for the rest - OH BROTHER :roll: !
I agree, although there were some posts interspersed which were not about the use of language, any discussion about the actual content of the Apod got lost.

I agreed with an earlier post that this thread could usefully have been split into a science thread and a language or grammar thread.

M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:09 pm

I try to avoid splitting discussions unless it's really, really off because it confuses people. In this case it was directly pertaining to the APOD and its description of the distance between two objects. There is absolutely no reason for the discussion to be split except for personal whims.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:48 pm

This discussion has at all times stayed on the topic of the APOD, which includes the caption. Indeed, it is very much like a typical scientific debate where there is a clear consensus on a topic, yet a lively and healthy argument about a particular detail within. Use of language is an art form and art complements science.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Could Care wrote:The first seven posts in this thread are pertinent and interesting.
Many times it is comments that deviate somewhat from 100% "pertinent" to the topic that move a thread in an interesting direction. The finer points of the English language are of interest to many long time participants here.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com