APOD: Titan Beyond the Rings (2014 Nov 02)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Titan Beyond the Rings (2014 Nov 02)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:07 am

Image Titan Beyond the Rings

Explanation: When orbiting Saturn, be sure to watch for breathtaking superpositions of moons and rings. One such picturesque vista was visible recently to the robot Cassini spacecraft now orbiting Saturn. In 2006 April, Cassini captured Saturn's A and F rings stretching in front of cloud-shrouded Titan. Near the rings and appearing just above Titan was Epimetheus, a moon which orbits just outside the F ring. The dark space in the A ring is called the Encke Gap, although several thin knotted ringlets and even the small moon Pan orbit there.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: APOD: Titan Beyond the Rings (2014 Nov 02)

Post by owlice » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:53 am

I love this stunning image!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

rj rl
Ensign

Post by rj rl » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:53 am

Such a magnificent system.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:13 am

Bravo Cassini!

TJK

Post by TJK » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:19 pm

Someone please explain: I don't know if it's the geometry or the optics, but how does Titan look so big from the other side of such a large portion of the rings' arch? Or is this a superposition of two photos?

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:51 pm

The rings always remind me of the old vinyl records...the spaces and grooves on an LP separating songs.

This is a great view...

:---[===] *

Jim Armstrong

Post by Jim Armstrong » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:23 pm

I think Cassini may be the best engineering feat ever.
I know "recently" is a relative term, but is it the best one for an eight year old photogrph?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:17 pm

TJK wrote:Someone please explain: I don't know if it's the geometry or the optics, but how does Titan look so big from the other side of such a large portion of the rings' arch? Or is this a superposition of two photos?
Titan is quite large. However, some context helps to bring it down to size. Note the simulation also seems to contain the fainter parts of the ring system which aren't actually seen in the picture.

The following pictures were made using http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/
Tell it you want to see Titan as seen from Cassini on April 28 2006 at 8:15 UTC. I changed it to 8:13 UTC by modifying the GET variables in the URL after submitting.
15° field of view
15° field of view
5° field of view
5° field of view
1° field of view
1° field of view
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:46 pm

geckzilla wrote:
TJK wrote:Someone please explain: I don't know if it's the geometry or the optics, but how does Titan look so big from the other side of such a large portion of the rings' arch? Or is this a superposition of two photos?
Titan is quite large. However, some context helps to bring it down to size. Note the simulation also seems to contain the fainter parts of the ring system which aren't actually seen in the picture.

The following pictures were made using http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/
Tell it you want to see Titan as seen from Cassini on April 28 2006 at 8:15 UTC. I changed it to 8:13 UTC by modifying the GET variables in the URL after submitting.
titan_rfov15_2006-118T08.13.jpg
titan_rfov5_2006-118T08.13.jpg
titan_rfov1_2006-118T08.13.jpg
Adding on to what geck said, it is actually quite a small portion of the rings that we see in the APOD. The Encke Gap is much narrower than the Cassini Division and is a lot closer to the outer edge of the rings. It is quite difficult to even detect the Encke Gap photographically from Earth with a typical amateur scope, while the Cassini Division is quite easily observed just through an eyepiece. From the distance of the Cassini probe, Titan appeared about three times smaller than the Earth's Moon appears to us from Earth. The height of this impossibly beautiful APOD is only about a quarter of a degree.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:03 pm

As others have said, it is a great image. :)

I wonder what the ring system would look like from Saturn? Seeing them from there would I suspect be a truly out-of-this-world experience. :saturn:

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:21 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:I wonder what the ring system would look like from Saturn? Seeing them from there would I suspect be a truly out-of-this-world experience. :saturn:
The trick with viewing anything from Saturn is finding a place to sit down. But here are some illustrations from a Planetary Society blog post showing what they'd look like to us, more or less, if they surrounded Earth.

Rob

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:21 pm

rstevenson wrote:
DavidLeodis wrote:I wonder what the ring system would look like from Saturn? Seeing them from there would I suspect be a truly out-of-this-world experience. :saturn:
The trick with viewing anything from Saturn is finding a place to sit down. But here are some illustrations from a Planetary Society blog post showing what they'd look like to us, more or less, if they surrounded Earth.

Rob
Stunning!

But if the Earth had rings like that we would get a lot more shade than we do now, which may or may not be a good thing. And we would get a lot more meteors! Ouch!
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Ann
Color Commentator

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:29 pm

rstevenson wrote:

Rob
Thanks Rob for that link to its fascinating illustrations. :P

PS. Your "The trick with viewing anything from Saturn is finding a place to sit down" made me :).